Community discussions

MikroTik App

parrini
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Kind of a basic question...

Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:47 pm

I am running a PPPoE server on RouterOS, my PPPoE clients are mostly Windows machines.

Here's my doubt:

I know that PPP has an overhead so I must adapt the MTU/MRU but, this adjustment must be done in the PPPoE server running on RouterOS (eg. lowering MTU/MRU from 1500 to, say, 1480) or I must leave the MTU/MRU in 1500 on the server and only change it in the clients?

The MT documentation doesn't say much about it (the example shows the server running with MTU 1500).

What your practical experience says in this matter?

What are the most efficient values? 1500? 1480? 1492?

eneimi

Re: Kind of a basic question...

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:50 pm

PPPoE may increase hardware usage (cpu & ram) a tad bit, but actual overhead? Don't think so.

Changing the default MTU value (1500) probably isn't necessary.

If however you're having issues with getting larger packets through then you could try lowering it a little - essentially this prevents packet fragmentation but could create a 'draw' on your network!

I'm not sure what os your windows clients are running, but winxp pppoe connections do not support manual adjustment of mtu values. It's default for pppoe is 1480.

This leaves you the only other option of adjusting mtu on the server (routeros). At 1500 already, i don't think you want to do that.

If you had routeros clients, then upping the server to 1600 may have been an option or lowering the clients mtu - if it was needful.

My advice, let well alone.

parrini
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Kind of a basic question...

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:28 pm

Ok, thanks for the reply! I'll give it a try this way.