Community discussions

MikroTik App

nwn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

WinXP to Mikrotik L2TP

Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:41 pm

Maybe the answer is already here and I missed it, and it seems like it should be so simple, but I have not been able to get this to work.

What are the configuration steps to setup an MT router as the L2TP server so I can connect via the WinXP client no matter where I am? What are the WinXP steps?

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Still testing but...

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:36 pm

I have built a setup that connects a client (XP Pro) via 802.11G(Turbo) at 108Mb. (Played with it for about 16Hrs this last weekend...) (My wife is NOT happy !!)
Connection is secured with IPSec 3Des,L2TP Encription,and 104bit WEP.
Connection is secured at client startup before they even hit the servers for user login.!!

I have it working in the lab at this point but I want to "Prove it" before I release the config... I am sure it has been done before, so I am sure some one will have a config they can release... I will post my solution as soon as I am sure it is the best solution for my clients needs...

Drop me a message off line if you want discuss what I have so far...
mailto:sales@pc-routers.com
Craig..

andrewluck
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:42 pm

I've been looking at this again trying to get IPSEC and L2TP working to MT servers so far without success.

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve turning off IPSEC on the XP client?

Regards

Andrew

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:05 am

generate-policy=yes on MT.

andrewluck
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:35 pm

generate-policy=yes on MT
I was rather hoping for a little more detail as all the examples in the documentation refer to tunnel mode for tunnelling between routed subnets, not individual client connections. Could you expand on this a little please?

Regards

Andrew

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:10 pm

If you have L2TP server configured on MT side, add ip address/shared secret pair to /ip ipsec peer and set generate-policy setting to yes for that secret. The required IPsec policy will be generated automatically on MT side during tunnel estabilishment phase.