Community discussions

MikroTik App

noir
Topic Author

4 adsl lines as One

Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:49 pm

How can i set up either through load ballancing or something, to run 4 adsl lines as one, they are all from the same isp and have different ip's but the same gateway.

This is cheaper to do for us than getting a 2mbit dsl line.

spire2z
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:49 pm

You can just read the instructions to setup load balancing. I don't think it's possible to combine the bandwidth though.

HarvSki

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:52 pm

The is talk of this in the Beta forum. But it looks to me like you must have an ISP that supports is and this: http://www.freestuffjunction.co.uk/bondedadsl.shtml

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:31 pm

I believe bonded interfaces are supported in 2.9

HarvSki

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:42 pm

you would need a MT box at the ISP too for this to work, Freejunciton CD uses MPPP

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Did you get those A ADSL lines Bonded

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:55 am

We setup a MT in the ISP and another at a test site and we got it to bond the lines from MT 2 MT but it had a problem after it went out to the net.
My partner Joe was working on it. the last email I got before he started working on a Linux solution was :

James,
with the current setup, client can download over the two links from radius server at about 250K/s. the tested download from nvidia got about 80K/s.
The current setup is :
mikrotik at the co-lo, one public IP on one network card plugged in. two eoip tunnels to the client, "bonded".
Set up at client is : three network cards in use, one on private LAN (with skycom1 public IP network routed to/through it), two network cards connected to DSL. Client mikrotik has two eoip tunnels to co-lo, bonded.
I will try to test this out some more. The setup directions werent very descriptive.

We still have the test units setup if someone else want to take a crack at it!

I would pay for a special Level Key if MT would make it work for us, because we have a big ass market for this type of product.

We have another 30 to 60 days before company X will have the bugs worked out of there bonding box. But the only problem there is the price. A 3 line bonding box will cost 2000.00 so it's not so good at that price.
At this point I would drop 5 grand to the MT team if they would get me a working flashmod. I would even buy the RB44s from them or the new RB500 with the addon card to up the ethernet ports.
We could sale at least 2000 boxes the first year if not more if we could get the price down around $500.00US.

If anyone is willing to help, pickup the phone. 504-234-2748 call James any time!

lastguru

Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:07 pm

I am not sure I understand your setup and your problem.

Is it so that you have one (lets call it "server") location with one interface and one IP on it, and another unit (lets call it "client" here) with two interfaces each connected to a DSL line (both having different IPs)? Now, establishing EoIP tunnels from the server to the client should work fine, as it has two diferent destination addresses. Having clients connect both EoIP tunnels to one IP address of the server means that they will probably only be using one DSL line.

To overcome this problem, i think you should have two addresses on the server, so that you could differentiate between the addresses. Now, you should have client configured so that one of the server's IP addresses is routed through one of the DSL lines, and the other address would go through the second DSL. And don't forget using different tunnel-id on all EoIP tunels.

Does this solution sound plausible?

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

But! the speed is 250KB on downloads

Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:00 pm

The ServerMT at the co-lo is on a switch with the radius server. We can download from the radius servers speed test page at 250KB and a single ADSL line can only get 150KB, so we know the bonding works. In fact if we download from anything in the co-lo it's at least 250KB but if we download from NVIDIA it only gets 80KB.
Would the Packing feature help on the download speed with out driving the pings thru the roof?
I am going to setup a web page with a detailed diagram of the bonding setup.
Also, what do you think the minimum system should be to run this on the client side with 4 ADSL lines being bonded and the server side with 10 or 20, 20 or 50, 50 or 100 clients connected to it?

Lastguru, do you work for MT?
Is this something you could get working for me? If so I will PAY.
I have Broad Voice VoIP service and Packet8 VoIP so I can call you to workout the details.
This is a vary important project for us. So the faster it gets done the better.
You can email me at jober@skycom1.com

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

MultilinkPPPoATM may not work over ethernet

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:25 pm

you would need a MT box at the ISP too for this to work, Freejunciton CD uses MPPP
The Freejunction solution is based on MultiLinkPPPoA. So you would need the Radius or PPPoA server at the ISP that runs the DSLAMs to have mlppp enabled.
We here in the US for the most part have PPPoE wich could work but it's been hard to find Cisco Docs on doing it with PPPoE insted of PPPoA.
Both of the ISPs we use are resales of the BellSouth Network so the PPPoE or PPPoA is being proxyed to them. This means that if Bell does'nt have it enabled and setup then it's not going to work.
One of the ISP we are using is trying to get it working but I don't have much hope at this point.
Now as for the MT solution it would be transpairent to the Bell system or any other ISP for that matter. So we all would gain from MT getting a solution for this. MT has a good start, now they need to keep on trucking with it.

lastguru

Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:59 pm

We can download from the radius servers speed test page at 250KB and a single ADSL line can only get 150KB, so we know the bonding works. In fact if we download from anything in the co-lo it's at least 250KB but if we download from NVIDIA it only gets 80KB.
Please give me the address and route list
Would the Packing feature help on the download speed with out driving the pings thru the roof?
I am not sure i understand what does this "driving the pings thru the roof" mean