Community discussions

MikroTik App

mcastillo
just joined
Topic Author

Link problem with Cisco

Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:09 pm

Hello,
I need help, i have one routerboard 230 with .version 2.8.9 connected through PoE port to a Cisco 1721. They seem to have problems with negotiation, if i check link on the Mikrotik`s Ethernet interface it shows "link Ok", but when i try to ping router Cisco, it shows "ping timeout". It was necesary for the "link OK" to appear to disable autonegotiation on the mikrotik interface. But the ping problem still remains. They don`t communicate.

What should i do??

Thanks.,
Martin Castillo

nwn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:56 pm

Make sure the addressing is correct. Netmask is important.

Can you ping other devices from the MT on that port? Can you ping other devices from the Cisco on the port that goes to the MT?

Depending on what ports you are using, you may need a crossover cable instead of a straight through cable. Some equipment does not seem to like auto-sense ports on the other end. Also, I would turn off auto-negotiate on both devices and set the speed and duplex as you want it. I have seen Cisco equipment take up to 1-1/2 minutes to negotiate and then in a couple of seconds restart the negotiation.

Also, you do not say how far apart the devices are, so I assume they are close. There is a minimum cable length in the IEEE spec, but I do not remember what it is. Cthe long-cable setting on the MT. I believe MT told me to turn it on if the cable is over 90 meters.

mcastillo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:12 pm

Thanks,
The problem turned out to be the Power Over Ethernet Adapter, once a i changed it, link went up. The funny thing is that this damaged POE adpater let me comunicate with my PC to the Mikrotik, but didn't let comunicate Cisco with MT router.

Regards,

Martín Castillo.

Roman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:10 pm

some (don't remember which exactly) Cisco routers/cards had problems with autonegotiation function