Member Candidate
Topic Author

hamachi server

Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:07 pm

hi,

anyone ever tried hamachi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi
https://secure.logmein.com/products/ham ... sp?lang=en

Is it possible to set our MT become a hamachi center? It really help us to provide our customer with local gaming and local monitoring. 8)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: hamachi server

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:18 pm

why use hamachi if you can use PPTP or L2TP? it's built into windows and RouterOS already, and supplies more features (correct me if i'm wrong)

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:36 am

Dear Normis,

yes, PPtP and L2TP is good enough for our router based but the hamachi has the ability to find the shortest path for the client.

Here's the scenario :

Client A and Client B are on the same network, they are configure to tunnel to PPTP server on the internet which has 200 ms round trip for each client, so when A tries to ping B (through the PPtP ip) it would get 400 ms because the package is travelling from A - PPtp Server - B

But for the hamachi, if A are connected to B through the hamachi server, it would find the shortest path for A to B, and if we ping from A to B, it would be 1 ms.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:47 am

the shortest path usually is through the server, no? :)

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:55 pm

shielder means that when A and B are neighbours, they use direct connection, not via hamachi server

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:30 pm

Hamaci uses 255.0.0.0 as network mask. VPN uses 255.255.255.255.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:03 am

Actually i don't think it's the subnet that makes it become like this. It's the routing itself. we can also set a 255.0.0.0 on VPN, but still the connection goes from client-server-client

iam8up

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:57 am

hi,

anyone ever tried hamachi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi
https://secure.logmein.com/products/ham ... sp?lang=en

Is it possible to set our MT become a hamachi center? It really help us to provide our customer with local gaming and local monitoring. 8)
I think what you're asking is if it is possible to have Hamachi connect to a MT. The answer is no.

What you can do is start up a PPTP server and add secrets for people to connect to, then get a server on there.

I really don't see the use in this, though I have lost a lot of gaming time over the years.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:11 am

Thing is when you use Hamachi VPN, all members of your virtual network behave like they are connected to a single switch. Everything works including Network Neighborhood in MS Windows network. It would be very good if there is an option in Mikrotik to create such virtual network.

Znuff
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Hamachi is a proprietary client and server application. You can't setup a server... DOH.

And even if you could: how the hell would you make the client application to connect to your own server?

Hamachi uses the address range 5.0.0.0/8 wich is reserved address space especially for this kind of applications. Also Hamachi uses peer2peer connections to connect clients.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:25 pm

Znuff, yes we understand that hamachi is a proprietary client server application, we are just thinking of whether it's possible for mikrotik developer to develop mikrotik to have the same function as hamachi.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:55 am

Maybe it would be possible with new bridging capabilites of MT 3, if you connect users through vpn and then just bridge them all.

dorijan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:43 pm

I was wondering did you think then, to make Mikrotik capable of connecting to hamachi network only for administration. I often have my mikrotik boxes behind some other router I cannot touch, so it is difficult to forward ports for administration. I could create pptp connection to some pptp concentrator, but it would be pain in the ass...so for administration this would be great...As I see, there is a package for linux, so I suppose it would not be a problem implementing it...thank you...

JJX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:20 pm

Hamachi has a linux version, MT can create a package for hamachi?

It would be a nice feature :)

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:54 pm

Well, you can always turn your RouterBoard into a Linux box by replacing ROS with Openwrt or Debian. Then you can install and run your own Linux apps as desired or your talent allows.

Short of that, I doubt you will see Mikrotik add something like Hamachi to RouterOS.

Tom

QpoX

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:23 am

When you have something like PPTP/OpenVPN and EoIP you don't really need hamachi!
I've used hamachi in the past with some problems...
Like:
- no connection to the hamachi server.
- problems with firewall on windows.
- it just dies on Linux.
- no data between two or more links on the same group, and all was online.
- when the internet connection was down the Linux version did not always come back online, it needed a restart of the service.

This makes it really bad for use in RouterOS, when it is not the stable!

(i last used it for about 2-3 years ago).

But i do really like the idear behind Hamachi!

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:43 am

Hamachi has a linux version, MT can create a package for hamachi?

It would be a nice feature :)
I agree. If not too hard. The Easy Mesh behind NAT would be nice:
Mesh networking: Connect all of your network clients to each other. Quickly and easily create a simple, virtual, mesh network that allows remote machines to directly connect to each other
Last edited by NetworkPro on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

JJX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:15 pm

Well, you can always turn your RouterBoard into a Linux box by replacing ROS with Openwrt or Debian. Then you can install and run your own Linux apps as desired or your talent allows.

Short of that, I doubt you will see Mikrotik add something like Hamachi to RouterOS.

Tom
MT has an amazing interface for wireless and is ready to use in 20 minutes! Linux cant do that (yet). Please dont start a flame ;)

QpoX

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:54 pm

Tom
MT has an amazing interface for wireless and is ready to use in 20 minutes! Linux cant do that (yet). Please dont start a flame ;)
RouterOS is Linux based and there is ALOT of interfaces to setup wifi with Linux!
Like x-wrt for openwrt...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:56 pm

there is this russian comic about linux I saw somewhere, it said something like this "you can build a trolley bus from a piece of bread and an assortment of other parts, but ... why?"

why spend lots of time and fight with all these mostly unsupported and alpha stage components, when you can have one readymade product with technical support?

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:21 am

Hello MikroTik staff,

The Feature Request is an easy to use L2 VPN Mesh (P2P) with NAT Traversal, where the specifics are controlled and assisted by the server (RouterOS).

rafaelmartinmariano
just joined

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Maybe MT developers can develop EoIP tunneling for other platform? like WIndows, MacOS, Linux etc. so that we don't need another mikrotik to tunnel to main mikrotik.and bridge VPN connection on main MT. Hopefully they will implement a solution for this in the future.