Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pepo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

PPPOE or VPN !!!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:43 am

Hi all, i want to ask about the best connection for my wireless customers to log into the internet through my mikrotik server, PPPOE or VPN connections ???
:lol:

Pepo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: PPPOE or VPN !!!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:59 pm

WoW, 33 views and no just any hi pepo !!!
8) 8)

thadem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:29 pm

well, as you supplied nearly no information (size of the net, what clients, needed features) i would suggest using pppoe :-)
works with nearly every cpe-equipment out there, has many nice features such as rate-limiting and it is used by the most wisps here.

p.s.: Hi Pepo :-)

exe
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:35 pm

Vote for PPPoE

Pepo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:28 am

thanks for all, but i want to say that i faced some problems on deploying pppoe server to my clients like:
1. the pppoe connection goes to idel if the one of hotspot customers take an ip for that pppoe client.
2. the pppoe connection couldn't be established and a message appears tell you that the server is busy, how it come ???
:lol:

thadem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:28 pm

1. of course use different pools for both services
2. that is too generic, please activate logging for pppoe (winbox -> system -> logging -> +-sign -> choose pppoe -> ok) and post a log when connecting with a client to the server.
and of course be aware that you need a layer2-connection from the pppoe-server to the pppoe-client, thats why it is called PPPoverEthernet :-) so make up a eoip-tunnel from the server to your access-point, if they are not the same system and if they are, confirm that the pppoe-server is running on a bridge or an interface that is directly accessible from the clients, no routing between them and the pppoe-server.