Page 1 of 1

2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:53 am
by tilkov
Hi,

We are running three separate (slow - P3 800 MHz) machines for our internet connectivity (60-70 Mbit total) on Mikrotik 2.9.51, and intent to switch to a single machine to handle that (and upgrade to Mikrotik 3.x)

We only do NAT for 300-400 clients (single masquerade rule) and have only static routes. There are also two PPPoE tunnels, 10 Mbit each (mss clamped to pmtu). No queues, firewall or other heavy stuff. No wireless.

Which type of configuration would you recommend on budget?

- Old server hardware with 2x Xeon 1 GHz, classy motherboard and 512 MB RAM (when made :) )
- A new P4 3 GHz, not *Core - end user-like PC with middle-of-the-line motherboard (say Gigabyte) with 1 GB so-so RAM

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Re: 2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:20 pm
by macgaiver
I would go for single core - most of the processies in the RouterOS are simple
calculation processes - they should benefit more on faster core.

Re: 2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:20 pm
by magic
Use single core. There is a lot of trouble with dual core handling or wait for a stable release. The 4 3GHz will be enough to you.

Re: 2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:01 am
by InoX
I've make some tests:

-one pc with AMD dual core 2x2100Mhz worked fine for about six months; after that kernel panic with no change in the configuration...CPU usage 30-40%
-one pc with Intel P4 2.4Ghz single core (i've replace the AMD dual core) worked fine until MB failed (Gigabyte)...CPU usage 70-80%
-IBM 1U server 2xP3 1.4Ghz (i've replaced the Intel P4) CPU usage 8-10% with the same routerOS instalation.
So it's your choice! :lol:

PS RouterOS 3.11

Re: 2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:33 am
by normis
don't look at the CPU usage! it doesn't give you any useful information about how fast operation is done. see example:

CPU1 did all the operations, and used 30-40% of it's resources
CPU2 did the same operations, but used 70% of it's resourses (it means it still had 30% available resources!)

This tells you NOTHING about performance.

P.S.: Buy the P4

Re: 2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:03 am
by InoX
do you think someone can't do the math?
100-70=30
thats really hard :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought you will say something useful...

Re: 2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:11 am
by normis
so you are saying that you meant something else by your post? your post clearly says that CPU usage is to be taken as a value of performance comparison. I just said to ignore that number COMPLETELY

Re: 2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:02 pm
by changeip
I have to just put in my 2 cents.

If one router is at 30% CPU, and the other is at 70% CPU, which one has more room to grow ? If the CPU isn't at 100% then sure, its fine right now, but how much overhead do you have before your router is maxed and your now in a pinch to get something beefier.

I havent tested this, but I imagine that latency isnt the same on a router with 10% cpu vs a 90% cpu.

Re: 2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:14 pm
by InoX
My new router (the IBM 2xP3 1.4Ghz) is still under 10% in "rush hour" ~210 clients. I'm happy for a 200$ refurbished server.

Re: 2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:36 pm
by ghmorris
This is a three year old? P4 3GHz that handles about 1000 concurrent NAT gateway connections. Its just idling along minding its own business at under 10% at 2:30pm on a busy Friday afternoon...

We had a bit of a struggle finding a hardware config that was absolutely rock solid, but once we did its been super. Still running 2.8 in fact which dates it pretty well. It will probably be replaced by an RB1000 this winter.

George
gateway.jpg

Re: 2x Xeon 1 GHz or 1 x P4 3 GHz

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:24 am
by hillzen
don't look at the CPU usage! it doesn't give you any useful information about how fast operation is done. see example:

CPU1 did all the operations, and used 30-40% of it's resources
CPU2 did the same operations, but used 70% of it's resourses (it means it still had 30% available resources!)

This tells you NOTHING about performance.

P.S.: Buy the P4
Yeah,it's ture. The VM Ware professioner had told me that.