Community discussions

MikroTik App

pacini
just joined
Topic Author

RB 133c with UBNT SR5

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:55 am

Hi,
Can someone provide the needed steps on how to get this configured as a station with bridging mode?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB 133c with UBNT SR5

Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:02 am

Make sure it is not possible to use WDS, since mode=station does not support bridging due to limitation of 802.11
Use this configuration example, if MikroTik RouterOS is used as access point,
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... o_Networks

There is another mode=station-pseudobridge that could be used for that, however WDS is preferable.

pacini
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:37 pm

Make sure it is not possible to use WDS, since mode=station does not support bridging due to limitation of 802.11
Use this configuration example, if MikroTik RouterOS is used as access point,
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... o_Networks

There is another mode=station-pseudobridge that could be used for that, however WDS is preferable.
The license that came with it does not allow AP. I'll try pseudobridge and see what happens. Although, I tend not to use WDS as it reduces bandwidth from what I heard.

Will get back if I still have probs, Thanks for your help sergejs :)

Tanker
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:50 pm

You will have to apply (and pay for) an Upgrade to Level 4 License

Once installed you can set it to be AP Bridge.

T

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Level 3 provides you with mode=station-wds and mode=bridge, that could be used to establish WDS link.

pacini
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:46 pm

Level 3 provides you with mode=station-wds and mode=bridge, that could be used to establish WDS link.
Ok, I have upgraded to Lever 4. Now I have AP enabled, how do I maximize my SR5 output power? I'm getting an extreme low signal indoor with 23dbi antenna, so I'm guessing I'm running on a low power tx dbm.

bradg

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:32 am

Ok, I have upgraded to Lever 4. Now I have AP enabled, how do I maximize my SR5 output power? I'm getting an extreme low signal indoor with 23dbi antenna, so I'm guessing I'm running on a low power tx dbm.
You have something very, very wrong to be getting an "extreme low signal" with a potential of nearly 100 Watts of Effective Radiated Power at 6Mbps!

1) Try a different antenna selection on the card (antenna a, antenna b).
2) Check that transmit power is set to "default".
3) Check antennas, cables, and connections.
4) Try a low gain antenna.

You are also likely overpowering / overdriving the reciever on the client end, which may falsely report signal level, and almost certainly result in lousy qualities.

If your intention is to continue to use this indoors, you absolutely need to reduce your antenna gain, card output power, or physically relocate the AP in relation to the clients. If this is just an indoor test of an outdoor link, I would still consider using a lower gain antenna for testing to keep from desensitizing the reciever on the client card.

And, lower power/gain/ERP will also keep the slow-roasting of your nether-regions to a minimum :)

pacini
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:04 pm

Alright,
Thanks for the info. I'll try this in the office tomorrow, one more question on the client side, and if set to station mode:
1. Do I need to set an IP address for the wireless iface?
2. Or, I set an IP on the Ethernet side only and bridge it? (Cause I tried that but I was unable to ping it from AP side)

Thanks.

bradg

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:59 pm

To bridge wireless to another interface, you need to use WDS.
Alright,
Thanks for the info. I'll try this in the office tomorrow, one more question on the client side, and if set to station mode:
1. Do I need to set an IP address for the wireless iface?
2. Or, I set an IP on the Ethernet side only and bridge it? (Cause I tried that but I was unable to ping it from AP side)

Thanks.