Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

wksantiago
just joined
Topic Author

Session Timeout problems on RADIUS and some sessions

Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:44 pm

Hello,

We are using our MT (v2.9.50 and v2.9.35) box with Hotspot activated. We use a radius server to authenticate users. We store the users time limit (ie date and time) that they have bought in the radius database, and use a simple sql statement to test if their accounts are valid when they login.

We also send a Session-Timeout radius reply item from the radius server to the MikroTik router when the user connects.

It works great and after the session Timeout on the MT goes to zero the user cannot surf.

Our problem is that on some sessions the users remain connected on "blank" Session Timeout and we receive on the Radios "Lost-Service" with the amount of time connected.

Very strange. Any suggestion

wksantiago
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Session Timeout problems on RADIUS and some sessions

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:02 pm

There is a setting in our radius server that tell the NAS (mikrotik) how much time to keep someone in the END mode this setting was at 5 sec. Changing this setting to 30 secondes solved the issue, this means that when a person END via logout or STOP via session-timeout, this person cannot login within 30 seconds again.

So I guest, when it was 5 second, the NAS (mikrotik) was sending request, and the server was responding with "NULL" as session-timeout and thus messing things up

omara007
just joined

Re: Session Timeout problems on RADIUS and some sessions

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:53 pm

After almost 12 years of the original post, I still encounter the same problem. And although it seems solved, I didn't get what to do to replace the NULL in the RADIUS accounting DB (radacct table) by a valid value to be able to visualize the data at the customer's end? ..