Community discussions

UniKyrn
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Nstreme2 question

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:29 pm

Ok, I've puzzled through the docs and gotten a pair of systems working with nstreme2, but there are a couple of questions remaining. It's never mentioned in the docs, but I'm assuming that the ssid shown in the wireless interfaces isn't actually used for anything, the MAC address of the Nstreme Dual interface is what controls who gets attached?

Also, using a pair of Routerboards and running a bandwidth test from an external machine to the Routerboard at the far end, I can't get more than about 14Mbit/s on a tcp receive or xmit test. It increases to about 16Mbit if I do a udp test. This is while both systems report that both wireless interfaces are running at 54Mbit/s. I assume this is just the limit of the cpu being able hit, it can't push packets any faster then that? Has anybody got a rough chart of what kind of horsepower you need to go after higher throughputs?

This setup has each nstreme interface bridged to the ethernet interface, I'm trying to create a "pipe" through the air. I know the bridge will have an effect on throughput also, would performace increase if the ethernet and nstreme interfaces had their own IP nets and I routed traffic instead of bridged it? I wouldn't think so, but it doesn't hurt to ask, usually. :)

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:25 am

Yup you need >600MHz with Nstreme to avoid the CPU being limiting, and I guess than means even more for Nstreme2.
Doubt it's a direct proportion function though I'd look at 1GHz for sure ..

Regards
CableFree - Wireless Excellence - Microwave, E-band Radios, Free Space Optics, High performance Radios & Routers
http://www.cablefree.net

phendry
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:40 am

Yup you need >600MHz with Nstreme to avoid the CPU being limiting, and I guess than means even more for Nstreme2.
What about with the new Routerboard 500??

UniKyrn
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:51 am

We'll find out shortly. We've got a small number of them on order for evaluation and part of that will be my nstream2 testbed. :)

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:07 am

Great - if you can post some results, preferably a comparitive one with some x86 CPUs and %utilisation as well as BW throughput also that'd be superb ...

Regards
CableFree - Wireless Excellence - Microwave, E-band Radios, Free Space Optics, High performance Radios & Routers
http://www.cablefree.net