Community discussions

MikroTik App

catkins
just joined
Topic Author

Bandwidth Control/Traffic Shaping Combing Multiple Interface

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:43 pm

I need the ability to combine multiple interfaces, but not all interfaces, for sharing part of the overall available bandwidth, but not all of the available bandwidth.

Real-world situation:

ethernet wan 50Mbps backhaul to Internet
ethernet lan divided into 100 802.1Q VLANs

Each VLAN is a client.

VLAN2-VLAN51: Each client is buying 1Mbps download and 512Kbps upload of shared backhaul. I want to over-commit and allocate 10Mbps of backhaul download and 5Mbps of backhaul upload to these clients out of the 50Mbps.

VLAN52-62: Each client is buying 2Mbps download and 2Mbps upload of shared backhaul. I want to over-commit and allocate 10Mbps of backhaul to these clients out of the 50Mbps.

VLAN63: The client is buying 10Mbps "dedicated" from the backhaul.

The old router was "plain" Linux and I was using IMQ to accomplish this. I don't see how to get this done with Mikrotik. Is there a hidden feature, do I not understand, or am I out of luck?

rboerom
just joined

Re: Bandwidth Control/Traffic Shaping Combing Multiple Interface

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:59 pm

simple queue , selecting the interface

catkins
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:22 pm

The previous response to my post is not an answer.

alex_rhys-hurn

Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:24 pm

hi catkins.

Welcome to the world of mikrotik.

Also congratulations for walking headlong in to the same thing that I am many others have found when posting in this forum.

When you say that the post that was given is not an answer, I can understand your position. In fact that post does contain enough information to get you head started.

You cant be blamed for not realising this of course, but what you need to do is look up those topics in the manual.

These forums are no use to you without the manual.

But having said that here is some more info:

Mikrotik works with queues, and to achieve what you want is to create some queues of a given speed and then attach those queues to the vlan interfaces. You may find that you have to mark your traffic using the mangle feature under the ip>firewall menu.

Please take time to read the manual to understand the comments made here.

Also read the examples in the wiki on wiki.mikrotik.com

Rgds

Alex

catkins
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Thanks for the response. I did read the manual. The essence of the problem is that queues are tied to an interface. This same problem exists in Linux.

Maybe in Mikrotik parlance, what I want is a "virtual" interface, that collects several VLANs together, so that they can share a queue. This is what IMQ gives you in Linux-land.

For this particular customer, I'm bring in a large amount of Internet bandwidth, but I have many different types of customers. I want to granularly control the over commit ratio based on the type of customer. The customers pay $20 dollars a month are going to share bandwidth out of a 10Mbps backhaul link. A couple of customers are paying for "dedicated" backhaul. As it is with Mikrotik, the total of all my maximum download rates far exceeds the capacity of my backhaul, and because the queues are tied to the vlan interfaces, all these queues are competing equally with each other, at least that is the behavior I see.

Maybe this is going to be a feature request. An intermediate queue might be too much of a hack. From a configuration perspective, an elegant solution could be an option to use the queue tied to the physical interface rather than the vlan. I could then tag the packets and use HTB on the physical interface.

How does someone submit a feature request?

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:13 pm

catkins -

alex_rhys-hurn is correct in his thought about using queuing. The part you missed about using queuing is that you can take the vlans (shared vlans for bandwidth - vlans 2- 51) and make them part of a 'Master' or 'Mother' queue (whatever you want to call it...) so that they share equally in whatever the bandwidth is for that Master queue that they are part of... You would give shared vlans the maximun you described below in it's own queue, then make that queue part of a 'Master' queue that has the overall limits that you want for all of the 'shared' vlans (2 -51) to share.

future feature requests link: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewforum.php?f=1

Hope that helps...

R/

alex_rhys-hurn

Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 am

Yes, galaxynet is correct, here is a very rough logical example of what can be done (and IS being done by many mikrotik users):

Note that the numbers dont necessarily add up or anything, it is just a rough example to show the sort of logic you need to apply to working with routeros.

You may see different examples in the wiki, but you may have to combine the examples to come up with a model that suits your business.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/PCQ_Examples
queues.jpg
Hope this helps,

Rgds

Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.