Community discussions

MikroTik App

CrazyTerabyte
just joined
Topic Author

Netinstall on wine without being root

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 am

When we try to run Netinstall on Wine, we get bind bootp failed: (10013).

Ok, this happens because it tries to bind to some low port that only root can bind. But, hey, if all I want/need is to install RouterOS on a local USB drive or local memory card, I don't think we need bootp protocol.

So, can you make Netinstall work even if it can't bind to such port? I don't want to run wine as root, and we shouldn't need to.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Netinstall on wine without being root

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:29 am

well, since it is still trying to bind to that low port - you will need root rights to start it up.

i use sudo to launch wine for netinstall, and close it as fast as i can when finished with installation.

IMO, none will make any alterations to netinstall, so, linux users have to cope with this problem.

CrazyTerabyte
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:26 am

i use sudo to launch wine for netinstall, and close it as fast as i can when finished with installation.
If I use sudo, it says: wine: /home/denilson/.wine is not owned by you
I really don't want to mess with wine under root, so I will assume Netinstall won't work under wine until this issue with binding to low ports is fixed.

And it should be easy to fix. If it can't bind to the port, inform the user about that and continue anyway. That error should not be a fatal error. The application can (or should) work even if that error happens.

thadem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:39 pm

how should it work if it can't bind to necessary ports? how can a apache-webserver work if it can't bind itself to port 80? so get yourself comfortable with sudo (which is tricky sometimes) and resolve the permission problems with chmod (which is ugly but works), if you have no possibility to really log in as root and build a new wine-config.

CrazyTerabyte
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:22 pm

how should it work if it can't bind to necessary ports?
It can be used to write something to a local disk. (a disk that I may have permission to write to, even when not root)
resolve the permission problems with chmod (which is ugly but works), if you have no possibility to really log in as root and build a new wine-config.
Yes, I know it. And that's exactly what I don't want to do.

thadem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:34 pm

ok, that makes it clearer. then i revoke all my text and also asks mikrotik to resolve this issue :-)

makkan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:05 am

how should it work if it can't bind to necessary ports? how can a apache-webserver work if it can't bind itself to port 80? so get yourself comfortable with sudo (which is tricky sometimes) and resolve the permission problems with chmod (which is ugly but works), if you have no possibility to really log in as root and build a new wine-config.
Don't act that redicilously, so a mobilephone shouldn't start if it can't get mobile network connection?
Netinstall should not require any network ports to write ROS to a USB flash-drive.

swerty
just joined

Tue May 18, 2021 7:41 am

I also had this bind bootp failed: (10013) error with wine on my Macbook running IOS. To get around this and use winbox and Netinstall on my mac, I ended up just installing Virtual Box with a copy of Windows XP installed. Just modified the network adapter to be bridged to my MacBook ethernet port.