Community discussions

MikroTik App

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

v4.0 Feature Request(s)

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:24 pm

100% new version of NStream (NOT backwards compatable) to include advanced polling, full QOS, reduced latency, dynamic frequency selection WITHOUT disconnecting active clients, automaticly adjusting framing policy (that does not affect QOS)

New version of NStream Dual with automatic fall back to half duplex if one link fails

full antenna diversity support for regular 802.11a/b/g mode

full support for 802.11n and WiMax

ability to read every value displayed in winbox via SNMP, plus create custom snmp OIDs for values calculated through scripts

roadrunner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: v4.0 Feature Request(s)

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:24 pm

Isn't the next version number going to be 3.2.x or 3.1.x instead of 4.0? They had the 2.9.x, 2.8.x, 2.7.x, etc. series before 3.0.
I think Mikrotik have stated they will both be supported when they are supported in Linux with stable drivers.

A feature I would like to request is a 'PPP IP pool' that works like the DHCP lease table that is stored periodically. I would like my PPPoE users to get the same IP address, if available, even after rebooting my Mikrotik PPPoE server/router.

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:45 pm

Isn't the next version number going to be 3.2.x or 3.1.x instead of 4.0? They had the 2.9.x, 2.8.x, 2.7.x, etc. series before 3.0.
If you read the new description of this board, it states "BETA Testing and Feature Suggestions for the next RouterOS release (ROS v4)".
A feature I would like to request is a 'PPP IP pool' that works like the DHCP lease table that is stored periodically. I would like my PPPoE users to get the same IP address, if available, even after rebooting my Mikrotik PPPoE server/router.
you can already make PPPoE assign IPs out of a pool, if you want them to be static, assign them that way (most ISPs charge the customer a small monthly fee for a static IP).

roadrunner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:20 pm

it states "BETA Testing and Feature Suggestions for the next RouterOS release (ROS v4)".
Thanks, I found that info after posting. I haven't been in the forums much since 3.0 final was released.
you can already make PPPoE assign IPs out of a pool, if you want them to be static, assign them that way (most ISPs charge the customer a small monthly fee for a static IP).
I was just wanting semi-static pool like DHCP does. DHCP tries to assign the same IP address to a machine/mac address when a DHCP client re-connects. I have setup some customer with static IP's from my RADIUS server(s). We no longer allow dial-up users to request static IP's, only DSL & Wireless customers can get Static IP addresses.
I think Mikrotik have stated they will both be supported when they are supported in Linux with stable drivers.

This post by normis sums up their position on new hardware and drivers
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?p=67179#p67179
we only support chipsets that are supported by the linux kernel. we don't add custom or hacked drivers.

I saw them testing 802.11n cards at the 2007 MUM in Orlando. I also want them to support WiMax/802.16 for my network. Some of the advantages of 802.11n might not be so useful for outdoor multipoint wireless networks, but I hope support for both 802.11n & WiMax will be added when available.

bokili
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:17 pm

100% new version of NStream (NOT backwards compatable) to include advanced polling, full QOS, reduced latency, dynamic frequency selection WITHOUT disconnecting active clients, automaticly adjusting framing policy (that does not affect QOS)

New version of NStream Dual with automatic fall back to half duplex if one link fails

ability to read every value displayed in winbox via SNMP, plus create custom snmp OIDs for values calculated through scripts
This will be excellent features. Is it possible that mikrotik make new dual nstreme from source, to achieve more bandwidth ?

rpingar
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:29 pm

in a PtMP system we are looking to lower the latency and to have a full wireless qos with nstream. We are not looking to more bandwidth.

So my vote is to a new feature in nstream that take into account the priority, it should be selected on the AP and not on the clients. We could not use it in a ptp link but it should be useful in a ptmp.

Regards
Ros

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:07 pm

This will be excellent features. Is it possible that mikrotik make new dual nstreme from source, to achieve more bandwidth ?
full QOS and reduced latency will provide better bandwidth where needed through more efficient use of the airtime.

NickW
just joined

Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:51 pm

I'd really like to assign dynamic public IP addresses from a single pool, from my FreeRadius server.

hqvnet
just joined

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:21 am

-----
The possibility of the mark packet ttl, in the firewall to allow such ttl 128 and ttl 64, blocking the rest, avoiding the sharing of the connection linux and windows xp
-----

-----

In Winbox

A menu where I can write all of my ip Mikrotik

After Winbox connected, I can, switch to another ip automatically, simply just, click on the option.
Example
| 192.168.10.1 Base |
| 192.168.10.2 AP |
| 192.168.10.3 Hotspot |

When I click on the option chosen in Winbox, he now automatically connects at ip or Mac desired, without having to open another window winbox it going easy, clicked, connected.
---

-----

Then add more options. I have to leave now.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:31 am

I would like to request 802.1f / IAPP support so that devices such as Wifi VoIP phones can roam from AP to AP without dropping out.

