Community discussions

MikroTik App

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Ax2 with 7.6 default password problem

Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:34 pm

Today is super day...2pcs of Ax2 ordered in 2022 are delivering today.
Or not?
I can`t login via Winbox or web to these routers because wrong user or password.
I`v tried reset the both with no change.
I can use netinstall but my question is...is there some news in login or pass in Ax2 or ROS 7.6?
Have you ever meet with this problem?
I`ve use the last Winbox 3.37.
Last edited by fleg on Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Ax2 with 7.6 default password problem  [SOLVED]

Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:35 pm

The sticker contains the password. Just write what is on it.

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Ax2 with 7.6 default password problem

Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:48 pm

F...you guys...I``m old man with old eyes and you added little pasword with nano letters on the bottom?
Very very bad idea.
Thanks for answer mate.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:59 pm

That's not Mikrotik's idea. Afaik it is EU legislation for all new devices to have unique default passwords.

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:29 pm

But letters could be bigger.
Btw debug mode in country are gone forever too?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:30 pm

Also regulation

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:19 pm

That's where a smartphone camera with zoom comes in quite handy (I got the same problem yet my smartphone is always with me) :lol:

fleg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:26 pm

That's where a smartphone camera with zoom comes in quite handy (I got the same problem yet my smartphone is always with me) :lol:
Of course I`ve have to used smartphone.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:55 pm

How this works exactly? Netinstall still does reset password to blank, right? Or, if the sticker gets lost, will I have not very practical (but secure!) door stopper?

massinia
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:06 pm

How this works exactly? Netinstall still does reset password to blank, right? Or, if the sticker gets lost, will I have not very practical (but secure!) door stopper?
Yes, after netinstall or a reset without the wave2 package installed admin password and configuration is empty.
After you reinstall wave2 the password reverts to the one on the sticker.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:08 pm

its a pull out tab type sticker on the AX3. but thanks for the reminder to take a picture of the bloody thing!!!

Moc
just joined

Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:07 pm

Oh boy... Mikrotik is turning evil !!! You need better font, better spacing or size for your password ! I tried to read it with my eye, and I still couldn't be sure, and after zooming in with a camera, I understand why I had issue reading it ! Is the goal is to make it even hard for OCR software to recognize it ? Is it a trial to be used as a captcha ? :)

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:50 pm

After many months, finally just got a couple hAPax3 for testing. I was caught off guard myself by this one. The Quick Start guide certainly doesn't suggest you need to pull apart the unit to find the sticker... I actually thought it was manufacturing defect initially – "my unit has no sticker!" – until I searched...

But is there a factory reset mode that get it back to the printed sticker? Otherwise, the WRONG password is permanently attached the unit. Why not just make it a REMOVABLE sticker if /system/reset-configuration doesn't restore it the "factory" state? And, yeah very hard to read – my iPhone even had trouble getting a photo to focus on it.

My bigger grip is I already hate the RED Wi-Fi is "factory locked to the UnitedStated3" message in /interfaces – why do I care, I bought a US model? RED colored things normally indicate a problem to an end user (or admin) needed to fix. But there is nothing to fix – a US model is required by FCC to be locked, and out of my control.

So the user experience for all US customers is a "red" error-ish message appearing everytime someone opens winbox/webfig with the hAPax's?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:16 am

Same sort of red message as when using PPTP ?
Annoying...

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:35 am

Except here it just comes out of the box, on a home unit, with a red error message, as an initial experience. This is after you've likely played hide-and-seek with where the password is after unboxing. I even RTFM'ed — neither the online manual nor the printed one describe that there is a "pull tag one-time password".

Anyway, still room for improvement in easy-of-use on these AX home models... While I can see the per-unit password is annoying to seasoned admins, it likely more confusing for an end-user if "reset to default" uses a "different" password (e.g. no password) than the one you likely photographed when setting it up the first time.

Same sort of red message as when using PPTP ?
Annoying...
Yup...

They pick weird things to warn people about. I've never understood the PPTP one...EoIP without IPSec doesn't get the RED treatment? If it's so dangerous, device-lock and if unlocked don't show error...

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:51 pm

FWIW, been testing ax3 more.
Except here it just comes out of the box, on a home unit, with a red error message, as an initial experience.
This was true about the RED wi-fi warning, but may be limited to v7.6. It's no longer RED after upgrading the v7.8+firmware.

Now you likely still need to be closer than 22 inches (e.g. FCC minimum safe distance for Wi-Fi) of the unit to see the password ;). And you need to do multiple times — once for wi-fi, once to login initially, then once again at the expired password prompt in webfig/winbox — so still think the whole process isn't very "user friendly". They also make no effort to avoid troublesome letters: my default password has both a "B" and "8", and "5" and "S" in it.

But at least the red ink wasn't permanent.

Maybe they should grab someone from off the streets of Riga & have them unbox one of these on their YouTube live – now that be entertaining.