Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dren
just joined
Topic Author

Load Balance

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:22 am

Hello,
Im new to MikroTik and I just wanted to know a little something abut load balancing.

I have 2 different connections through different gateways and I have set up load balancing between them. Seems it works but i want to make something clear. If i can download from these connections 512kb/s from each connection, is it possible to set up load balancing in that way that i can download with 1024kb/s from one of the cients? This means the client uses both gateways at the same time.

Please give me a little help :oops:

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Load Balance

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:28 am

Is it possible, yes. Depending on your configuration, can MT do it, thats harder.

If you use PPPoE sessions, or raw static IPs, then the answer is no. If you have control of the other end of the connection, such as having the ability to put your own MT in, then yes.

But in general, the answer is no.

Dren
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:33 am

Is it possible, yes. Depending on your configuration, can MT do it, thats harder.

If you use PPPoE sessions, or raw static IPs, then the answer is no. If you have control of the other end of the connection, such as having the ability to put your own MT in, then yes.

But in general, the answer is no.
Thank You for the reply bro.

Are there any manuals to set it up?

BTW, im using one PPPoE connection and one static IP. Can I do any convertion?

Looking forward for your reply :oops:

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:52 am

If you use PPPoE, load balancing works fine, but you will never have more than 1 connection with a speed over 512k.

However, as you grow, and add more and more users, more and more connections will better use the load balanced connections. If you wish, you can add more!

john@onalot.com

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:54 am

The problem with using 2 WAN side data lines to do load balancing is that the router will flip back and forth between the 2 WAN's, and the LAN side will report first to one WAN address, then the other. IF you are using SSL, you lose your connection as soon as it flips. There is no good way to get around this. You can assign one group of customers to one WAN, and another group to the other WAN, that's about as good as it gets.

Regards,
John

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:16 am

gmeyer
just joined

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:30 pm

The problem with using 2 WAN side data lines to do load balancing is that the router will flip back and forth between the 2 WAN's, and the LAN side will report first to one WAN address, then the other. IF you are using SSL, you lose your connection as soon as it flips. There is no good way to get around this. You can assign one group of customers to one WAN, and another group to the other WAN, that's about as good as it gets.
That is not correct, it can make SSL connections and route by one of the WAN to solve the problem

john@onalot.com

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:13 pm

That is the same as what I said, route to one WAN only. You don't have load balancing at that point, just a redirect to one WAN. Most people hope load balancing will get you 2X speed when using multiple WAN's, but the IP flipping can knock you off in SSL connections.

Dren
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Thank you all for your replys :D

The answer is NO rigjt? I just wanted to know that. I have set up load balancing so in different IP ranges i use different WAN gateways eg. users with IPs from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.125 use gateway from ISP1 and other users from IPs 192.168.1.125 - 192.168.1.253 use the second ISP.

But i asked if i can double my connection speed and reduce my loss percentage eg. if from ISP1 the loss percentage is 0.1% and ISP2's is 0.1% the loss percentage to the user would be 0.01%

Another question. CAN I DO THIS WITH THE SAME GATEWAY(DOUBLE CONNECTION SPEED)?

Looking forward for replys :D

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:01 pm

Why you keep your connections persastant See the Wiki posted above. You can very easily use this, it does work and it works quite well when setup. The only question that was asked was specifically, why don't he get 1meg when he has two 512 k connections.

He won't, not unless MT comes out with MLPPP soon! (btw I hope)

YOu can't do it if the gateway is on the same subnet.

serthan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:39 pm

connection can fail router cant check if your modems connect to www,

please check the link,
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/ECMP_Failover_Script

sandov63

Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:36 pm

Gentlemans i have a questions for you,, how to do load balance with failover with two ADSL modems if ip's in wan are dhcp asigned? can you give me an example? with ip in wan in dhcp asigned with 2 ADSL modems?
regards