Diagram:

MT_Serv<----->MT_AP<---->Client_PC

MT Serv has the following config

ether1 <vlan1> 10.100.0.1/24

MT_AP has the following config

Bridge1 (member ports: R52H,vlan1)
R52H
Ether1 <vlan1> 10.100.0.2/24

Client PC has a static IP assigned (to verify vlan connectivity), 10.100.0.50/24.

I can ping all devices on vlan1. I then created a PPPoE server on vlan1. I see the packets coming in through the R52H interface on MT_AP, but they're not making it to MT_Serv. It's like the PPPoE packets are not passing through the VLAN.

Just to further confirm the VLAN was working properly I setup a DHCP server on the vlan1 interface. Setup my client PC to see if it would receive a lease, and it does.

I'm confident the VLAN is setup and working properly, however the PPPoE-Discovery packets are not making it to the PPPoE server...

The MTU is set to 1500 bytes on each of the VLAN interfaces, the physical ethernet ports also have a 1500Bytes MTU. The PPPoE server is configured with 1480/1480 for MTU/MRU.

Do I need to raise the MTU on the physical ethernet interface to make room for the VLAN / PPPoE overhead... or is there something else I haven't done thats prohibiting the PPPoE discovery packets from being forwarded through the vlan?

Thanks,

Bill
William Burnett
Network Engineer

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: PPPoE server on VLAN interface

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:19 pm

scratch the MTU theory, can't set a MTU of anything higher than 1500Bytes.. :)

so why aren't the packets being forwarded.. If DHCP is working that means broadcast packets are going through the VLAN.. Why not the broadcast PPPoE Discovery packets, which also go to a broadcast address (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF)?

If I have layer1-4 connectivity, it seems PPPoE should be working!

Could it be that the VLAN and physical interface have the same MAC address? I'm grasping for answers at this point...
William Burnett
Network Engineer

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:50 pm

OK...

Just to rule out any problems with the wireless configuration.. I added ether3 to bridge1 (members: R52H, vlan1, ether3)..

The minute I did that I was able to create a PPPoE connection through the ethernet port... now to figure out why it wont work on the wireless..
William Burnett
Network Engineer

phendry
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:52 pm

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I suspect it may be because you are bridging wireless without using WDS but can't confirm as I don't know how the clients are configured. Are the PPoE clients also the wireless clients or are they bridged through the wireless client?