Community discussions

MikroTik App

Inssomniak
Topic Author

OSPF questions.. Cant get this to work

Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:26 am

I have 2 mikrotik routers.. one core router (x86 main router), and another router connected behind this one via a wireless backhaul (rb333)

I have the 2 routers on a backbone network of xx.xx.188.160/29

I have 3 /28 subnets from my ISP.. I use these subnets on my main router with pppoe, until a day or so ago I only had one router, but I added the new rb333.. I want to be able to use the IPs in the subnets across both routers, all the Ips are assigned from a radius server dynamically.

problem is that on new router when connection comes in from PPPoE and gets IP address, first router doesnt know how to route traffic to that IP address on 2nd router. I dont want to lock entire /28 subnet to new router, I want to use the IPs in the subnet across the 2 routers. I was trying to figure out how to use OSPF to advertise new PPPoE connection to core router, telling it that "hey I have IP xx.xx.xx.xx and this is the gateway!" ..

I have it working now with static routes(distance), but it scales like crap.

Any ideas how to configure this?

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Re: OSPF questions.. Cant get this to work

Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:44 pm

This is the easiest way to get ospf working for your situation. What gateway are the pppoe clients getting on router2?

/ routing ospf redistribute-connected=as-type-1
/ routing ospf network add network=0.0.0.0/0 area=backbone disabled=no

-Gerard

Inssomniak
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:01 am

This is the easiest way to get ospf working for your situation. What gateway are the pppoe clients getting on router2?

/ routing ospf redistribute-connected=as-type-1
/ routing ospf network add network=0.0.0.0/0 area=backbone disabled=no

-Gerard
The clients on new router2 get gateway of router1, router2=xx.xx.188.162, and main router1 gets xx.xx.188.161

router2 just has a default GW of router1

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:40 am

Does that even work? I thought pppoe needed the gateway to be on the router it was connecting to since it was a point to point connection.

-Gerard

Inssomniak
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:44 pm

Does that even work? I thought pppoe needed the gateway to be on the router it was connecting to since it was a point to point connection.

-Gerard
Sorry I mis understood, the pppoe connections on router2 get gateway of router2, same for router1..

Default gateway of router2 is the IP addy of router1.

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:22 pm

If you already have the networks setup then all you should have to do is add that redistribute connected line to each router and it should add all of the correct routes..

-Gerard