Community discussions

MikroTik App

dzseti
just joined
Topic Author

Second third party WireGuard VPN with same network provided

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:09 pm

I have successfully set up a WireGuard VPN to Surfshark (manual setup is possible since August 2022) and would like to set up a second connection. The problem is that the network address for a different location is exactly the same as for the existing VPN network, 10.14.0.2/16. So I can't have a second address list with exactly the same ip's even though this would be on a different interface.

Is there maybe a clever way around this problem?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Second third party WireGuard VPN with same network provided

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:27 pm

Your description is not really clear, so I may have guessed wrong what is your use case.

It's not usual nor recommended, but you can have the same IP address at multiple interfaces in the system. So if you want to use Surfshark public IP addresses in two different countries simultaneously, use a dedicated wireguard interface (with a dedicated local-side port) for each of the two Surfshark connections, and use the names of those interfaces, rather than an IP address, as the gateway parameters of the default routes in the two routing tables. That should be enough, the rest is standard - a masquerade rule matching on either of the two Wireguard interfaces, and assignment of one or the other routing table name to various LAN->internet connections according to some classification parameters.

dzseti
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:55 pm

You guessed right. It is my intention to set up a second WireGuard interface and then route that through to a local area network. The setup up for the first WireGuard involved:

• setting up the WireGuard interface and peer - no network settings needed here except the WAN endpoint (and port) and the allowable ip's, 0.0.0.0/0 in my case
  • setting up a routing table (FIB) to route the chosen traffic to the WireGuard interface (using the name as the gateway as you wrote in your response)
  • three mangle rules:
    • a masquerade (as you wrote)
    • a route-marking rule to direct traffic to the routing table (as you wrote)
    • an MSS change rule to 1360 (the Surfshark WireGuard doesn't work without this - took me hours to sort this out!)

Just following some setup instructions (actually for another WireGuard service) I also set up the address list, which is where I ran into problems, because of the duplication I thought I needed. I'll try the setup for the second interface without doing this to see what happens.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and for guessing right!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Hi there, I am more interested in the requirements ( although on the surface Sindy's solution seems plausible ).

The reason I am leery still, is the WHY>?
Why do you need a second wireguard to surfshark.
Think about it, typically one has such a connection to funnel all ones internet out a wireguard connection someplace else.

So what is driving you to get another connection to do the same thing?
Is your intention to send one subnet out WG1 and another subnet out WG2?
Is your intention to send out internet traffic WG1 for all users and just use WG2 for you as the admin to remotely config your home router while away??

@sindy, these third party vpn annoy the crap outta me, Why cannot they just assign a single wireguard IP address to the customer.
The challenge I would have is making the structure for Wireguard IP network on the mikrotik?
What would be the two different wireguard IP addresses that would work???

10.14.0.2.254/24
10.14.0.X/YY

he has been assigned the same IP for both?
If traffic is heading outbound 0.0.0.0/0 how does the router know which wireguard tunnel to use???? Yes by gwy=wg1 or gwy=wg2

dzseti
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:05 pm

Just so that my overall logic is clear, I have:

• 2 local wireless LAN's: one for non-VPN-ed trafiic; one for VPN-ed traffic to the UK
  • one device that needs to be VPN-ed on a non-UK/non-EU network - maybe it would have been easier to set this up on the device itself rather than do it on the MT, just for some crazy reason I went donw this route

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:42 pm

Not crazy LOL, just needed to understand the why.
Waiting on sindy to comment on wireguard IP address structure for two different wireguard interfaces and a third party vendor that insists on giving you the same IP at their end..................

In the meantime, can you post your complete config on the MT
/export (less the serial number and any actual public IP info (wanip gateway ip etc.)

dzseti
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:35 pm

Not crazy LOL, just needed to understand the why.
Waiting on sindy to comment on wireguard IP address structure for two different wireguard interfaces and a third party vendor that insists on giving you the same IP at their end..................

In the meantime, can you post your complete config on the MT
/export (less the serial number and any actual public IP info (wanip gateway ip etc.)
I've attached it as a file in an email to you. It contains so much rubbish not related to the issue in hand like ipsec settings (not now used), scripts, wireless settings etc etc that it would drive most readers here crazy

I've tried to get the two WIreGuard VPN's working. Both now have live connections, but without an address list: 10.14.0.2/16 network 10.14.0.0 interface [WireGuard interface] I can't get the VPN to work. So I'm back to my original problem

Looking at your profile I see we are similarly seasoned people :D Thank you too for spending time on this for me

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:57 pm

Both now have live connections, but without an address list: 10.14.0.2/16 network 10.14.0.0 interface [WireGuard interface] I can't get the VPN to work.
Oh, so it is a "dialect" issue. In the command line dialect, there is an /ip address table and an /ip firewall address-list table; in the Winbox dialect, the former one is titled Address List (I'm not the one to ask why).

