Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fancy Power Router doesnt give me the throughput I need

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:02 pm

I have a 12X1.5 meg suddenlink connection using Toshiba cable modem. We have tested the connection speed with a laptop and get our desired speeds. When we hook up a virgin power router with just an IP to communicate with modem on average we get 3-5meg x 1.4. Why the bottle neck? We put a rb532 instead and get the same results. We hooked up a WRTG linksys wireless router and get our desired bandwidth. Several consultants have looked at our config and don't understand why we are having these throughput issues. The OS v3.2. First we thought the power router was having problems communicating with the toshiba modem. We purchased a Motorolla surfboard modem and we get same results. I have timeouts to the cable modem gateway through the power router as well. But when my laptop is connected no problems with speed or timeouts. We are in the process of getting a fiber connection but, for now I want 12meg through our $1400.00 power router. p.s we have tried a new power router with a virgin config and same results. The cable modem connects with Ethernet directly to the power router.

dibatech
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Fancy Power Router doesnt give me the throughput I need

Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:30 pm

Does your Mikrotik router create a pppoe-session through each modem on its own ethernet interface or does your routers have static ip's configured and act as routers themselves?

jsparrott
just joined

Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:00 pm

I'd look at the speed/duplex settings. Sounds like reduced throughput due to duplex mismatch causing crc/frame errors. Maybe manually set them?

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:01 am

yes the cable modems have statics built in to the modem, and they are running half duplex. The interfaces have been manually configured for full and half duplex with no apparent change to the timeouts or the bandwidth issues. Any one have any more ideas?

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:30 am

did you try plugging both into a switch? Also, are the IP's static or ppp?
Network Administrator
Kansas Hosting and Wichita Data Centers

dibatech
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:43 am

If you have multiple routers with static ip's connected to the same Mikrotik then you are probably running some type of load balancing algorithm? Does the routers have different public ip's assigned to them or do they have private ip's assigned on their ethernets?

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:00 am

I'm more interested in the testing method.

I think the only way hoe to test it 100% is to have heavy (many connections max traffic) p2p download:
1) directly to the laptop
2) thought router to the laptop
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:24 pm

I did try a cisco switch in between the modem and the power router... no change.

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:32 pm

If you have multiple routers with static ip's connected to the same Mikrotik then you are probably running some type of load balancing algorithm? Does the routers have different public ip's assigned to them or do they have private ip's assigned on their ethernets? The Mikrotik clients and back hauls and AP's have private IP's they run OSPF. They all come through on one backhaul that is directly connected to our core router(power router) the Ethernet ports have privates and a public for NAT purpose. The public address goes out to the cable modem. The only router we have on our network is the Mikrotik power router. We have about 80 clients.

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:34 pm

I'm more interested in the testing method.

I think the only way hoe to test it 100% is to have heavy (many connections max traffic) p2p download:
1) directly to the laptop
2) thought router to the laptop

Shouldn't a power router handle 12x 1.5 meg throughput with only one connection from cable modem and laptop. Why test with a load and max connections if it cant handle the troughput without a load?

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I know someone will be able to help us through this.

dibatech
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Excuse my stupidity but....
Could you please explain to me what a 12X1.5 meg suddenlink connection is as we don't get these where i'm from.

A real shot in the dark for me would be to check the mtu / mss values you are using. Is your Suddenlink + Toshiba combo changing tcp mss and / or mtu?

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:06 pm

No thats not a stupid question sorry. 12meg download by 1.5meg upload connection from a cable Internet ISP

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:08 pm

Our MTU is 1500

dibatech
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:29 am

Have you tried these rules?

/ip firewall mangle
add action=jump chain=forward comment="" disabled=no jump-target=mss tcp-flags=syn
add action=change-mss chain=mss comment="" disabled=no new-mss=1440 protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn tcp-mss=!536-1460
add action=change-mss chain=mss comment="" disabled=no new-mss=1440 protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn tcp-mss=1460-65535
add action=change-mss chain=mss comment="" disabled=no new-mss=clamp-to-pmtu protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn

These rules have been poached from other posts in this forum and seems to sort out various SSL and http problems over DSL. This should help if it is mtu related.