Community discussions

MikroTik App

Commodore
just joined
Topic Author

VPN connections to WAN - to access the LAN

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi,
i want to setup my MT machice to work as VPN server.
want to be able to connect to my local network form the internet (eg. play games with friends in othe cityes, browse my network from work...).

my MT machine has two interfaces. ether1 (WAN 91.139.xxx.xxx) & ether2 (LAN 169.254.69.30)
i try to make some combination between this tutorial and my experience but with no success.
my local network has several users (169.254.69.1, 169.254.69.2, 169.254.69.3, ...) they get their IP addresses via DHCP and has ARP filtering.
i want VPN clients to get IP from my network IPs, and be like e part of it.
i read this topic, but i want to keep the arp=reply-only on my ether1 & ether2 :?

what do i have to change or modify in these topics to reach my aim :)
thanks.
Last edited by Commodore on Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN from WAN to LAN

Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:52 pm

setup a different ip subnet for the VPN connections and run the PPTP setup. It's pretty easy.

Commodore
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:08 pm

setup a different ip subnet for the VPN connections and run the PPTP setup. It's pretty easy.
in this case the VPN connections will get different IP from my local network. correct?
is the local network will be visible from the internet VPN connections and back?

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:42 pm

it can be. Depending on what you consider visible. Can you ping your other machines and use their resources, the answer is yes. can you hit your neighborhood viewer and see computer, not usually unless you have a wins server. Many business's do this and it works very well. Shared resources and such will work over other subnets with windows, just have to have the proper network setup.
Dennis Burgess, MCTCE, MTCNA, MCTCTE, MTCWE, MTCNIE, A+, N+, MCP, MTCSE Mikrotik Certified Consultant / Trainer
Need Mikrotik Support: http://www.linktechs.net -- Link Technologies, Inc.
-- Author of "Learn RouterOS: Second Edition"

Commodore
just joined
Topic Author

Re: VPN connections to WAN - to access the LAN

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:51 pm

i don't want to browse my neighborhood, i just want to be able to access the web, ftp & other servers in my local network, and play some games.
and to keep the arp restriction in the local net.

PS: tonight i'll try the topics i found.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Re: VPN connections to WAN - to access the LAN

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:01 pm

Then the simplest, best and easiest way is with PPTP. Setup a server, put a pool of IPs on the remote IPs and go for it. make sure you change your NAT rule to either include your new subnet, that way once you connect to the VPN you can get out to the internet. Else, you can setup in windows that you don't use the default route from the PPTP server, and then add static routes to windows just for your local subnet.

This will allow you to go out to the internet directly from wherever you are, but then use the PPTP connection just for addresses on your subnet across your tunnel.
Dennis Burgess, MCTCE, MTCNA, MCTCTE, MTCWE, MTCNIE, A+, N+, MCP, MTCSE Mikrotik Certified Consultant / Trainer
Need Mikrotik Support: http://www.linktechs.net -- Link Technologies, Inc.
-- Author of "Learn RouterOS: Second Edition"