Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

ahmedjk
just joined
Topic Author

LinkStar and iDirect in MiKroTik

Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:02 am

Hi all...
Now I have service download in Linkstar is very good some times the download size 7m :D but the upload size is very low 40kbps only :(
How can I get download from modem LinkStar and upload from modem iDirect I know the upload in iDirect is very good. How can I that in MikroTik.

Regards,

Ahmed
Iraq

alex_rhys-hurn

Re: LinkStar and iDirect in MiKroTik

Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:34 pm

Is the LinkStar a download only DVB service or is it a full two way service in itself?

I have worked with both of those services, and as you have found out they each have their advantages and disadvantages...

The problem you face is how, when you send a request out via one gateway, does the reply to that request come back through a different one. Thats why I ask about the DVB service.....

So, you can do some polciy based load balancing that will probably help. Here are some example policies.

So: Traffic that is heavy on upload goes IN AND OUT IDirect:
FTP
SMTP
SCP
PPTP VPN (But VPN sucks on Vsat anyway as does VOIP)

And Traffic that is heavy on download goes IN AND OUT Linkstar
HTTP
HTTPS
POP3
IMAP

For details about how to do policy based routing look in the Mikrotik Wiki, in the routing category http://wiki.mikrotik.com

Its not exactly what you want to do but you dont have much choice.

Does anyone else have a suggestion?

t3rm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:58 pm

So whats wrong with going up with different interface than the interface use for downstream ?
Or perhaps it wont work on Linkstar, just as i heard from many people mentioning that with Linkstar we must set the traffic to come back from the same interface ?

:shock: :shock:

alex_rhys-hurn

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:29 am

As I understand it this is not so much about Linkstar or IDirect as it is about tcp and routing in general.

The question is this: If I send you a packet of data (out of my idirect interface) you will see that it comes from IP address x.x.x.x. So you therefore know that in order to send the response back to me, you have to send it to that ip address x.x.x.x

Now, if I also had an IP address for my Linkstar which was y.y.y.y, and I send you data from x.x.x.x how do you know to send it back through y.y.y.y? You wont, unless I specifically give you the instructions to do so, and you put them in your router....

Thats how TCP/IP works, send a request from A, then the reply must come back to A, and likewise send a request from B then the reply must come back to B.

That is why for load balancing I suggest you use BOTH links as up and down links in their own right, but specify which traffic goes on which link, leading to a load balancing solution.

Does that help?

t3rm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:45 pm

I think Ahmed is not asking about load balancing.
He asked whether any option to do uplink data via upstream interface on iDirect and make downstream in Linkstart interface.

I think the solution is simple, asymetric route.

alex_rhys-hurn

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:40 pm

Hmmm. I never heard of asymmetric route. What is that? How do you implement in MT?

Let me go and google now.

Rgds

Alex

t3rm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:08 pm

Asymetric Route,
this usually use on DVB Downstream Only Internet Access.

The ip address must be set to go to other interface different from the way its coming.
In other words, the packets not going back to interface DVB.

Tanker
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:26 pm

It all depends on what service was bought and paid for....

The DVB downstream is normally big... but being an asymetric service the upstream will depend entirely on what the terrestrial tail circuit has allowed for CIR on that link... eg:- it will only accept a 64kbps uplink speed no matter what equipment you use....

If we know who the tail-circuit providers are I can throw some light on the subject...

T