Community discussions

MikroTik App
 
budy
just joined
Topic Author
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 1:34 pm

Load balance

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:12 pm

Hello forum,

I have two internet connection in my office.

I would like that the 70% the traffic from my office goes through one internet connection and the other 30% use the other internet connection.

Any suggestion?
Thanks
 
User avatar
mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Posts: 6146
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:45 pm
Location: Latvia
Contact:

Re: Load balance

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Here is an example:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Load_Balancing_Persistent

You can set nth parameters to match 1/3 of traffic and route it to one router, mark the rest and route it to another router
 
hattmardy
just joined
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:49 pm

Re: Load balance

Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:12 am

i had a similar issue:

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20334

i never ended up getting it to load balance evenly...
 
User avatar
sandov63
newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Villa del rosario perija zulia, venezuela

Re: Load balance

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:17 am

a question,, i have two adsl modems how can i do load balance with fail over if it asign ip trough
dhcp,, dinamyc?

an example please
Cuando la ignorancia se impone, la razon cordialmente cede el paso.
 
kthameen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:22 am
Location: Leuven,Belgium

Re: Load balance

Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:50 am

a question,, i have two adsl modems how can i do load balance with fail over if it asign ip trough
dhcp,, dinamyc?

an example please
All these above solutions abased on the nth parameter are not effective they will give an negative effect in when it comes to delay and throughput.I can help you in having a nice effective load balancing setup if you can give me some statistics of your clients bandwith utilization according to applications and or even websites

lets say

80 percent http
20 percent p2P
30 msn inclu video;voice

etc ..

or you can divide the connection to your clients lets say we give 50 ip address on gateway the other 50 ip address another gateway

so it depends on your needs tell me ur preffered scenario to help you

Regards,
 
hattmardy
just joined
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:49 pm

Re: Load balance

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:54 am

I would like to see your implementation of "50 users on one gateway, and 50 users on another gateway."

I setup a load balancing scheme with this. First I used nth to balance and assign users to 3 different src IP lists. After that I used mangle rules with src IP lists to load balance between 3 different gateways. The nth worked great, and all 3 lists were usually balanced. However, it looked like the mangle rules were missing a lot of traffic.

So I would be interested to see how you load balanced, and how it is better than the wikis.

-Matt
 
kthameen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:22 am
Location: Leuven,Belgium

Re: Load balance

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:44 am

Hi Matt,

You can try what I am working on right now.

network 214.0.0.0/24 I split in 2 LAN1 214.0.0.0-127 and LAN2 214.0.0.255 config is as follows:

/ip firewall mangle

add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting comment="" disabled=no dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 new-routing-mark=LAN1 \
passthrough=yes src-address=214.0.0.0/25
add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting comment="" disabled=no dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 new-routing-mark=LAN2 \
passthrough=yes src-address=214.0.0.128/25

/ip route

add comment="Clearwire" disabled=no distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=88.147.15.2 routing-mark=LAN2 scope=30 target-scope=10

add comment="Telenet" disabled=no distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=213.0.0.1 routing-mark=LAN1 scope=30 target-scope=10

if you want to see the differnece between the nth parameter try a voice or video conversation u'll find it there espcially at peak time

Regards,

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 69 guests