Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Calling all experts :) Advice needed

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:23 am

Hi Guys, this is more advice i'm seeking than anything else.

At the moment we apply our QOS on our edge router, which marks packets as their type (http, dns, https, etc etc) and we have queues to give each type, or types a value between one and 8. Then we have queues for customers based on their IP with the queues for the traffic types attached to each one, so we can alter this for each customer. So far this works fairly well.

As our backhauls are not congested its not been an issue to prioritise traffic over our network until it gets to our edge router, but as we're growing im now looking at doing this. In your opinions how would be the best way to do this? I had thought to do something similar to our edge for the traffic types, but without the customer specific queues. IS there anything wrong with this?

Lookin forward to some ideas! Cheers!

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Calling all experts :) Advice needed

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:00 pm

Belyivulk -

I prioritze data on the backhauls and APs, mostly for VoIP, and 'down prioritze' ftp and p2p stuff.

The bulk of prioritizing is done at the edge routers much like what you are doing now though.

I have been experimenting with setting TOS values at the edge routers now (APs later) so that my backhaul/AP units don't have to do so much (basically prioritizing is like filtering - it takes CPU time to do it...). They call it something else now, DC something, something...basically it's TOS. I don't have a lot of info to share on it right now but perhaps this gives you a direction to look to. It does look promising and it reaches all routers in the chain without having to 'tell' them to make this or that a priority....

Thom
Thom Lawless
General Manager
RapidWiFi, LLC
thom.lawless [at] rapidwifi.com