Community discussions

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mikrotik Transparent IP Proxy Cache

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Is anyone using it with a large number of clients? Any issues with Frontpage extensions or anything? We used it in past and had a number of issues with certain websites not working and some Frontpage clients not working and I just wandered if that had been fixed?

Matt

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Mikrotik Transparent IP Proxy Cache

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:09 pm

I use it with Frontpage without issues since v3. I have clients upwards of 500 end users without issues as well.
Dennis Burgess, MCTCE, MTCNA, MCTCTE, MTCWE, MTCNIE, A+, N+, MCP, MTCSE Mikrotik Certified Consultant / Trainer
Need Mikrotik Support: http://www.linktechs.net -- Link Technologies, Inc.
-- Author of "Learn RouterOS: Second Edition"

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:25 pm

In version 2.9 with Mikrotiks own IP cache I had issues. There were also issues with high CPU load. Did you experience any problems in 2.9 releases? Are you saying they went away for you in 3.x?

I am using an outside Squid box right now which Mikrotik DST-NAT's to and it works great but I would rather switch back since its a pain keeping how the Squid box is tied into things all straight. To DST-NAT to the Squid box it had to be in a seperate subnet.

Matt

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:35 am

CPU usage depends on the hardware you are running! In 2.9 it is a squid system of some type, but all of that was repaced in v3.
Dennis Burgess, MCTCE, MTCNA, MCTCTE, MTCWE, MTCNIE, A+, N+, MCP, MTCSE Mikrotik Certified Consultant / Trainer

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:37 am

CPU usage depends on the hardware you are running! In 2.9 it is a squid system of some type, but all of that was repaced in v3.
In MT 2.9.x I tried both the Squid version and there IP test version. CPU load was massive on both while using a 2.6 ghz P4 CPU and 1G of RAM. Also some websites did not work and some flavors of Frontpage would not work. Switched that box to just DST-NATing port 80 to an outside Squid box. The Mikrotik CPU load dropped to a little of nothing. The Squid box running on a 2.2 ghz Athlon64 CPU and 1G of DDR rarely excedes 4 percent CPU load. THats handling 8mbps average(not sure how much is http), about 700 Internet accounts, no idea how many total PC's.

I just wander if doing all routing and caching was just asking to much of Mikrotik. I did clear the disk cache and set max size too zero for a while and it had no effect on CPU load.

Did you try the cache on 2.9.x and if so what were your experiences? I am just wandering if I should try it again in 3.x if its improved. Don't want to get custommers using Frontpage upset either. Its weird though. Most versions of Frontpage worked its just certain older ones did not.

Matt

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:50 pm

2.9 was an old kernal. We have seen improvements on x86 systems, just by moving from 2.9 to 3.0. Not to mention, on the newer version 3.4+ you can use SMP, or multi-processor support. Also, it depends on the hardware you are using to do the caching. We only use 8M cached SATA drives in our units. Like I said, we have units running 500+ users, with a 20 meg pipe and we see between 20-40% depending.

We have not got one of our 2200s out in the field in this position, but I would expect it would be much lower due to the CPUs and the Drive used.

karo84
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:03 am

After upgrate My ROS 3.7 does NOT WORK almost for Redirecting HTTP requests,
I thought to Upgrade to 3.7 from 2.9.51 for using several Proxy servers, But now I am having just Problems.
I don't know what to do

Thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:11 pm

What exact problems are you having? We are running proxy in many locations, also thousands of customers are running it. Explain what exactly is not working right, and post your config
No answer to your question? How to write posts

karo84
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:50 pm

Normis if your question is direced to me, I'll answer.
So I have PIII on which is running ROS 3.7, Before was ROS 2.9.51.
When it was running ROS 2.9.51 everything was ok, but I had to use several proxy servers to servemy clients.
For that solution I thought, that I could upgrade to 3.7 and use the HTTP redirect featureof ROS.
While the traffic was least than 1,5~2 Mbps, the ROS is working fine and my redirections to.
After that when the traffic grew up all the redirections were crashed, the ROS did not redirect any HTTP requests,
even sometimes I received error from Mikrotik HTTP Proxy anauthorized,or something ike that.
Give me some advise, what can I do?

Thanks With The Best Regards
Karapet Aznavuryan

thavinci

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Would like some input over here.
I have a site that i suspect has problems with frontpage extensions. Many customers are reporting complaints that they cannot upload websites.

I am using MT as transparent proxy and came accross this forum topic in a search.

Is there known problems with MT's proxy and frontpage extensions?
http://www.thavinci.za.net

echo "Demo license expired!"
echo "Please reinstall the router."
echo
kill -WINCH 1
exit