MikroTik App

phendry
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Queueing Vlan Traffic

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:56 am

Hi all,

I have been playing a little with a new topology using various features of RC9. What I'm doing is bridging the wireless (using WDS) to the ethernet port on the AP then adding a vlan on the cpe and core router either side of the AP. By doing this I don't have to configure vlans on the ap's just the end devices which makes failing over to a different AP in the event of a problem much simpler to manage. This works fine however I now need to prioritise the traffic flowing through the AP to ensure good performance for any VoIP traffic. I am prioritising on the core router by setting the DSCP bits on the traffic before it gets vlan tagged. At the AP I look for these bits and mark the packet appropriately which all works fine (traffic count increases on the firewall rules). I then add a queue that looks for the marked packets but this never seems to increment. I have applied the queue to every interface on the AP but despite the stats increasing for the mangle rule they never increase for the queue.

I tried removing the vlan from the cpe side and just bridging the wireless on the ap to a vlan on the ethernet of the AP. Again I set the DSCP bits on the core and could match these with a mangle rule on the AP but this time they also hit the queue that was looking for the marked packets. This suggests that for some reason the AP doesn't queue vlan tagged traffic it sends out the wireless interface.

Has anyone else tried this kind of setup? It would be handy to have certain customers on there own vlan and prioritize there VoIP traffic at the AP whilst still keeping the traffic in the vlan.

npbrasil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Queueing Vlan Traffic

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:18 am

phendry
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:57 am

I knew the first reply would be telling me to tick the "Use IP Firewall" and "Use IP Firewall For VLAN" boxes. These boxes where ticked during both tests and the 2nd test would not have succeeded without it.

Any other suggestions?

npbrasil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:17 am

In bridge, filters, advanced there is options for vlan (vlan id, etc), then mark the packets in action and create queue in queue tree or simple. Just a idea, not tested.

phendry
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:38 am

In bridge, filters, advanced there is options for vlan (vlan id, etc), then mark the packets in action and create queue in queue tree or simple. Just a idea, not tested.
I'll give it a go but would imagine the same process will be looking for the same mark to queue the traffic.