Community discussions

MikroTik App

risch72004
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik hap ac lite powered with poe

Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:56 pm

Hello,

I have the “MikroTik hEX S Router” that is powered with the power cable and I also have the “MikroTik hap ac Lite Access Point Wi‑Fi 5 Dual Band” that I want to power through the POE of “MikroTik hEX S Router”.
How can I achieve this? In which port of each device do I plug the ethernet cable?
Do I need to do any other configuration on the devices?

Thanks in advance

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik hap ac lite powered with poe

Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:24 am

Tonight I'll teach you something new: looking at what is written on the product!
Just think, it's a secret that the greatest experts keep hidden!!!

look here what you can see!!!

What is the PoE out port on hEX S?

What is the PoE in port on hAP ac lite?

And now try to guess which ports the cable goes to!!!

(ah not, no, no no no... no... wait... not on my backdoor, please...)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:31 am

Apart from bullshit, the hex-s already acts as a router? You should transform the hap into an access-point only,
otherwise it does a useless double nat (if it works since WAN and LAN probably would have the same addresses 192.168.88.xxx)

risch72004
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:01 am

Hello,

Thank you for the replies.
I forgot to mention that I have tried the obvious way and the Hap ac Lite did get powered, but the port5 on the Hex S router was blinking red.
According to the Mikrotik wiki (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:P ... _detection) blinking red is not a good thing:
https://imgur.com/A2ma5nS
https://imgur.com/qmpcoM8

So that is why I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong or if the devices need any configuration.

Apart from bullshit, the hex-s already acts as a router? You should transform the hap into an access-point only,
otherwise it does a useless double nat (if it works since WAN and LAN probably would have the same addresses 192.168.88.xxx)
Yes, the Hex S is working as a Router (with CAPsMAN) and the Hap ac Lite is working in CAP mode as an Access Point.

PS: Does the ethernet cable type (crossover vs straight through, T568A vs T568B) play any role?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 am

Please do not quote previous post, unless really necessary.

Do not use 3rd party sites for image, the post have "Attachments" tab for add any type of file.

https://imgur.com/A2ma5nS
It's another product

It's normal blinking of connected device, if you notice, also other leds blink...

>>>PS: Does the ethernet cable type (crossover vs straight through, T568A vs T568B) play any role?
No, cross-cable are not required, use a cable that have same standard on both sides.

girts
just joined

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:02 am

Hello,
What kind of PSU are you using? The behavior of the ether5 LED you are describing can be seen if the hEX S is powered with a high voltage PSU (30-57V) while trying to power on a device that supports only low voltages (18-30V) and the hAP ac lite is one of these devices.

risch72004
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:15 pm

Hello,

What do you mean it is another product? isn't the wiki referring to all mikrotik poe products?
How can I be sure it is working as intended? I don't want to burn anything :D

I am using the provided PSU that came with the Hex S box.
The Hex S does use more power than the Hap ac Lite (12-57 V compared to 10-28 V of hap ac lite), but the mode auto is supposed to detect the power that is needed from the Hap ac Lite and provide only what is needed.
Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:20 pm

What do you mean it is another product? isn't the wiki referring to all mikrotik poe products?
If you read "Models with dependant voltage output" / "Models with selectable voltage output" / "Model-specific LED behaviour"
Doesn't it make you think there are DIFFERENT models?

And if you read "Green colour triangle" / "Red colour triangle", etc.
Where do you see the triangles in that model?

The Hex S does use more power than the Hap ac Lite (12-57 V compared to 10-28 V of hap ac lite)
These values are accepted input voltages for both.
The provided power adapter is 24V 1.2A and for math are 28,8W max.
The hEX S use 6W and hAP ac lite use 8W,
6+8 is les than 28,8 and are sufficient power for both devices.

, but the mode auto is supposed to detect the power that is needed from the Hap ac Lite and provide only what is needed.
Do not invent things by supposition.
Simply you provide 24V to the hEX S, and the hEX S provide exactly same voltage (24V) to the hAP
If you provide for some reason 30V to the hEX S, the hEX S still provide exactly same voltage (30V) to the hAP

Isn't that how it is supposed to work?
Don't make any supposition, read manuals, datasheets and study how current, voltage and power work.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:06 pm

In simple words, the setup you have described should work - the PSU bundled with the hEX S provides a voltage that is within the permitted range of both the hEX S and the hAP ac lite.

When the hAP ac lite is connected to the hEX S, what does /interface ethernet poe monitor [find] show on the hEX S?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:11 pm

rextended, finally the thing I have been missing, read whats on the product. Brilliant!!

Yes MT POE is crap unless you are using it for other MT products so it should work fine.
{ they should have named it SPOE - sorta power over ethernet, or NSPOE non-standard poe }

In terms of the idea of using the "LITE" as simply a switch/AP, that makes sense........

How to.
viewtopic.php?t=182276

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik hap ac lite powered with poe  [SOLVED]

Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:40 pm

I forgot to mention that I have tried the obvious way and the Hap ac Lite did get powered, but the port5 on the Hex S router was blinking red.

The led on the video isn't "blinking red", it's alternating between red and yellow/orange. Yes, it is a bit confusing, but: red led is constantly lit (for PoE out) and green is blinking (according to link activity) ... red light + green light mix to yellow/orange light. It's explained in user manual for hEX PoE (not the same model as your hEX S but the same vintage so it may follow the same logic about lights).

risch72004
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:41 pm

In simple words, the setup you have described should work - the PSU bundled with the hEX S provides a voltage that is within the permitted range of both the hEX S and the hAP ac lite.

When the hAP ac lite is connected to the hEX S, what does /interface ethernet poe monitor [find] show on the hEX S?
This is the output:
"/interface ethernet poe> monitor [find]
name: ether5
poe-out: auto-on
poe-out-status: powered-on
-- [Q quit|D dump|C-z pause]"

The led on the video isn't "blinking red", it's alternating between red and yellow/orange. Yes, it is a bit confusing, but: red led is constantly lit (for PoE out) and green is blinking (according to link activity) ... red light + green light mix to yellow/orange light. It's explained in user manual for hEX PoE (not the same model as your hEX S but the same vintage so it may follow the same logic about lights).
Finally the answer I was looking for! thank you very much!
Thank you all for the help!