So when someone mentions an "address list", all command-line folks understand it as the latter, which is usually used to match traffic in firewall rules.

Since you actually have in mind the IP address as your post shows, go ahead and assign exactly the same IP address and mask to both the WG interfaces. Or, if doing so would cause headache to you, you may not assign that address to any of the WG interfaces, and just use an action=srcnat to-addresses=10.14.0.2 instead of action=masquerade in chain srcnat of /ip firewall nat for traffic outgoing via those WG interfaces.

dzseti
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Second third party WireGuard VPN with same network provided  [SOLVED]

Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:41 pm

Both now have live connections, but without an address list: 10.14.0.2/16 network 10.14.0.0 interface [WireGuard interface] I can't get the VPN to work.
Oh, so it is a "dialect" issue. In the command line dialect, there is an /ip address table and an /ip firewall address-list table; in the Winbox dialect, the former one is titled Address List (I'm not the one to ask why).

So when someone mentions an "address list", all command-line folks understand it as the latter, which is usually used to match traffic in firewall rules.

Since you actually have in mind the IP address as your post shows, go ahead and assign exactly the same IP address and mask to both the WG interfaces. Or, if doing so would cause headache to you, you may not assign that address to any of the WG interfaces, and just use an action=srcnat to-addresses=10.14.0.2 instead of action=masquerade in chain srcnat of /ip firewall nat for traffic outgoing via those WG interfaces.

Yes, you're right. I've been using WinBox so much and reading the title "Address List" when it's really a table of addresses, that I've confused most readers. I also had a mental block about assigning two interfaces to one one address, but this is actually okay.

So assigning the two interfaces to one ip address, 10.14.0.2/16, has solved the problem. I now have a LAN here linked to a UK VPN and one device on the network linked to a non-UK, non-EU (Serbian) VPN. All seems to be working.

Many, many thanks @sindy and @anav for all your time and help. I've learnt alot with this issue. Just an overblown amateur here really :lol:

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:22 pm

Me, too, I think we are actually sane, and do not have the same mental block, but all those that accept and like to use the same IP address for different interfaces are insane :-) Regardless if its perfectly legitimate LOL.

Glad you got it working!!

Pertty please show us the two DAC routes created by such a monstrous approach.
presuming
<dac> 10.14.0.0/24 gwy=wireguard1 table=main
<dac> 10.14.0.0/24 gwy=wireguard2 table=main

dzseti
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:06 pm

Me, too, I think we are actually sane, and do not have the same mental block, but all those that accept and like to use the same IP address for different interfaces are insane :-) Regardless if its perfectly legitimate LOL.

Glad you got it working!!

Pertty please show us the two DAC routes created by such a monstrous approach.
presuming
<dac> 10.14.0.0/24 gwy=wireguard1 table=main
<dac> 10.14.0.0/24 gwy=wireguard2 table=main

Is this the magic mushroom that you wanted to see?

Yes, felt strange doing this, but works. So I've joined the club of the insane. Making progress then...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:53 pm

Nice! Glad its working for you.

dzseti
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:41 pm

Just an addendum to all this. Traffic on one of the WireGuard VPN's had connections failling even though outward traffic was flowing okay

The problematic VPN was the one with route marking from a single device. I originally had the address in the list (yes, the address list this time :lol: ) set as 192.168.99.64 (the other VPN was passing traffic for a whole network 192.168.88.0/24 and was working fully)

Turns out that I had to change the single ip address to include the network mask as well, ie 192.168.99.64/24, then everything was fine. Not sure I understand exactly why, but is all okay now

A great learning weekend for me!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:14 pm

Yup the IP address for each wireguard interface should be fully setup, in order for the router to work its magic.
IP address=W.X.Y.Z/24 gwy=wireguardinterface_name

Thats all you need to do the router will fill in the rest.....

