Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

R.F interference question

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:35 am

cables on tower 150' long PoE's at bottom , tower is grounded to a 200' well cased all the way down. I have crazy Ethernet problems. 1 A.P. on the top and about 8 backhauls on it. All the Ethernet is in one bundle tie wrapped to the leg. I will have intermitted ping times and start to drop packets. (all cables terminate at cisco switch) When pings start to fall from remote location, I physically connect to the device with laptop and no problems with pings. As soon as it is attached to switch pings start suckin. I have replaced switch, exchanged cables and devices, cards etc. And still have crazy problems.(all equipment is Mikrotik). Should STP cable be grounded also? and if you ground cable to tower at one end and ground plate at bottom doesn't this induce rf through tower and ground of STP cable into switch room at base of tower? I forgot to mention there is equipment for Radio station that is live in the same building at base of tower. I know there is R.F there but, can I try and force it away from our equipment? Any suggestions would be helpful.

NickW
just joined

Re: R.F interference question

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:43 pm

STP should be grounded, but your problem is the Radio station, they tend to pump out massive wattage..

Do you have any way to RF shield the switch? I was talking to a technician about installing a couple repeaters on a radio tower, he said the biggest problem was ensuring the continuity of the shielding, for a start he recommended to run the LAN cables through steel tubes, but said that all it took was a small gap in a join for the RF to enter and disturb the signal..

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: R.F interference question

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:55 pm

Thanks for the advice, anyone else?