Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Blocking MAC From PPPoE Server

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:42 am

Is there anyway to block a given MAC from trying to authenticate to the PPPoE server? I have a few usernames that keep trying to connect and are filling up my log files.

Matt

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Blocking MAC From PPPoE Server

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:15 pm

You can add caller-id for 'ppp secret', set MAC-address to caller-id, then only user with that MAC-address will be able to use particular PPPoE login/password.

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:48 pm

I want to block that MAC completely simply because its repeated attempts to connect clutter up my log file.

Matt

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:38 am

For the wireless you may disallow connection for this MAC-address by access-list.
For the Ethernet you need to find switch, where client is connected and unplug that user from the switch.

rkorolev

Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:58 am

We're using an automated script that check all login attempts and blocks specific MACs in bridge filters if user is trying to connect more than 3 times in 60 seconds, block lasts for sometime and then it's auto-removed.
This also helps to lower the load on an auth server when there's a lot of disconnected clients with negative balance.

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:18 pm

We're using an automated script that check all login attempts and blocks specific MACs in bridge filters if user is trying to connect more than 3 times in 60 seconds, block lasts for sometime and then it's auto-removed.
This also helps to lower the load on an auth server when there's a lot of disconnected clients with negative balance.
Can you please share that script with us . i have started to write that script but it is a little time consume and a guide will be very helpful .
thanks

josefranco
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:23 pm

This is a great idea. It´s possible to share it with us?