Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

paulchops
Topic Author

Redirect DNS request

Thu May 01, 2008 7:14 am

I am interested in implementing OpenDNS for some of my business customers that need content filtering.

(when a users PC is pointed at OpenDNS server, “the filtering works”. If the customer puts a dif. DNS server in his PC locally, then he can bypass it)

BUT, If I force said business customer to use a Mtik at their premise, can I then “redirect” or “spoof” all DNS requests from customer LAN to the specific OpenDNS server ??

Preferably, I would like to also make an “exception” to the rule, so that a specific LAN IP address would NOT have their DNS requesting address changed.

Seems like there should be a pretty easy way to do it, but I am not that experienced with the Firewall yet.

Thanks!

Paul McCall, PDMNet

hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Redirect DNS request

Thu May 01, 2008 12:30 pm

Something like this;

ip firewall nat add chain=dstnat in-interface=ether1 protocol=udp port=53 action=dst-nat to-addresses=208.67.222.222 to-ports=53

You'll have to have a static IP or find some way of sending your dynamic address to opendns. I haven't been able to do that (still young in scripting experience).

Hope this helps.
Regards
Hilton