This would also allow devices to roam on outdoor AP's e.g. a 4 wheel motorbike with a 900mhz radio mounted could roam from AP to AP without drop outs.

uebi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:33 pm

A small but (at least to me) useful feature would be a tiny upgrade to Tools -> Graphing.
The graphing for queues works really great, but..... in Winbox you can also see the traffic transmitted for every queue. Would it be possible to include this value on the queue graph website where "Max-limit:" etc is listed?
I guess this would be pretty easy to implement. The graphs keep untouched but one more value (next to Max-limit, Limit-at, ...) would be included.

This would be nice, because if the amount of transmitted traffic would be shown on the website, a customer could use the graphing facility as a "cheap" accounting tool (apart from the router reboot issue) with "allow target" enabled.
Every user could browse to the Mikrotik router and see how much traffic he/she already transmitted. A script like
:local date
:local day
:set date [/system clock get date]
:set day [:pick $date 5 6]
/queue simple
:if (day = 01) do={ 
reset-counters-all 
}
could reset the counters on the 1st day of every month the the show starts again.

Anyone sharing my idea? :)

Greets,
uebi

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi,

we need support for LACP. Now LACP packets can't pass over RouterOS.

This makes very simple to make redundant links without scripts.

Thanks,
Martín

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:28 pm

To support LACP over Bridged link's Mikrotik will need to change to using a commercial network stack such as the one from ZebOS. The linux bridge will not support this functionality. Hell they only just added support for RSTP which has been a standard for as long as I can remember, do you think the linux dev's will ever add LACP and MSTP support to it ?

ZebOS has it right now however, so is a good option.

vlada1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Add this to v3 first .... then v4 lol

LDP features:

* downstream on demand label advertisement
* ordered label distribution control
* conservative label retention

MP-BGP based MPLS IP VPN
MPLS TE support using RSVP

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:38 am

Agreed on the MPLS features, if these were available we could sell Mikrotik kit instead of Juniper M series.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:09 am

Add this to v3 first .... then v4 lol
do you want v3 to ever be stable? ;)

bokili
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:17 pm

I want this desperately!!!! :shock:

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:27 pm

I want this desperately!!!! :shock:
good! then let's concentrate on fixing and optimising, and let's leave BIG new features for v4

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi,

this is a little new feature to put systems on date/time.

A button in /system/clock that when you click on it winbox take system time/data (of our computers) and actualize routerOS time/data with this system time. It's to avoid putting date/time manually when no NTP service available. One click instead of put manually all data/time parameters.

Thanks,
Martín.

ngds
just joined

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:23 am

I'd really like to see support for native vlans, so I can properly connect to my Cisco gear via trunks.

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:19 pm

I connect to HP gear using what you'd call Native VLAN. The native one would be the untagged VLAN that switch port is on and the main interface in the MT. The VLAN interface in MT would go to tagged VLANs on the same port in the switch. Not sure how the Ciscos differ, but HP tries to be fairly Cisco compatible in their switches.

Regarding NTP, unless you are on a brand new unconnected network, there is no reason why you might not be able to get NTP. Every MT can be a NTP server, so it should be trivial to have a single NTP server on your network for all your private devices. I would suggest this, especially if you need to be calea compliant, as it might be important to note the times of the data capturing.

gacopl
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:08 am

What I would really like to see is SNMP-write support please :)

netrat

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:29 am

SCTP support

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:46 am

Allow option to see what actual connections are handled by specific queue rule. Torch is unusable for this, as what gets into queue depends on many factor which are not possible to handle with torch.

Allow option that shows how connections are routed within router. If there are several routes to the same destination it is very hard to find out which one is used for specific connection.

Wmillo

Wed May 07, 2008 11:27 am

New access metod for PtMP system:
New scheduling for polling-nstream (not only round robin algorithm) with advanced QoS like 802.16(d-e).
Thanks

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed May 07, 2008 7:38 pm

New access metod for PtMP system:
New scheduling for polling-nstream (not only round robin algorithm) with advanced QoS like 802.16(d-e).
Thanks
don't forget the DFS part...

Wmillo

Thu May 08, 2008 1:07 pm

I'd like the alarm signal (or flag) if the received signal level is too high (saturation).

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 20, 2008 3:13 am

I would like to see the IPSEC implementation improved, in particular:

- Use generic names, e.g. Phase1 instead of "Peers", and Phase2 instead of "Policy", DH Group 2 instead of "modp 1024", or maybe extend the names e.g. "Peers - Phase1", "Policies - Phase2"

- Allow the use of IPSEC Tunnel Interfaces aka Route based VPN's, this will allow inter operable Dynamic routing over IPSEC with other vendors. It will also allow the use of simple firewall policies to/from the VPN interface.

