Community discussions

MikroTik App

trottolino1970
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

antispam

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:35 pm

where I can find one script for the control of the Spam?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: antispam

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:47 pm

Search the forum, there was one guy who wrote a script that turns RouterOS router into antispam filter.

rafa_lore
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:02 am

Hello!!
Like say MRZ, look for in the Wiki, there is an articule written by Alessio that explain how to make an AntiSpam with a server HotSpot
Good Bye
Rafael Lore

trottolino1970
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:31 am

Hello!!
Like say MRZ, look for in the Wiki, there is an articule written by Alessio that explain how to make an AntiSpam with a server HotSpot
Good Bye
Rafael Lore
ok but iwant with a pppoe server

rafa_lore
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:42 pm

Well change the hotspot variable for what you want in PPPoE

trottolino1970
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:52 pm

Well change the hotspot variable for what you want in PPPoE

I must only change hotspot with pppoe?

rafa_lore
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:36 pm

I've not do it with pppoe, buy look the script and you will see watch you have to change

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:40 am

I think that spam control should be the task of the mailserver, not the router.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:58 pm

I think that spam control should be the task of the mailserver, not the router.
Actually, the most efficient antispam measure is blocking IP's known as malicious sources. That does not imply spam only but any other kind of malicious behavior.

Router is the best place to do it. I even think that MT should have an option to check IP's based on remote RBL lists.

If I recall well, mentioned script does exaclty that, but solutions is not simple and possibly takes much resources as it is done through MT scripting engine. It would be much more elegant and simpler if MT could do it on system level. After all if MT script can do it. MT could do it much better directly, right?

vklimovs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:11 pm

Wiki says:
A router is a device that extracts the destination of a packet it receives, selects the best path to that destination, and forwards data packets to the next device along this path. They connect networks together; a LAN to a WAN for example, to access the Internet...
There is no sign of word e-mail in the article itself. Router is not mail filter. If you want to do comprehensive mail filtering dst-nat port 25 to Linux box, do SA, ClamAV, rbl and what not there.

Also blocking incoming SMTP connections is bad idea, because sometimes it will block legitimate sources. This is because rbl databases are most often built on people reporting IP addresses to them, and somebody can report legitimate IP either by mistake or deliberately.

Nobody likes spam, but I think everybody would prefer still receive some, and receive all legitimate mail, than not receive spam at all and occasionally loose some business correspondence.

Good idea is to do score base filtering, and use rbl as one of the sources for scoring. E.g. add some score to e-mail if source IP is rbl listed.

Best regards,
Vyacheslav

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:00 pm

MT router is device that is used both for routing and firewalling traffic. Blocking unwanted connections is standard usage of the router.

I really think this is not place to debate if RBL lists are valid or not. Point is to have an option to use them, and how one would use it is it it just his matter.

MT is advertized as a tool that gives admin a number of options which he may use to get to his goal. Option to check RBL would be one great tool among others.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:11 pm

I agree with both of you. We will see what we can do in this matter, for now - use mentioned scripts.

glaurutis
just joined

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:07 pm

Well i have a different diagram in my network. I have some servers behind my mikrotik ( Mail Server (this dont work very fine, im now working to migrate this to a linux with qmail) ), Web server, some housing, streaming servers, voip servers, and few more serves. My problem is i relaying or something but i dont do this, only i use really account in the mail server. But i have a lot of hosting and a lot of domain with are configured on the mail server, i limit the connection to smtp port to 10, 32 but only catch some ips. I see another expmple in dimitry on firewalling but this is not so good. Any of you do some extra configuration for mail servet behind a mk router?

Gustavo

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:11 pm

You have to stop relaying on mail server. That the job mail server has to do. I also run mail server on my network, behind the Mikrotik, and it works fine, without any special protection on router side. But I am in control of all domains hosted on that mail server, and it is easy for me to control outside connections with relaying intention.

However, if you run public server for hosting domains you do not control, then mail relaying is actually option that you cannot disable, as it is sure that some of your users want to use server form the outside network to send email to outside world.

You have some options to handle this too:

- one, check if your server may be set to allow SMTP connection which tries to relay, only if it was preceded with appropriate POP3 from the same IP (user has to authenticate on pop3). Option is usually called POP3 before SMTP.

- second, see if you may set mail server to require user to authenticate for SMTP connection too. That way, SMTP relaying would be allowed only to those who authenticated, meaning - your clients.
I agree with both of you. We will see what we can do in this matter, for now - use mentioned scripts.
Great news. I would like to see this option available in filter rules, and maybe even mangling. Some kind of caching results would be good too.