Community discussions

MikroTik App

Eliminateur
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Licensing, bridge, ns, m3p and radio settings?

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:58 pm

As you can see fromt he title, i have a ton of questions!, here they are:

1) nstreme can do packet framing(disabled by default) but so can M3P, does M3P work for bridge?, which framing works better?, can i use M3P AND nstreme(leaving framing disabled?, what if i enable framing on nstreme as well?)?

2) On the options for atheros cards, it says that using hw-comp disables encription, how much better is hw-comp compared to M3p full compression?

3) Tx power settings, i see that it has a manual and a card setting, how do they differ?, i'm planning on putting a R52, that means that if i leave it to "card setting" the card itself will configure to max output power based on the datarate, then what does the manual tx-power setting does in this case?

4) How do i make a simple PtP bridge?, do i use "bridge" mode in both ends, or one end "ap-bridge" and the other "bridge"? (from the reference: "bridge - the interface is operating as a bridge. This mode acts like ap-bridge with the only difference being it allows only one client")

5) Level 3 and bridge: is this possible?, i've been reading the online ROS 3.0 ref manual and i'm confused now, in one part it says that for using wireless you need level 4, in another, that you must not use bridge because it's unstable, that you need to use WDS-bridge(and WDS is not covered in level3 AFAIK) (http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3. ... reless.php)
"The IEEE 802.11 standard limitation makes it impossible for wireless cards in station mode to work as expected when bridged. That means that if you need to create a bridge, you should not use station mode on that machine. In case you need a bridge on a wireless station, use station-wds mode (may only be used in the AP supports WDS). Bridging on the AP side works fine."

thanks in advance

Eliminateur
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Licensing, bridge, ns, m3p and radio settings?

Fri May 02, 2008 1:45 am

anyone?

HellMind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 02, 2008 3:43 am

Read The Fine Manual

Eliminateur
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2008 3:47 am

Read The Fine Manual
Read my post first before posting useless comments, all the things i've asked aren't specified in the manual

jcremin

Fri May 02, 2008 7:04 am

1) I'm not sure what M3P is

2) I don't know anyone that uses compression... I DO see many posts about people who had problems and turning compression off helped. I don't see much reason to enable compression.

3) Manual TX power forces the card to a specific power level, regardless of datarate. LEAVE IT AT DEFAULT unless you NEED LESS power. And then make sure you know the power offsets if you use a UBNT card. Changing this without knowing what it should be set to will either blow your card or cause things to perform poorly.

4) They could both be Bridge... I usually run AP Bridge on one side and Station WDS on the other. Either way, you should read up on WDS links in order to make a good bridge.

5) You can create a WDS bridge on a level 3 license. In this case, you do have to use Bridge as "ap bridge" isn't supported.

Hope that helps.

Joe