- Add support for "Autokey Keep Alive"

- Change lifetimes to be measured in seconds (like every other IPSEC device in existence)

Adding these features will make it easier to understand the IPSEC process, make it easier to inter-operate with other vendors products, make it simpler to control inter-site traffic through the use of firewall policies, and make RouterOS more enterprise ready.

hippo
just joined

Tue May 20, 2008 11:35 am

I second the request for tunnel based route based vpn:s (see nz_monkeys post).

I would also like to see support for virtual routers (vrouters,vrf...)

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 20, 2008 11:45 am

Virtual Routers/Virtual Domains is a great idea, but I would not want to be the programmers at Mikrotik trying to implement it!

hippo
just joined

Tue May 20, 2008 4:40 pm

Actually most of the functionality for virtual routers are already in the routeros in the form of routing-tables. What needs to be added is some form of front end so that you are able to place interfaces in certain virtual-routers and make sure that traffic only hits the corresponding routing table. There also needs to be added some sort of functionality so that you can route traffic between virtual-routers (or routing tables), but I don't think it would be that hard.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 21, 2008 9:30 am

Long time ago it was promised that we will get triggers - option that MT executes script when some condition occurs. That would help a lot preserving resources now spent on scheduled scripting.

vsaldarriaga
just joined

Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:51 pm

I also second the request for tunnel based route based vpn:s (see nz_monkeys post).
Having to flush all installed-sa 's when only one problematic tunnel is the culprit of an
incomplete negotiation is also a hassle.

roneyeduardo
just joined

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:25 pm

Please, make a RouterOS version instalable in Ubiquity's NanoStation hardware. In it's forum, Ubiquity already stated that they would make any modification needed in their hardware to supporte RouterOS.

Falconix
just joined

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:13 pm

XMPP(Jabber) functionality in in Router OS, send notice with scripts over XMPP.

QpoX

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:08 am

Maybe some OEM support... a webserver that run's via files that the OEM corp has uploaded, files that exec commands to the RouterOS...
So that the enduser can not see that it runs RouterOS...

I think that more company's will use RouterOS that way...
It's will still be RouterOS under it all but with the resellers user-interface and Mikrotik still makes money...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:32 am

Maybe some OEM support... a webserver that run's via files that the OEM corp has uploaded, files that exec commands to the RouterOS...

It's will still be RouterOS under it all but with the resellers user-interface and Mikrotik still makes money...
if you are an OEM, then you would know that this is already possible

QpoX

Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:04 pm

I only thought a OEM chould change the logo ind the console...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:12 am

I only thought a OEM chould change the logo ind the console...
also the webpage. isn't that enough?

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:16 pm

I would like to have a full configurable webbox selecting what i want to show on webbox (maybe only NAT rules and some few more features)
Something like the HotSpot Interface.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:19 pm

router OS has no built in webserver that could do these things.

ottife
just joined

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:30 pm

MESH,MESH,mature MESH protocols!!!

nathany
just joined

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:37 am

I second the improved IPSEC implementation as mentioned by nz_monkeys

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:42 am

To the Mikrotik team. If you need access to other vendors hardware for compatibility testing with an improved IPSEC implementation please let me know.

We have hundreds of Juniper/Netscreen, Cisco, Fortinet routers/firewalls in production and can give you full access for testing.

Regards,

Andrew

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:31 am

MSTP support would be good to have for our larger implementations.

jahirg
just joined

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:28 am

I would like MKT add in routeros a special field for put one powerfull DPI engine in firewall.

MKT must be stablish a alliance with IPOQUE, They have a good software for detection in L7.

ipoque's Protocol and Application Classification Engine (PACE) helps network equipment and software vendors to enhance their products with a powerful and proven layer-7 protocol detection. PACE uses a combination of deep packet inspection (DPI) and behavioral analysis to reliably detect protocols even if they use advanced obfuscation and encryption techniques. PACE has been optimized for performance and classification reliability. It is highly flexible and can be integrated in any existing system such as firewalls, UTM appliances and WAN optimization controllers.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:49 am

so and RouterOS doesn't have this ?
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/L7

cigamit
just joined

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:17 am

My feature request.

Inclusion of the ARP Cache into the SNMP ouput, just like my Cisco devices do.
RFC1213-MIB::atPhysAddress.2.1.192.168.0.150 = Hex-STRING: 00 23 5F 6E 56 76

scold
just joined

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:23 am

Is it possible to have tftp, snmpget (for graphs), snmptrap, machine(s) class (for usermanager), optional usermanager backend compatibility (radius, ldap), in RouterOS, please?

msundman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:31 am

Here's my list:

* Route/interface based IPsec (0/0 - 0/0) (nz_monkey)

* vrouters (Metarouter on RB1000 might do the trick)

* Ethernet interface error statistics via CLI/Winbox

* Improved sniffer that allows to easily from cmdline filter and print sniffed packets in realtime. Just like running tcpdump from a shell on a Linux firewall.

