MUM Europe 2020

karo84
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

ROS compatibility !

Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:50 pm

Hello,
I'd like to know can I use such server (Server HP DL380R05 E5345 Performance EU Svr), on which will work Mikrotik ROS
Here the specifications
    * Processors:
          o Quad-Core and Dual-Core Intel® Xeon® processors for blazing performance; systems support up to 2 processors
          o 1333/1066/667 MHz front side bus (FSB)
          o Intel® 5000Z chipset
    * Memory:
          o Eight PC2-5300 Fully Buffered DIMMs (DDR2 667) sockets with online-spare support for cost-effective memory configuration and expansion and 2:1 interleaving
          o Up to 16 GB of memory supported on Dual-Core 5000 and 5100 series
          o Up to 32 GB of memory supported on Dual-Core 5200 series, Quad-Core 5300 and 5400 series
    * Storage Controllers:
          o Entry Models: HP Smart Array E200i/64MB Controller (integrated SAS/SATA Hot-Plug Controller with RAID 0/1/1+0 support)
                + 128MB BBWC optional upgrade kit for RAID 5 support also available
          o Base Models: HP Smart Array E200i/128 BBWC Controller (RAID 0/1/1+0/5) 
    * Internal Drive Support:
          o Up to eight SFF (2.5") or six LFF (3.5") Hot Plug Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) or Serial-ATA (SATA) hard drives
          o Maximum of 6TB of internal storage capacity (using Hot-Plug SATA drives) 
    * Network Controller:
          o Embedded NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Network Adapter with TCP/IP Offload Engine, including support for Accelerated iSCSI through an optional Licensing Kit
    * Expansion Slots:
          o Six total expansion slots
          o One 64-bit/133-MHz PCI-X; two 64-bit/100-MHz PCI-X; three x8 PCI Express (x4 speed)
          o Optional PCI-X Expander provides additional two 64-bit/100-MHz PCI-X slots by converting a single PCI Express slot
          o A single x8 PCI Express slot with x8 bus speed can be achieved by attaching the x4/x8 PCIE Bus Expander option kit. (Please see the chart and notes in the Expansion Slots under Standard Features below for more details) 
    * USB Ports:
          o Six USB 2.0 ports: (2) front; (2) rear; (2) internal 
    * Integrated Hypervisors: (Optional)
          o Citrix XenServer virtualization technology
    * Redundancy:
          o Optional Hot plug redundant power supplies
          o Support for optional redundant system fans 
    * Management:
          o HP Insight Control Environment server management software
          o Integrated Lights-Out 2 featuring Integrated Remote Console with KVM over IP performance over shared network access
          o Support for ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU) and redundant ROM
          o Systems Insight Manager, SmartStart, and Automatic Server Recovery 2 (ASR-2)
          o HP Power Meter and Power Regulator for ProLiant, delivering integrated power consumption monitoring and server level, policy based power management for industry leading energy efficiency and savings on system power and cooling costs 
    * Deployment/Serviceability:
          o Optional parallel and second serial port available without using a PCI slot
          o Tool-free chassis entry and component access
          o Tool-free motherboard removal
          o Universal rail solution supporting both square and round hole rack environments
          o Customer Self Repair (CSR): HP products are designed with many CSR parts to minimize repair time and allow for greater flexibility in performing defective parts replacement
Waiting For Your Reply MikroTik Team

With Regards Karapet Aznavuryan

aagyung
just joined

Re: ROS compatibility !

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:27 pm

the question for you is how many users will use internet.
I think the hardware is very very high for mikrotik :-)

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:33 pm

That box is way too high powered unless you know what your doing with it.

Network Controller:
o Embedded NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Network Adapter with TCP/IP Offload Engine, including support for Accelerated iSCSI through an optional Licensing Kit

Those NICs are probably not going to work... and neither will that SATA/SAS controller.

Sam
Colo and Wholesale Bandwidth Available! Sales at SanDiegoBroadband dot com

karo84
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:44 pm

I want to use that server to have cache on it and filters NAT everything and even Layer7 Filter.

dankerr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:46 am

Network Controller:

Those NICs are probably not going to work... and neither will that SATA/SAS controller.
All of the HP NC series NIC I've dealt with have been Intel or Broadcom based. They should work fine (the NC series on an HP DL140 work fine).

Most of the servers we've been buying lately have been Dell; but I've worked with many HP/Compaq. We have several DL380 G4, but no G5 that I can think of to check. The big question is if there is a standard PATA or SATA controller there for the optical drive. You'll also need to verify if that port is bootable using a HD (or flash of some kind) as the newer Dells that still have a PATA port for the CD are crippled to only boot SATA.

I can verify that a Dell PowerEdge 2950 is compatible with ROS v3.x. The PE2950 is in the same class as a DL380 (2U, redundant supplies, etc...). It has two Broadcom Gig NIC and two internal SATA ports. We special ordered ours stripped down without an Optical drive or RAID and the associated backplane. Today we hit a new peak of 1.4Gbs tx on a single 10G interface (+/- 3Gbs total throughput).