Community discussions

MikroTik App

dominikh
just joined
Topic Author

Saving data to CF-card

Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi!
I've a RouterBOARD 1000 and want to enlarge the storage with a CompactFlash-Card. I tried to use a SanDisk Extreme III with 4 GB, formatted with the FAT32-Filesystem.
I wanted to know, if it's possible to check via WinBox wether the card is supported and is recognized correctly. All I want to do is save the queues on this CF-card.
Does anyone knows how to enable saving the queues on the CF-card?
Thx for help ;).

roadrunner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Saving data to CF-card

Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 pm

I have wanted to store various items on a disk or CF card, logs, graphs, userman data, dude data, etc..

Currently the only way usage of an alternate storage disk (other than your boot disk) is web-proxy cache storage. As far as I know that is the only feature in RouterOS that can use any other disk.

As for your question about queues, queue graphs are stored on the disk but the queues them selves 'store'/buffer the queued packets in RAM not on any disk. You would not want to store queued data on a disk, the latency would be horrible.

When using the disk/CF card for proxy, it will format and prepare it for usage. FAT-32 formatting is un-needed, I believe it formats it as ext2 or ext3 anyway.

If anyone plans to install a new userman system, I recommend installing the RouterOS for it on a new Hard Disk in a x86 machine instead of a flash disk in a x86 PC or a routerboard. The userman logs and database can quickly exhaust the 64MB flash in most routerboards.

When Mikrotik released the new rb433AH that included a microSD slot, there was mention of a new 'feature' that would be announced shortly that could use it. Newsletter 10

dominikh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:39 pm

thx for your answer.
well - did I get you right? That means that it isn't possible to store the images (from the queues) on the CompactFlash-Card?
lg

roadrunner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:25 am

thx for your answer.
well - did I get you right? That means that it isn't possible to store the images (from the queues) on the CompactFlash-Card?
lg
Correct, I have not seen a way to store the images for the graphs on a secondary disk.

dominikh
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:18 pm

d*mn... well - although, thank you very much for your help roadrunner.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm

we are currently working on other things that you will be able to store there. user manager databases, logs etc.

roadrunner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 pm

we are currently working on other things that you will be able to store there. user manager databases, logs etc.
Always improving RouterOS, that is why I like MikroTik
I was hopping it was userman & logs that it could be used for.

Thank you Normis.

dominikh
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:46 pm

You're right roadrunner.
That's why I love Mikrotik too ;).