Community discussions

MikroTik App

npyoung
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Feature/companion software request for traffic accounting

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:34 pm

I'm looking at the simple queue features in beta 11, and I'd like to address several problems, which may argue for an interface to existing software, or new software.

What I'd like to see is a web page that the customer can look at their bw consumption on a hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly biasis, (ie; cricket). I'd also like to set some params on "penality box" behavior, ie; too much bandwidth consumed over x time, or at the wrong time, both incoming and outgoing. I'd also like to be able to send the customer a automated notice that they are approaching the penality box, with a link back to the previously mentioned page detailing their useage. Perhaps, the same page could allow them to purchase more bw. and exceed the penality box params.

It appears that some of this functionality is being designed into beta 11, but I'd like to see it go further (and perhaps some preliminary documentation so we can experiment with it, P2P, flows, Total Max Limit...what does this stuff do; sounds intrigueing), and include documentation on how to hook it to third party software like Cricket OR a completely separate server-based software that we can purchase (I know I would.) for bw management.

Norm

gianluca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:24 pm

I agree

wjw
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:13 am

One of the guys here has built a system to do this using our cisco gear. I started writing one for mikrotik, but never finished it as he decided to do it instead. I was using wget to get the html traffic accounting info off the mt box, and then parsing each line into a my sql database. From there I can run whatever queries i want on the data to see whats going on...

The biggest problem is storing the data, as we get upwards of 10 million rows a day added to the database.

YazzY
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:25 pm

This can be already done with Radius..
You can also use SNMP to collect data over time and display it on the web storing it in SQL or flat text files.

gianluca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:46 pm

well, we are a fix ISP (ETTH ethernet to the home) company.
we would like to register our clients through radius and then have a billing system (provisioning, customer backoffice with traffic, consumption etc..).

We are thinking about products like freeradius and optigold.

any suggestion on a complete system, or any experience?
thanks
Gianluca

YazzY
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:18 pm

Maybe ICRADIUS with:
PHPicradius: http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpicradius/
or
ManIC http://www.ls-l.net/radius/
Or FreeRadius with dialupadmin:
http://www.freeradius.org/dialupadmin.html

You can also use Active Directory on a Windows box for user management with IAS.

gianluca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:42 pm

Yazzy thank you very much for your answer. we already started with freeradius, there is a lot of documentation on it and looks stable.

About teh billing platform, we probably go to the optigold.
Do you have a billing platform installed and working?

YazzY
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:06 am

No I do not.
We use freeradius as well but we do not need any billing system.
All I do is I store my users in SQL with IP, bandwith, routing if needed with custom made PHP code.
Freeradius is indeed very stable, it never let me down in 2 years of running on the server.
I can remember a few people mentioned custom made billing systems for freeradius on the freeradius list.
You may try to search it as well.
Either way, please let me know what system you chose and if you're pleased with it.