Community discussions

MikroTik App

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB Ethernet Port Always Problem

Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:00 am

Hi, i am always having problem with the ethernet port of MT RB getting burnt while on site denying access to the board via that interface, those with single ethernet interface will automatically become unusable. Currently, i have more than 30 RB with this problem, it cut accross all boards but more frequent in all the level3 licence which i use for my clients. Note that some of these boards were protected with thunder arrestor and ethernet surge arrestor.

Any help? or way forward?

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RB Ethernet Port Always Problem

Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:56 am

All wireless ISPs have this problem. Lightning and static energy can kill wireless devices and the ethernet port is one of the most vulnerable places as static charges might find the ethernet port as the best path to earth (ground).

You will have fewer problems if you improve your equipment grounding and also use grounded lightning arrestors.

You should be grounding at the same place as the electrical service that feeds your equipment. And make sure that the electrical service is properly grounded.

If you are on a tower, make sure the tower is properly grounded. And try not to be the highest on the tower. Then make sure your antennas, equipment, and cables are gournded to the tower. Radio station engineers recommend using shielded cable and grounding the shield every 50 feet. I try to ground my shield at least at the top and the bottom of the tower.

Good luck,

Tom

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: RB Ethernet Port Always Problem

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:55 am

Really, i have not been too careful about grounding, especially those at the antennas on the towers, but i will try that and watch out for the difference. Regard