* Improved OpenVPN features: UDP, CCD-files, Multiple instances

* The torch on interface feature in winbox is awsome! I'd like to be able to do that on individual firewall filter rules as well! You can already see the counters on how much traffic is matched by each rule, so if I could just right click on a rule and select torch (or sniff) to see what accual traffic is matched by the rule it would be really even cooler :)

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Can we get another option on the user accounts for the router that allows us to disable the 'show password' option?

Currently you can use the 'password' option to disable access to user account editing, but I don't know how I can give someone guest access without giving them all my pppoe and pptp client passwords at the moment.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:56 pm

I would like MT to cooperate with other vendors such as Ubiquiti for things like NSTREAM, or loading RouterOS onto their platform. (Ubnt needs to have some form of a polling protocol that is able to work with RouterOS) Many people here use MT as access points and Ubnt as the client CPE devices, but at the moment there is no option for polling. Ubnt has asked for your cooperation before (From what I was told) and you did not give them any.

I find Ubnt goes out of their way to cooperate with YOU and to work with MT hardware and even MT BUGS sometimes.

I think it would be fair to have MT cooperate with a company that tries its hardest to make it's gear compatible with yours, even though yours is not compatible with many other vendors.

(This is not a "feature" but it is something that MT should start to consider)
kewikeed you don't know what you are talking about. Mikrotik has spent many many years developing and improving their ROS which is the foundation of their success. You are asking them to give away the heart of the company to any competitor that makes cheap compatible hardware.

It is not going to happen. UBNT can spend their own money (including prize money) to develop their own OS. And don't believe that UBNT are just a bunch of nice guys who only want to make the world a better place to live. They are competitors who would love to take away Mikrotik's market.

Tom

PS I sell both Mikrotik and UBNT and I know what I am talking about.

QpoX

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:10 pm

I would like MT to cooperate with other vendors such as Ubiquiti for things like NSTREAM, or loading RouterOS onto their platform. (Ubnt needs to have some form of a polling protocol that is able to work with RouterOS) Many people here use MT as access points and Ubnt as the client CPE devices, but at the moment there is no option for polling. Ubnt has asked for your cooperation before (From what I was told) and you did not give them any.

I find Ubnt goes out of their way to cooperate with YOU and to work with MT hardware and even MT BUGS sometimes.

I think it would be fair to have MT cooperate with a company that tries its hardest to make it's gear compatible with yours, even though yours is not compatible with many other vendors.

(This is not a "feature" but it is something that MT should start to consider)
kewikeed you don't know what you are talking about. Mikrotik has spent many many years developing and improving their ROS which is the foundation of their success. You are asking them to give away the heart of the company to any competitor that makes cheap compatible hardware.

It is not going to happen. UBNT can spend their own money (including prize money) to develop their own OS. And don't believe that UBNT are just a bunch of nice guys who only want to make the world a better place to live. They are competitors who would love to take away Mikrotik's market.

Tom

PS I sell both Mikrotik and UBNT and I know what I am talking about.

RouterOS does run on custom x86 hardware...
In my eyes getting RouterOS on more hardware = more sold licenses.
But getting RouterOS on UNBT hardware does cost some $$$ to make it work a 100%.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:26 pm

Ethernet interface error statistics via CLI/Winbox and snmp.

You have already done a great job on wireless interfaces. Please pay similar attention to ethernet interfaces.

This is especially important now that you have RouterBoards like the new RB450G. We will be selling this as a low cost layer 3 switch. I can get loads of ethernet stats on the other layer 3 switches that I work with.

Tom

hedele

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Hello :)

Is there any chance of getting server-side MLPPPoE implemented?
We had to use a Cisco 7200 Router for PPPoE termination because RouterOS does not support MLPPP on the server side :(

Since it is already working pretty well client-side, I suppose it might only be a small step towards a MLPPPoE server?

taylorc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:17 am

Perhaps enhance Nstreme throughput even more by providing the option of a sync-based mechanism. Example with 5 clients:

Polling-based
-----
AP Poll -> Client1
Client1 transmit
AP Poll -> Client2
Client2 transmit
AP Poll -> Client3
Client3 transmit
AP Poll -> Client4
Client4 transmit
AP Poll -> Client5
Client5 transmit

Sync-based
-----
AP -> Broadcast Sync and Timeslot assignments
Client1 transmit
Client2 transmit
Client3 transmit
Client4 transmit
Client5 transmit

Wouldn't that be sweet?!?!?

