Community discussions

MikroTik App

dubfunkle
just joined
Topic Author

Stuck on Starting Services

Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:23 am

Hi guys, I was working on setting up a new RB3011 Ui AS-RM to replace an old hap ac^2. I loaded the config and had to change a few like minor things like port mismatches since one had 5 ports and this has 10. Anyway everything was working well, saved the config and turned off the router. Today I started it up to continue working but the Mikrotik is stuck on "starting services". I did routerboot and am able to reset config and start again. Tried loading the backup I did but again it gets stuck in "starting services".

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any idea why this might be happening? Or if there is any way how I can view some log to understand better cause it seems that something in the config file is not allowing the mikrotik to fully load.

Thanks.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Stuck on Starting Services  [SOLVED]

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:52 pm

When "moving" config between different device models, never use binary backup (these are intended to be imported on very same device, importing on another device of same model works but one has to manually fix a few things). "Almost safe" thing is to export config from old device to text file and import it on the new device. This also usually doesn't work out of the box, but since you have text config, you can adjust things to make import work. There are, of course, a few gotchas ... the biggest being that users and certificates are not exported to text file. For certificates one has to import original files (I'm not sure if it's even possible to export certificates to files manually) on new device, also users have to be created manually.

dubfunkle
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Stuck on Starting Services

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:07 pm

Thanks for your reply! Will keep that in mind for the next one to do. As for the issue I noticed that I was still able to login despite the "starting services" on the LCD. My bad as I think I had not tried to login before or it failed when I tried. Anyways I logged in and disabled some old PPP tunnels that were trying to connect. Rebooted the Mikrotik and that seems to have fixed it but wasn't convinced so I enabled back the tunnels, restarted and now it loaded again without any issues.

No idea what that was tbh but could be an issue with the LCD since I was still able to login despite the error message. Thanks anyway for the quick support.

Regards,
Steven