MikroTik App

rkrisi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Help in setting up VRF routing

Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:35 pm

Hi all!

I have an RB4011 router and a hexS switch. RB4011 does routing, hexS only provides switch access ports to hosts.

Uplink internet is connected to RB4011 directly. I want to add a second (LTE) backup connection to the network. Since RB4011 does not have any LTE and USB interface (and also located in a rack unit, deep inside my house) I thought about adding this LTE to the hexS. It has USB and it is near a window with great coverage.

The only hassle with this config, that I can't easily add it as a default route, because there are hosts connected directly to this switch. Routing should be done on RB4011 and it should decide where to send packets (this part is configured and works correctly).

However I can't setup VRF correctly. I have attached a drawing to this post.

So the link between the two device are a VLAN trunk. So I added a VLAN, named vlan_fallback. Setup recursive routing and everything for this vlan on RB4011 to use it as a backup line. It works correctly, switches to this route if the main line is out.

On the hex S I have configured the LTE. I have tested it with a simple config (just attached the LTE USB modem) and it worked correctly.
Now I moved the LTE interface to a VRF called fallback. Added default route in this VRF towards the LTE interface. Setup routing marks and everything as stated in the docs.
Also I have set masquerade on RB4011 for vlan_fallback interface (so that I don't have to specify all routes on hex S).
But I can't even ping anything even from the hexS switch.
/ping 8.8.8.8 vrf=fallback 
  SEQ HOST                                     SIZE TTL TIME       STATUS                                                             
    0                                                              no route to host                                                   
    1                                                              no route to host                                                   
    2                                                              no route to host                                                   
    sent=3 received=0 packet-loss=100% 
Can anyone help where this config might be wrong and how it could be simplfied?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emunt6
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Help in setting up VRF routing

Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:25 am

rkrisi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Help in setting up VRF routing  [SOLVED]

Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:43 pm

Thanks for everyone!

My initial config and idea was right, but it did not work first because some old VRF with the same name was stuck in the router.

Recreating the VRF with different name solved all problems