Akangage

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Profile feature @ UserManager

bofh666ie
just joined

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:21 pm

interface error stats and SNMP traps. And logging for mpls/vpls/ldp

sioannou
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:48 pm

A torch option for the Firewall filter rules would be great.
e :D

sioannou
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:15 pm

what about an MTR tool included on the MT. That will really help on troubleshouting network issues.

For MTR info visit this site http://www.bitwizard.nl/mtr/

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:23 am

It would be great to see at least in and out interfaces for Connections. Some tool to investigate where actually travvic goeas according to Packet Flow Diagarm would be ultimate.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:23 am

in and out interfaces for Connections
torch is no good?

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Ethernet interface error statistics via CLI/Winbox and snmp.

You have already done a great job on wireless interfaces. Please pay similar attention to ethernet interfaces.

This is especially important now that you have RouterBoards like the new RB450G. We will be selling this as a low cost layer 3 switch. I can get loads of ethernet stats on the other layer 3 switches that I work with.

Tom
Error statistics are already available via snmp, I was looking at these myself on an RB1000 just the other night, however it would be good to have them under an advanced section (similar to the wireless) when we want to check from winbox itself.

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:50 pm

It would be great to see at least in and out interfaces for Connections. Some tool to investigate where actually travvic goeas according to Packet Flow Diagarm would be ultimate.
Add me to this one! Bridges are hell to diagnose!

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:53 pm

add some way to right data to sql server

as i would like to make a gui of my system
with gps information
and snmp data

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:13 am

add some way to right data to sql server

as i would like to make a gui of my system
with gps information
and snmp data
Isn't that what monitoring tools are for? The Dude can do that, only not in SQL (yet).

I vote for wireless diversity support.

chvdr

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:41 pm

is there some list of supported hardware

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:44 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported_Hardware

user maintained list, anyone can update it

chvdr

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:05 pm

i just wonder what about 802.11n
is there any hope...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:26 pm

i just wonder what about 802.11n
is there any hope...
search the forum, this question is answered too many times already

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:53 pm

in and out interfaces for Connections
torch is no good?
Of course it is not. First it works only with one interface, and it shows traffic only on that interface.

What I asked for is that firewall connections show in and out interfaces in connection list. If the same list shows what exact routing table rule affected that connection that would be supreme help.

And, tool to investigate where through traffic actually goes according to Packet Flow Diagram would be ultimate.

masked
just joined

Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:16 am

ability to create hotspot options for users to select from bandwidth speeds and quota's not just time. please let me know if this is already available and i have overlooked it.

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:53 am

i wanted to know in the firewall address list if thay can in to it
so that we can have
name and
ip address

or select a dns

name and
dns name

and the same thing with firewall insted of an ip address an dns name

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:56 am

what do you mean by "name" if it's not DNS name?

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:16 am

for example

we have

name :goolge
ip address :196.100.30.1

now id like it to be

name :google
ip address :grayed out(as i have selected the option for dns name )
dns name :www.google.co.za

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:19 am

what is the use of this? you want to make an alternative for DNS :) ?

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:43 am

yes it more for local dns
like one big network with 20 mailserver voip servers and hosting sevrer

so i dont have to keep track of the ip addres i just use the dns names for each of the hosting servers

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 pm

Normis, he just wants to use domain names instead of IP addresses in firewall rules =)

xezen, no, it's not possible directly. you should use scripting

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:27 pm

Normis, he just wants to use domain names instead of IP addresses in firewall rules =)
Isn't that the use of firewall Address Lists?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:36 pm

what's general between Address-Lists and Domain Names?..

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:36 pm

what's general between Address-Lists and Domain Names?..
DNS names are for resolution by any TCP/IP device (computers, routers, servers, etc). Address Lists are only internal to the router they are specified on. Sort of like a 'Group' of IP addresses. A single address list name can contain multiple IP addresses, then when you set up firewall rules, you can use that address list 'name' instead of each device's IP address.

If you want to specify rules using names instead of IPs, and you want to address each device individually (instead of as a whole group), you could create a new address list for each device. So each address list name contains only 1 IP address. Very inefficient way of doing it in my opinion, but it can be done.

If you want to keep track of which rule is affecting which device, it's easier to just use comments!

Address Lists: http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3. ... s_list.php

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:43 am

xezen wants to use names because IPs can change without notification =) so, as I said, he should use scripting. yes, quite efficient way is to add address-list, add entries for needed servers, write domain names in comments of those entries, and periodically via script update addresses of those entries by resolving their comments

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:11 pm

im not good at scripting!!!!!!!!!!!
At all

so can you maybe show me an example to get this right
as it might be simple for others but im no good at it

so if you can give me an example i would be glad as it will help me a lot!