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:04 am

I originally had the address in the list (yes, the address list this time :lol: ) set as 192.168.99.64 ... I had to change the single ip address to include the network mask as well, ie 192.168.99.64/24, then everything was fine.
That's really strange, looks like the IP address of the "Serbian" host is actually not 192.168.99.64 but something else in 192.168.99.0/24. If you add any address with a prefix length other than 32 to an address-list, it is automatically converted to a network address:

[me@myTik] > ip firewall address-list add list=teszt address=192.168.99.64/24
[me@myTik] > ip firewall address-list print where list=teszt
Flags: X - disabled, D - dynamic
# LIST ADDRESS CREATION-TIME TIMEOUT
0 teszt 192.168.99.0/24 sep/26/2022 10:00:36

Yelyah
just joined

Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:55 pm

Yes, you're right. I've been using WinBox so much and reading the title "Address List" when it's really a table of addresses, that I've confused most readers. I also had a mental block about assigning two interfaces to one one address, but this is actually okay.

So assigning the two interfaces to one ip address, 10.14.0.2/16, has solved the problem. I now have a LAN here linked to a UK VPN and one device on the network linked to a non-UK, non-EU (Serbian) VPN. All seems to be working.

Many, many thanks @sindy and @anav for all your time and help. I've learnt alot with this issue. Just an overblown amateur here really :lol:

Hi im facing same problem can you elaborate how did you made it work, because when i try to assign same ip to 2 wireguard interface the other turns red and invalid

Yelyah
just joined

Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:58 pm

Yup the IP address for each wireguard interface should be fully setup, in order for the router to work its magic.
IP address=W.X.Y.Z/24 gwy=wireguardinterface_name

Thats all you need to do the router will fill in the rest.....
Hi anav I always saw your replies on the forum which always helped me, can I ask for help with this one same scenario and same problem, but i cant assign same ip address to both of my wireguard interface the other always turn red and it says invalid. how can i replicate his success. Thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:10 pm

Hmm good question.
Post your config.
/export file=anynameyouwish ( minus router serial number, public WANIP informaiton, keys, long dhcp lease lists etc.)
Last edited by anav on Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yelyah
just joined

Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 pm

Hi sindy I cannot replicate what solved the problem Im facing the same scenario and same problem but everytime i try to assign same ip to my 2 wireguard interface the other turns red and says invalid. Please help

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:21 pm

Hi im facing same problem can you elaborate how did you made it work, because when i try to assign same ip to 2 wireguard interface the other turns red and invalid
Something else must be wrong or you are running a strange version of RouterOS:
[me@myTik] > ip address/print where interface~"w"
Columns: ADDRESS, NETWORK, INTERFACE
# ADDRESS           NETWORK        INTERFACE
2 192.168.144.1/24  192.168.144.0  wg-wst-srv
3 192.168.144.1/24  192.168.144.0  wg1
Nothing red, no complaints, not even in Winbox. RouterOS 7.12.

Show your export.

Yelyah
just joined

Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:05 pm

Something else must be wrong or you are running a strange version of RouterOS:
[me@myTik] > ip address/print where interface~"w"
Columns: ADDRESS, NETWORK, INTERFACE
# ADDRESS           NETWORK        INTERFACE
2 192.168.144.1/24  192.168.144.0  wg-wst-srv
3 192.168.144.1/24  192.168.144.0  wg1
Nothing red, no complaints, not even in Winbox. RouterOS 7.12.

Show your export.
Hi thanks for the response Im running v7.9.2
heres a screenshot

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:16 pm

heres a screenshot
I did not ask for a screenshot, I do believe you when you say it is red, no need to prove it to me by a screenshot. I asked for an export to see what is wrong in the configuration.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:25 pm

Also recommend you move to 7.12 once we have resolved the issue.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:26 pm

However, in my setup, the IP address in the list in Winbox looks exactly this way if I disable the Wireguard interface it is attached to. Could it be as simple as that at your end as well?

Yelyah
just joined

Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:26 pm

heres a screenshot
I did not ask for a screenshot, I do believe you when you say it is red, no need to prove it to me by a screenshot. I asked for an export to see what is wrong in the configuration.
Yeah thanks I made it work in other thread someone said the fix is with listening port and it works for me. There is one question that is away from this topic. now that i have 2 surfshark wireguard vpn running, how can i theoretically make wireguard1 use only ISP1, and and wireguard2 use only ISP2? or is it possible?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:37 pm

in other thread someone said the fix is with listening port
So you had two interfaces listening on the same port? If so, one of them must have been showing an error too, so the inactive address associated to it was just a consequence.

now that i have 2 surfshark wireguard vpn running, how can i theoretically make wireguard1 use only ISP1, and and wireguard2 use only ISP2? or is it possible?
I don't know how dynamic the addresses of the two Wireguard servers are - if you describe the peers as IP addresses, they may be static, if you describe them as FQDNs, they are likely dynamic.

