Community discussions

MikroTik App

bino
Topic Author

Support for Board with "LAN By Pass" Feature

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:25 am

Dear All ..
I have a board with multi port GBE that come with "LAN By Pass" modes via a jumper.
The controller is Intel

I already installed RouterOS on this board .. and all interface displayed correctly.

My question : Is RouterOS support for "LAN By Pass" Mode ?
Sincerely
-bino-

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Support for Board with "LAN By Pass" Feature

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:14 am

Isn't that like a hardware feature?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:49 pm

The bypass feature can be controlled by software, or by a watchdog timer configurable for 1-63 second operation, according to the company.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:29 pm

Our Carrier-Class PowerRouters have two ports with lan by-pass in them!

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:55 pm

But the by-pass-functionality will probably not be enabled or controlled by software.
What MIGHT work is that the by-pass mode is active when the unit is physically switched off (no power).

But what would be nice (and I have asked MikroTik for this probably years ago) would be using the watchdog feature of those cards. I.e. IF RouterOS should ever hang and NOT reboot itself (which happens rarely, but happens) the network interfaces would be switched to bypass.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:22 pm

Hanging is a different beast and I don't think that any card etc, supports this.

In our units, its purly a hardware function. While power is supplied to the board a relay, or the likes, keeps the two ports open. I.e. unconnected. During a power failure, or other power loss, the relay would loose power, causing the ports to switch closed. Hence, then they are connected.

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:57 pm

All cards I have in the shelf here do provide the ability to operate in "software-watchdog" mode:

I.e. you configure them for startup, they go to "non-bypass-mode". The stay in that mode as long as the wathcdog trigger software does give the card a "I'm still alive" signal every few seconds (configurable). If this heartbeat is not getting to the card anymore (kernel panic, for example), the card will go to bypass mode automatically.

gustkiller

Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:20 pm

All cards I have in the shelf here do provide the ability to operate in "software-watchdog" mode:

I.e. you configure them for startup, they go to "non-bypass-mode". The stay in that mode as long as the wathcdog trigger software does give the card a "I'm still alive" signal every few seconds (configurable). If this heartbeat is not getting to the card anymore (kernel panic, for example), the card will go to bypass mode automatically.
its would be an awesome feature with to work with some border mikrotiks that act as a traffic shaper like a (man in the middle betwen , Upstream provider and the border / core switch or router)

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:49 pm

How does that work when they loose power?

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:53 pm

our toplayer box does this. basically a relay that just drops all 8 pins to 8 pins on the rj45. It should be able to deactivate that relay based on watchdog or power loss.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:57 pm

Like I said, the PowerRouter 732 does this without issues, it is a hardware feature, not software. So if power loss does occur, it does directly connect the pins. On the PCI cards, that offer this "software watchdog", thats great, but what happens if it looses power..

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:36 am

Dennis,

of course those PCI cards do THE SAME when power is lost - the activate the by-pass. It's just an ADDITIONAL feature to activate the by-pass if power is still there but the watchdog "ping" from the software is lost...