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:45 am

Heres an example of a command I use to change the IP for a VPN link between 2 dynamic IP addresses.
:global "vpn-interface-name" "Server_PPTP"
:global "new-vpn-ip" [:resolve "vpn.some.domain.tld"]
:global "current-vpn-ip" [/interface pptp-client get $"vpn-interface-name" connect-to]
:if ($"current-vpn-ip" != $"new-vpn-ip") do={ /interface pptp-client set [find name=$"vpn-interface-name"] connect-to=$"new-vpn-ip"}
It checks to see if the name resolution has changed since last time it looked (I'm using a dynamic DNS address on the vpn server router) and if so, changes the vpn connect-to ip to match.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:50 am

add the following script
:local addresslist "mylist"
/ip firewall address-list
:foreach i in=[find list=$addresslist] do={set $i address=[:resolve [get $i comment]]}
change "mylist" to your desired address-list name, then
add list=mylist comment="google.com"
add list=mylist comment="myserver1.local"
add list=mylist comment="myserver2.local"
and run script

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:41 pm

thnaks for all the help with the scripting part it helped me solve the problem

there should be a topic i opend with examples of scipts to help people

as i know the people in this forum will have somthing to say as this topic we are talking in is for v4.0
and not for scrpits
thanks for the help

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:55 pm

thnaks for all the help with the scripting part it helped me solve the problem

there should be a topic i opend with examples of scipts to help people

as i know the people in this forum will have somthing to say as this topic we are talking in is for v4.0
and not for scrpits
thanks for the help
there is such place: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewforum.php?f=9

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:37 pm

can use add a connection be able right logs straight into a access,sql or oracle database? even if it must be done by script

so routerboard will be able to understand SELECT * FROM WHERE
connect
address
username
password

as i like to have one thing that does everything?

or to allow some kind of file transfer to be able to take place between routerboards and a pc?

trm3

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:28 pm

I have a very specific need for real unencrypted GRE tunnels rather than IPIP tunnels. Some of the hardware that my customers' satellite traffic traverses can apply various spoofing / window adjustment acceleration procedures to both native traffic and GRE tunnels, but not IPIP or any other form of tunnel. Could there be a tunnel-type pull down defaulting to the existing IPIP, but allowing selection of GRE, in the IP Tunnel creation window?

trm3

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:16 pm

The ability to specify different redistribution rules for each VRF (for BGP/OSPF/RIP/Static/Connected) is a must in our environment. We have a global Cisco MPLS network with each VRF having a /27 or /28 presence in every major node with interconnected customer/satellite routers. We need either individual controls or individual in/out route-maps for each VRF.

Sorry if I've overlooked something, but I can't find this.

titius

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:37 am

USB ethernet and wireless support? Is it hard?

I know some USB ethernet work, but very very small number of devices work :(

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:49 pm

when i run this
:foreach i in=[find list=$addresslist] do={set $i address=[:resolve [get $i comment]]}
most of themstay 0.0.0.0 can anyone tell me why

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:19 am

xezen, it seems like error in :resolve of unknown host in your comment. maybe some coments are absent, or they are inexistant names? try running this script in terminal window:
{
:put "All done, keeper!"
}

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:51 pm

wrong thread! make a new post in Scripting forum

HaQs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:02 pm

Native support in ROS to automaticaly backup CFG to FTP server
Set Time: day / week / month ...
file name: RB_IDENT_TIME ...

ayufan

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:46 am

You can send a mail with backup.
Last edited by ayufan on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

noam_chom

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:35 am

Decent per user QOS would be nice to have in the ROS 4.0 .
If I am not wrong we all concluded that still there is no way to make "per user QOS" in MT.

Ilija

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:02 pm

{
:put "All done, keeper!"
}
i ran this and it sed
failure

i took all the comment and ran a ping on all of then and all come back with a reply

her is my examples

im having problems with

home.disney.go.com
youtube.com
facebook.com

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

open terminal and try ":put [:resolve home.disney.go.com]" - what will you see? maybe you have a space before or after comment?

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:49 pm

when i run this
most of themstay 0.0.0.0 can anyone tell me why
Side note that IS relevant to v4 feature requests: the resolve command is currently broken and has been for the last couple of versions.
using :resolve in any script where the domain doesn't resolve will simply cause the script to terminate. Can this be fixed for v4? :-P

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:21 pm

thanks for all the help thay should start a live chat that we can try solve this live as i tryed #mikrotik on the irc be not many people are on there

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:24 pm

that was broken as one one my names on my list were not working and when i deleted them the rest worked so if this problem can be fixed it will be help full thanks
mikrotik and all the users forthe help

titius

Fri May 01, 2009 4:30 pm

and you again posting scripting issues in wrong area?

iwikus

Thu May 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Improved cluster (HA) support - to have two rb450G as active/standby cluster:
- nat table (conntrack) synchronization between two boxes.
- some kind of automatic configuration replication to standby box.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 07, 2009 6:01 pm

could you please describe it in more detail?..