For static addresses of servers, a /32 route to each of the servers via a gateway of the corresponding ISP is enough; for dynamically changing addresses of servers, you'll need to use policy routing. I presume you already do use it to choose between the two WG tunnels, so it should not be a big deal as you already understand the concept.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:49 pm

to make recommendations for the two WG, need to see config
/export file=anynameyouwish ( minus router serial #, any publicWANIP information, keys, long dhcp lease lists etc..)

Yelyah
just joined

Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:16 pm

to make recommendations for the two WG, need to see config
/export file=anynameyouwish ( minus router serial #, any publicWANIP information, keys, long dhcp lease lists etc..)
here

If its also possible i also want to route all my tcp and udp ports 433,80 to wireguard1 and other connections that arent 433,80 to wireguard2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:07 pm

Well in terms of requirements, routing ports is nonsensical.
What is the user traffic that you are trying to execute.

ex. users from LANA on router A need to access LANB on Router B ( via wireguar )
users from LANC on router A need to use internet available at Router B
etc...
If worded in terms of devices and users and NOT config speak, we can make progress thats fruitful.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:12 pm

Quick Look Config

1. Listening port settings for the interface, on the client device, can be anything and do not have to match the ENDPOINT listening port and are basically random. In your case highly recommend to make them different.
/interface wireguard
add listen-port=51820 mtu=1420 name=wireguard1
add listen-port=51820 mtu=1420 name=wireguard2

TO
add listen-port=51821 mtu=1420 name=wireguard1
add listen-port=51822 mtu=1420 name=wireguard2[/i]

2. I must admit, over my head how they can assign you the same IP twice, which is bad enough, but doable, but then give you the same
endpoint port for both as well............ I am not sure how that works, but someone else probably does.....
I suppose on your end its not so bad to keep separation by using the different wireguard interface name and on the third party end,
the separation is managed by private/public key matching.

3. Confused by your VLAN nomenclature.............
/interface vlan
add interface=ether7 name="vlan10 eth" vlan-id=10
add interface=sfp-sfpplus1 name="vlan10 sfp" vlan-id=10

I understand its possible to put vlan10 to multiple interfaces...........
What I dont understand is the purpose of a different name. I dont think thats helpful as the traffic is the same vlan.
If you want a different vlan then use a different number along with diff name.\

4. I will confess I do not have a hope in heck of understanding what you are doing at all both externally WANS, and internally PPP servers etc..
Hopefully others with more knowledge can help.

Yelyah
just joined

Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:11 am

Quick Look Config

1. Listening port settings for the interface, on the client device, can be anything and do not have to match the ENDPOINT listening port and are basically random. In your case highly recommend to make them different.
/interface wireguard
add listen-port=51820 mtu=1420 name=wireguard1
add listen-port=51820 mtu=1420 name=wireguard2

TO
add listen-port=51821 mtu=1420 name=wireguard1
add listen-port=51822 mtu=1420 name=wireguard2[/i]

2. I must admit, over my head how they can assign you the same IP twice, which is bad enough, but doable, but then give you the same
endpoint port for both as well............ I am not sure how that works, but someone else probably does.....
I suppose on your end its not so bad to keep separation by using the different wireguard interface name and on the third party end,
the separation is managed by private/public key matching.

3. Confused by your VLAN nomenclature.............
/interface vlan
add interface=ether7 name="vlan10 eth" vlan-id=10
add interface=sfp-sfpplus1 name="vlan10 sfp" vlan-id=10

I understand its possible to put vlan10 to multiple interfaces...........
What I dont understand is the purpose of a different name. I dont think thats helpful as the traffic is the same vlan.
If you want a different vlan then use a different number along with diff name.\

4. I will confess I do not have a hope in heck of understanding what you are doing at all both externally WANS, and internally PPP servers etc..
Hopefully others with more knowledge can help.
I need to route all the browsing ports because our isp is throttling our speed except for gaming, gaming doesn't seem to be affected but our browsing are. about the vlan yeah i meant to delete that just forgot about it it used to be used on for sfp but sfp broke so i relocated it to other ether