Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cyclone
just joined
Topic Author

Combine 2 adsl lines

Thu May 29, 2008 8:29 am

Is it possible to combine 2 adsl lines on RouterOS? Not loadbalancing, I want bandwidth to come from both lines at the same time. So if I say download a file i want it to use both lines providing double the speed.

meconet
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Combine 2 adsl lines

Thu May 29, 2008 10:08 am

Yes, if your carrier offers MLPPP you can use it.

If not, you can do some workarounds using EoIP between the system at your side and a second Mikrotik based system in a computercenter. You can bound the both EoIP Interfaces on each side, so you have one pipe. Configuration can be found in the manual.

Regards
Lutz

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 29, 2008 9:07 pm

Is it possible to combine 2 adsl lines on RouterOS? Not loadbalancing, I want bandwidth to come from both lines at the same time. So if I say download a file i want it to use both lines providing double the speed.
this is also call Load Balancing...

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 29, 2008 11:55 pm

this is also call Load Balancing...
I think other threads and my own enquiries in this direction have established that "load balancing" as applied in this situation is not what the submitter wants.

I believe he wants to combine two DSL modems to deliver one connection at their combined speed - ie two 6mbps modems delivering 12mbps, so that if he requests the latest Ubuntu distribution (a 650MB download) it would arrive at 12mbps.

I have been given to understand this is only possible - as meconet says - with the assistance of your ISP willing to 'bind' the DSL lines (rare) or by some upstream trickery involving what is essentially a proxy doing the binding for you (probably expensive).

Load balancing of the modems from your side merely means allocating connections to the modems usually on a round-robin basis, but if connections 1 and 3 are Linux distribution downloads and connection 2 is an email check one modem is going to be a lot busier than the other, and you can only ever get the maximum bps one modem can provide.

But I'd love to learn that I'm wrong.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Fri May 30, 2008 12:14 am

Simply put....

Bonding = Multiple "pipes" into one large connection. A single download, will show the total speed of all pipes. i.e. 2 x 256x1meg, the download would be at 2meg.

Load balancing = Same exact thing as above, but, a single download will never exceed the SINGLE pipe it is on. so.. i.e. 2 x 256x1meg, the download would be at most 1 meg. A second download though, if it ends up on the separate pipe, will be 1 meg.

Load Balancing works very well, its is not perfect, and you will not wish to sell a package bigger than your smallest pipe, but more users you have, the better this works. To bond, there are two ways, one, MLPPP, or two, by using bonding to some location upstream. This usually requires two mikrotik routeros.

meconet
Trainer
Trainer

Fri May 30, 2008 12:35 am

we did a lot of real world tests with different DSL lines and speeds using MT RouterOS and bonding of EoIP tunnels.

It works only in one configuration pretty good: All links have the same speed. Any kind of mixed speed will slow down your traffic. So for such configuration we use a total different vendor, wich also can include ISDN and GSM/UMTS links in such 'bonding' high speed and high availability virtual links.

Regards
Lutz

networkjock
just joined

Fri May 13, 2011 9:38 pm

You can fine hardware devices (sort of like routers) that do broadband bonding. If you search online i think there is a company that allows you to do it at a higher layer so that you don't have to coordinate with ISPs.