QpoX

Thu May 07, 2009 6:09 pm

i agree, redundancy on all functions.

iwikus

Thu May 07, 2009 7:46 pm

If you use VRRP and NAT (and/or statefull firewall) you need to transfer connection states when IP is transfered to other box (failover happends). If not, established connections will be dropped.

http://conntrack-tools.netfilter.org/ma ... ml#sync-pb

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 08, 2009 2:41 am

Add to that, active hotspot user synchronization between devices.

jsanyi
just joined

Mon May 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi!
Would it be possible to...
- use the dynamic address lists in webproxy access lists too? (adding and removing or disabling a lot of rules from access lists would be much problematic than using lists already defined for firewalling for the same, very different networked addresses)
- create some kind of rule groups in webproxy access lists? (eg. a group for chat sites could be assigned to an address or a subnet, or maybe to a list of ips with only one rule, this would minimalize the access list items needed and improve easy configuration, eg. 10+3 rules would be enough to enable/disable access to 10 sites for 3 subnets, while this now needs 10*3 rules)
Thanks!

astib
just joined

Thu May 28, 2009 2:30 am

Hi!
I would love to have in new version:
- GRE support (no EOIP, IPIP, PPTP ... just GRE please :-) This can make my life much easier!
- source address for EOIP tunnel, like IPIP has
- ability of telnet/ssh from MK to non-default ports
- keys support for WinBox
- synchronization of connections between routers
- synchronization of particular filter tables would be lovely, even very basic!
- better firewall logging (session creation,teardown, bytes sent, etc)

Just my ideas -- thanks for reading them :)

Astib

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 28, 2009 12:23 pm

- ability of telnet/ssh from MK to non-default ports
[admin@vpn1] > /system telnet 192.168.0.1 ?
Port ::= 1..65535    (integer number)

astib
just joined

Thu May 28, 2009 1:20 pm

:-D
ok, feeling ashamed, forget that line :)

Martell
just joined

Sun May 31, 2009 5:03 pm

I seriously second the improved IPSEC implementation as mentioned by nz_monkeys! Yes, yes and yes, please!

If possible, even in the 3.x version. I aslo work a lot of Junipers/Netscreens, Ciscos, Checkpoints and others, and the tunnel inerfaces are the most needed lack in the MT.

I know they are very serious guys there in the MT and they can easily make the changes! I respect them a lot.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:07 am

Hi Martell,

Please vote on this feature at http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... e_Requests

A lot of people want the tunnel/route based IPSEC support, but it's no good posting all over the forums as it can be easily forgotten.

Also, if Normis or any of the other MT guys are paying attention I can provide access to:

- Juniper J Series, SRX, SSG(Netscreen)
- Fortinet FortiGate's
- Cisco 8xx, 18xx

For testing during the development of this feature.

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:19 am

what about raid for x86 os?
so licanse key can be saved or backed up in somekind of whay

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:24 am

raid makes problems with license key, it can't work. but this is not the only reason RAID is not supported.

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:46 am

so what the best way i can set up a x86 system to prevent hardwer fail and be able so have storade

i thougt load os on sd card

put thats not best for proxy

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:03 pm

you may use another drive for proxy cache

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:25 pm

so on sd card and another drive for proxy?

whats be safest way for less hardware problems

infowest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:58 pm

Nstreme improvement ideas:

- Can Nstreme in PTMP environment be more intelligent about polling, such that "less busy" CPE's get fewer polls, thus reducing the resource usage and hopefully allowing us to get more cpe's per AP before we start hitting the nstreme limits?
- Can Nstreme be built into hardware on a routerboard to make it more efficient, handle more cpe's, etc?
- GPS sync for nstreme - what a winner that would be!

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:35 am

Put your requests on the Wiki so people can vote on them: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... e_Requests

ochyst
just joined

Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Please, we need stable sshd and https on RouterOS or something to restart deamons without reboot router.

Watchdog for deamons?

Seting /ip services from more than one network (available from)?
Users - more than one allowed address?

Support for 3.5GHz?

More testing before relase new version of RouterOS!!!

Verlen

Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:14 am

Please in add sorting by enabled/disabled account in PPP - Secrets (via Winbox)

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:04 am

cant mikrotik add VideoCache to mikrotik x86 proxy service?

as it would be nice to have one system working

we know squid is an option

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:30 am

question has mikrotik thought aboat adding an digital in/output to one on the new release boards

uses for it could be for alarm output for tamper if some one trys to open mikrotik box so it can email and sms network administrator

can be used for a relay output if needed to trigger something

and can be used in industrial use for reading inputs and relaying outputs at the mikrotik is the best board used for many diffrent industrial useses just with comm to ip no relay input trigger and output trigger will make it very usefull in industrial use

infowest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

TDMA and GPS on a routerboard?

