Community discussions

MikroTik App

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

FEATURE REQUEST: MLPPP

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:03 pm

Ya, I know, its old, but MAN, Would it be nice!

MLPPP / MFR don't know if they are both simple or not.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: MLPPP

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:44 pm

+5 (makes bonding easier I think)

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:32 pm

I could use this too..

-Gerard

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:05 am

There is Multi Link support in RouterOS for same time now!!!
Just specify MRRU option on both ends and no more change-mms rules.

Also Bridge Control Protocol is useful

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:20 am

MLPPP meaning multiple PPP sessions working together. MLPPP is currently only single link implemented. I'm sure it will be coming soon (i hope).

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:20 pm

AFAIK MLPPP stands for only one thing:

RFC1990 states:
... offers the additional ability to split and recombine packets, thereby reducing latency, and potentially increase the effective maximum receive unit (MRU)...

Could you, please, elaborate on your feature? (Functionality, application, RFC)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:26 pm

PPP Multilink is a bandwidth-on-demand protocol that can connect multiple links between two systems as needed to provide bandwidth on demand. The technique is often called bonding or link aggregation. For example, the two 64-Kbit/sec B channels of ISDN can be combined to form a single 128-Kbit/sec data channel. Another example would be to bind one or more dial-up asynchronous channels with a leased synchronous line to provide more bandwidth at peak hours of the day.

MLPPP is defined in RFC 1990 (PPP Multilink Protocol, August 1996). It is an extension to the PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol). See "PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol)" for information about the basic protocol. Microsoft Windows, Linux, and other operating systems support multilink. Many routers also support Multilink PPP and the ability to connect remote LANs with multiple dial-up or ISDN lines
???

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:48 pm

normis, are you saying multilink is implemented? I think i read in your previous posts that its only single link.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:46 am

normis, are you saying multilink is implemented? I think i read in your previous posts that its only single link.
No, I'm asking which of all the described features you are actually interested in. As you see, macgaiver is talking about another thing

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:56 pm

Three Items specifically I have to purchase other routers for now that I would like to do with Mikrotik.

1. Bonding of T1 interfaces compatible with Cisco on the other end. With Cisco, you create a multi-link interface, setup the encap, then goto each of your serial interfaces and say that they are part of the multilink group. I know you can bond them with another MT, but not with a Cisco yet.

2. MFR or Multi-link Frame Relay, again, but not as common, to bond multiple T1s into one large pipe with a Cisco at the other end, this time though, they each use frame relay circuits.

3. MultiLinkPPP Support for (specifically) PPPoE Client sessions. The ability to BOND multiple PPPoE Client sessions together again, compatible with whatever most Cisco and other DSL providers use. Most support the ability to bond multiple DSL lines together coming in on different interfaces.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:44 pm

No, I'm asking which of all the described features you are actually interested in. As you see, macgaiver is talking about another thing
This one from your post below:
Many routers also support Multilink PPP and the ability to connect remote LANs with multiple dial-up or ISDN lines.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:31 am

Just a bump.. By putting this in there, we can be a true WAN Router, by bonding multiple T1s. Very valuable, not to mention bonding on DSL or cable connections with PPPoE etc.

butche
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:23 am

MLPPP is defined in RFC 1990 (PPP Multilink Protocol, August 1996). It is an extension to the PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol). See "PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol)" for information about the basic protocol. Microsoft Windows, Linux, and other operating systems support multilink. Many routers also support Multilink PPP and the ability to connect remote LANs with multiple dial-up or ISDN lines
The ability to do this would be great! Here is what we SHOULD be able to do:

1. Create a MLPPP group (interface)
2. Create 2 (or more) pppoe connections with the above group defined as our MLPPP "group" or interface

Once step 2 is complete, we would have a SINGLE interface to use for our inbound and outbound routing. In other words, the IP assignment would be to the group interface. This is not a bridge group. MLPPP is pretty standard and is supported by a good number of dsl and cable providers. There would be no IP assigned to the pppoe connections. Really, they are not pppoe connections, but ppp encapsulation on a physical interface. This would be a HUGE benefit if it could be made to work.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:47 am

if somebody can give us access to a client whos ISP supports these features, we can try to add them

butche
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:50 pm

if somebody can give us access to a client whos ISP supports these features, we can try to add them
For just one example, BellSouth supports this with their business DSL. But I am personally just as interested to see MT support this both as a client AND server side. It would be a good thing to be able to provide multiple PPP connections to a customer over wireless to increase throughput possibilities.

ghmorris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Teksavvy supports bonded DSL for both business and residential. I would really like to sell this as a service, not to mention selling more RBs as a side effect!!

A good thread on the issue is here, complete with a BSD config to make it work properly.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r187478 ... ~start=220

Some people have bonded 3 DSL connections and are getting full speed in both directions.

If MT needs help on this, I can put in two DSL lines and hook up an RB to them with an public IP... I already have the phone lines installed at one of our towers.

George

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:38 am

i think windows RAS server can also be setup to demo this right ?

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Yes,, Since windows 98 they have supported mufti-link PPP. I remember a long time ago, using dual modems to dial up each at 26.4k (max speed i could get with 56k modems, and then use the multi-link to bring up two connections and surf at the screaming speed of 52.8, course, there is overhead in there too.... .but..

I may have a VDSL location that could have multiple VDSLs to get more speed, I will inquire if MT wishes for me to test :)

crbender
just joined

Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:44 pm

I use Mikrotik almost exclusively and am a DSL provider that supports MLPPP. If you want me to help you do the testing I am happy to. I have been hoping for this feature release for years. Contact me offlist at cbender '@' skynetbb 'dot' com

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:00 am

please contact support if anyone can help us regarding what I asked above

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:20 pm

CONTACT SUPPORT CONTACT SUPPORT!! DO IT NOW! support@mikrotik.com. Lets get this in there!

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:30 pm

BUMP!! Lets get them the information needed to get this to work!!

cp8

Thu May 08, 2008 4:37 am

I'm with Teksavvy, and they provide MLPPP service. I would love to test and get support for this. I'll email support.

markon

Sat May 10, 2008 12:19 am

I have a large number of CISCO and NORTEL routers in my Point of Presents (POP) floor at 1 Whilshire Los Angeles. Also have 20+ ROS 3.X boxes (core router type) available for testing on the floor. Would love to help you test and impliment.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 26, 2008 1:11 pm

ok, check the latest newsletter

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue May 27, 2008 5:15 pm

Marklon, have you check out http://www.mikrotikrouter.com? Just wondering.

Also on the MLPPP, getting ready to test!