Community discussions

MikroTik App

postmanerk
just joined
Topic Author

Virtual AP on Prism Based Cards

Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:23 pm

I am wanting to have 2 SSIDs on an AP so I can setup my fixed wireless subscribers on one SSID and have MAC RADIUS authentication with PPPoE and on the Hotspot SSID allow anyone and everyone connect, but force them through the hotspot function of the AP. I know with Aetheros this is possible. I found this thread Previous Post that mentions the same scenario. I currently have the fixed wireless working fine, I want to add the hotspot for the downtown area and to get a little more exposure for people with the laptops. Maybe put a splash page for an advertisement for the wireless DSL.

I have read in the documentation that it is not possible with Prism based cards. Does that also include Prism 2.5? (probably a stupid/obvious question, so please don't flame)

I don't want to get too technical, but why will the Prism card not work and the Aetheros will? Will this be supported in the future?

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:42 pm

Prism 2.5 won't do VirtualAP, too.
As far as the reason is concerned: I'm not sure, but I think the Prisms' don't support this from the design/firmware, which Atheros chipsets do...