Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Wyoming
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Power Monitoring

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:09 pm

I am rebuilding a site so that it is going to run straight DC to all the equipment on site. So the AC power will come into the nema box and from that it will go to a AC to DC converter. Of this I will wire all the equipment up to the AC to DC converter along with some batteries to back up the site if AC fails. What I am looking for is some sort of power monitor that can monitor the AC power at the site and send an alarm if the AC power fails. This way I know we are on battery power and we need to send someone out to check out the power. I don't really have room to fit a UPS onsite to monitor power through it.

Has anyone used anything like this or know of any device that would work for this application?

Thanks
Phil

hulk-bd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Power Monitoring

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Good idea.
Don't worry, be happy :) .......

hroubaix
just joined

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:30 pm

Hi, we found a cheap and very effective solutions for this. Please have a look at http://www.gsmsystems.co.za. We are using the 2x2N board and programmed it to sms us if there is a power failure and when the was power restored. You can hard reboot devices by cutting the power to a device via sms. Very cool device! :D

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:47 am

If you have a spare switch or hub plug that into a spare port on the routerboard
Plug the hub into AC

Power goes out, link drops, routerbord script sends emails

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:06 am

If you have a spare switch or hub plug that into a spare port on the routerboard
Plug the hub into AC

Power goes out, link drops, routerbord script sends emails

Nice idea! :D
But what if my routerboard is in an outdoor box in a mast? I have to run a separate cable for this!
And using an old swithc or hub. You are right, good idea. I only have the feeling its a bit of a clumsy way of doing things.

There must be other/better ways of achieving a mains power monitor function?

Rudy

Wyoming
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:18 am

Thank you for all the ideas, I am trying to find a way to monitor the power that I can use the existing network to sent the message so I don't need any additional costs such as a cell phone. The installation of a device that is powered off the AC that will die when the power drops has also crossed my mind but it is kind of a work around for having a proper monitor in place. I was hoping that someone else had found a device that could monitor the power and send alerts or be monitored by snmp so that the monitoring system we have in place now could be used with it. I will keep looking as I know there has to be something out there to archive this.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Phil

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:13 pm

Phil,

I have two of these units monitoring the power for me (and since my equipment is in a basement they also monitor against flooding.)
http://www.ipenabled.com/sp2.html

Its a nice device, but not very cheap. Outside US shipping and taxes double my price so I am looking for something else now.

Equis:
Can you show me your script for monitoring an interface beeing alive or not? I have made me some e-mail send scripts that works but how do you monitor an interface? I'm not a star in the scripting language.

rgds

Rudy
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.