Community discussions

MikroTik App

cylent
Topic Author

Satellite Internet ACK Spoofing

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:30 am

Hello.

I connect to the internet using a satellite modem and i know of the latency caused by such systems
I've heard of whats called TCP Accelerators. I know what they do is ACK spoofing ...

Can this be done somehow with RouterOS?

It'd really be a wonderful thing so I dont have to consider buying a TCP Accelerator.

also, what should i set the MTU value for the Net adapter connected to the modem? (its connected directly using a crossover cable)

Please advise.

jonmansey
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Satellite Internet ACK Spoofing

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:38 pm

TCP ack spoofing and acceleration are very specialized functions that intercept the tcp socket and fake the endpoints at each end of the satellite connection. RouterOS cannot do this, it requires specially written code and tcp stack running on devices at each end of the satellite link symmetrically. iDirect and maybe some other satellite modems have this function built-in.

regarding the MTU, it depends on the satellite modem and router at each end, most likely the best setting is 1500.

jm

cylent
Topic Author

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:00 pm

The thing thats frustrating is browsing is a bit sluggish ... it takes about 10 or so seconds before a page starts to appear however when it does it comes in fast.

same with downloading. it starts off slow then slowly starts to catch up.

there must be a way to at least make browsing faster.

pls advise.

jonmansey
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:04 pm

are you using a DNS cache?

cylent
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:01 pm

are you using a DNS cache?
i assume you mean the RouterOS dns cache

[paul@MikroTik] > /ip dns pr
primary-dns: 212.31.224.3
secondary-dns: 212.31.224.2
allow-remote-requests: yes
max-udp-packet-size: 512
cache-size: 10048KiB
cache-max-ttl: 1w
cache-used: 23KiB
[paul@MikroTik] >

Thats it.

I am considering a UDGateway device but i really really dont want to spend any money on any of this stuff if RouterOS has some sort of method we can work around this web browsing delay

patagonia

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi cylent, please check that: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21392 , I directly cannot navigate connecting a computer to the modem satelital, the only way is with the application. Try with debian + squid and mikrotik, but I am not able to decipher the form of emulating the aplicaicon.

cylent
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi cylent, please check that: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21392 , I directly cannot navigate connecting a computer to the modem satelital, the only way is with the application. Try with debian + squid and mikrotik, but I am not able to decipher the form of emulating the aplicaicon.
i am confused as to the link you gave me
i did see the screenshot but who supplies this "Internet page accelerator" application?

I cant try with debian right now cause i dont have another box to use for that purpose.

patagonia

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:55 pm

Thank you for your interest, the application is provides by the provedor of the service satelital.

jonmansey
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:02 am

almost certainly the application is a custom windows XP software with unknown and proprietary functionality that must work together with the device at the satellite teleport where the service originates.

mikrotik OS has no way to intercept and modify or spoof tcp sockets as far as I know.

jm

patagonia

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:00 am

It is one it hurts, because sharing the application in xp can make it walk, but I would have to dedicate an alone pc for that reason and another to be proxy transparent. Sorry for the insistence but there has to exist a way of doing it more simple.