Community discussions

MikroTik App

hulk-bd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Cache clear problem.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:05 pm

Ok first of all I want to thank to our MT Team for giving us the Ver 3. To me it is better than ver 2.9, but I want to share a problem with you people, after upgrading to ver 3 I can't clear my previous cache objects (Ver 2.9) from my upgraded MT OS, later I found that cache objects from latest Ver 3 is different from ver 2.9 cache objects. I had to go back to my previous version to clear my cache objects from my hdd. Now the question is, is there any way to clear the previous cache objects from new Ver 3?

Dear MT Team please let us know if there is any way to do the job.

Thanks

H Zahid
Don't worry, be happy :) .......

npbrasil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Cache clear problem.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:32 pm

Hi hulk-bd, try using the terminal console for this. I see problems in cache configuration using winbox.

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:29 am

Hey, i dont want to hijack this form or anything, i just thought it mite be a good place to ask a small question. How does cache Help a WISP operation, dosent the computer itself store cache, what is the mikrotik cache for... ( I have so much to learn with your guys help) and (the manual). thanks -Jordan
~Agricultural WISP "ZONE"~ Beware of oncoming cattle and dont hit the farmer!!! I need to ask him about using his silo for an AP first"~

*Automated Billing Installer* http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/AutomatedBilling Built by Krige ;-)

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:09 am

windows does do some caching.

But that is just for that computer.

The idea is to make this MUCH larger. Say 300 users going out to get windows updates. Say an update is 20 meg, times your 300 users. Thats 6gig in transfer. Now, say you have a proxy server that has a 99.6% hit rate on that file. That will save you 5.95 gig of transfer. This is in a perfect world.

Figure a good hit rate of say 30%. Thats still 1.8gig that did not go across your pipe. Now think if you are paying per GIG! You just saved yourself money. Thats just on ONE windows update that was 50 meg. Think of it .

Here is another one. One network averaging 3-5 meg with 170 or so customers on it, started caching for 1 hour and 30 min. in that time, they have saved 154meg to the clients. That is just with 1hr 30 min of traffic, that will grow considerably. Figure you can put 10-20 more customers on this without having to add bandwidth, just more money for someone.
Dennis Burgess, MCTCE, MTCNA, MCTCTE, MTCWE, MTCNIE, A+, N+, MCP, MTCSE Mikrotik Certified Consultant / Trainer
Need Mikrotik Support: http://www.linktechs.net -- Link Technologies, Inc.
-- Author of "Learn RouterOS: Second Edition"

hulk-bd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks a lot npbrasil.
Don't worry, be happy :) .......