Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

"Default forward" on ethernet

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:44 pm

In a wireless connection we have the feature of default forward, which would enable or disable
the capability of browsing clients computers connected to the wireless interface.

Is there any option similar to this, which can be applied on an ethernet port, so clients
connected to the same ethernet using switch, should not be able to access each other?

Thank you, Toni
-Toni-
Don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: "Default forward" on ethernet

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Use smart switches, use VLANs
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.

hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:56 pm

In a wireless connection we have the feature of default forward, which would enable or disable
the capability of browsing clients computers connected to the wireless interface.

Is there any option similar to this, which can be applied on an ethernet port, so clients
connected to the same ethernet using switch, should not be able to access each other?
Remember that all wireless clients access each other via the single wlan1 port, which means you can disable forwarding.

But on Ethernet, you need a switch/hub for this so as macgaiver says, the only way is to use VLANs. By default, all ethernet ports on a switch are in the same broadcast domain (and VLANs disables this).

Does this make sense?
Regards
Hilton

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:47 pm

Yes of course, it's the first thing that crossed my mind, switch with Vlans.
But you know, I was wishing of a more concentrated solution within Mikrotik
RouterOS, silly somehow huh :)

Thanks for your replies, Toni
-Toni-

Pepo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:44 am

thanks all, but I'm just a Beginner and i want you to tell me how can i do VLans to all of my clients to isolate all of them, can i ???
all i want is to give me a quick example...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:20 am

Yes Pepo, first of all you need a managed switch which gives you the capability to control its ports.
This way you can isolate different computers which connect to the switch. How? Tagging the ports of the switch. Lets say you have a 16 port managed switch, and you want to separate 4 of the computers to the rest of them. You tag those four ports with tag1 lets say and the rest with tag2. The thing gets just a little more complicated when you have two swithes, but the idea remains the same.

Back to the topic. I have seen that even using different IP addresses on the same ethernet port does not make the computers unvisible. Lets say we have the following configuration:
/ip address
192.168.1.1/24 ether1
10.1.1.1/29 ether1

than we do have some computers on the first network and some others on the second. I have noticed that these can still see each other, not by their netbios name, but by their IP address. This is because I think thay have deafault route on the same ethernet port of the router, like:

/ip route
AS 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.10.1
ADC 192.168.1.0/24 ether1
ADC 10.1.1.0/29 ether1

The only way to make them invisible is to use some firewall rules, I think.
-Toni-