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:15 am

I'd much rather see polling done in hardware (fpga) so we can scale like crazy, but would TDMA be of any use in software? Someone apparently is doing that...

Examples:

FreeBSD (looks like it could even use GPS - why not add GPS to a routerboard?):

http://siomail.ucsd.edu/pipermail/swap/ ... 00683.html

Linux:

http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/~prasant/pubs ... -tdmac.pdf

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:45 am

If you use VRRP and NAT (and/or statefull firewall) you need to transfer connection states when IP is transfered to other box (failover happends). If not, established connections will be dropped.

http://conntrack-tools.netfilter.org/ma ... ml#sync-pb
I very much second that. This would put the firewalling capabilities somewhere up there with ASAs and competing products.

A related though somewhat different request: ideally, this could even be extended into a load sharing scenario - if all machines in the 'cluster' know about all clients, the DHCP server can pass out the different gateway IPs (possibly with a manually configurable weight? That way you can mix different hardware platforms) and you can scale with the number of customers simply by adding more routers. This would be extremely useful for Hotspot scenarios. I've dealt with Hotspot areas that had to temporarily support over 6,000 concurrent clients - nearly impossible to do on a single box.
In that case you may not be able to have full connection state table sharing so that connections are reset, but it could reasonably work just by all slaves sharing authentication state of clients so clients don't have to re-authenticate.

Felix

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:55 am

Very minor: when running "/system backup save", the default filename is in format Hostname-DDMMYYYY-HHMM. That doesn't sort very well, maybe it would be nice if this could be in ISO format Hostname-YYYYMMDD-HH:MM instead.

Felix

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:43 am

Yes I do, very much so!

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:46 am

Virtual Routers/Virtual Domains is a great idea, but I would not want to be the programmers at Mikrotik trying to implement it!
Using more standard, mature packages from open source would be nice. They've been around a long time and have a huge user base hacking and perfecting the software.

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:51 am

I would like to have a full configurable webbox selecting what i want to show on webbox (maybe only NAT rules and some few more features)
Something like the HotSpot Interface.
*bump
Along with this a configuration option to enable/disable simple/advanced web interface (default being simple interface). This way many users are happy with simple webbox but advanced users can get advanced interface if desired.

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Intel 82574L Gigabit Ethernet controller

Is this supported, or going to be supported?

Regards

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Intel 82574L Gigabit Ethernet controller

Is this supported, or going to be supported?

Regards
Support for all Intel 825xxx gigabit ethernet controller. (This should be one driver to cover any card with that chipset.)

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Hardware assisted TDMA

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:25 pm

There are a few updated papers on Sam Leffler's Atheros hardware assisted TDMA implementation. They are a very interesting read, and something I hope we will see on RouterOS at some point in the future.

http://people.freebsd.org/~sam/FreeBSD_ ... 090921.pdf
http://people.freebsd.org/~sam/TDMAPres ... 090921.pdf

fbaffoni
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:17 am

There are a few updated papers on Sam Leffler's Atheros hardware assisted TDMA implementation. They are a very interesting read, and something I hope we will see on RouterOS at some point in the future.

http://people.freebsd.org/~sam/FreeBSD_ ... 090921.pdf
http://people.freebsd.org/~sam/TDMAPres ... 090921.pdf
Totally Agree with nz_monkey, Ubiquiti has added the Sam Leffler's implementation on his new AirMax, could be greate if Mikrotik be compatible with Ubiquiti AirMax. I'd prefer to use a MK AP than a Ubiquiti AP (MK hardware has better rosourses)

I know that MK has his own polling algorithm using NSTREME and is possble to disable CSMA, but NSTREME is a propietary protocol, I can't use Ubiquiti. Could be greate if MK support TDM.

What do the MK people says about this?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:10 am

I am not concerned with Ubiquiti AirMax compatibility at all.

It would just be good to see a hardware based TDMA protocol on Mikrotik.

ElectricCat

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 am

My feature request: sometimes the symbolic name of the PPTP-server is needed to connect to ISP, but the RouterOS asks the IP address only. If MikroTik were make it possible to use symbolic names as the PPTP-server address, there would be a great leap for them in Russia.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:43 pm

That was asked long time ago and declined. Mikrotik stuff does not have understanding for our needs to be able to use mnemonic addresses instead of IP.

ElectricCat

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:43 am

That was asked long time ago and declined. Mikrotik stuff does not have understanding for our needs to be able to use mnemonic addresses instead of IP.

Pity... Well, we should use our scripting solutions then...

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Yes, and do not ask why you have to hack something that should and can be so simple....

Good side is that we now have Routerboards with TWO power connectors. That is a huge gain.