Community discussions

MikroTik App

acim
Topic Author

Regarding "MikroTik Success stories" e-mail message

Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:27 pm

Mikrotik team, thank you for your great work and just keep working like that, we all support you :)

Regarding this e-mail I received and probably lot of other members of this forum also, I am happy to hear your success stories, maybe some other users have even more to tell, even me, but I have to mention something more about this, at least something regarding situation in my country, Serbia.

Your main software product, Mikrotik OS is used here a LOT, REALLY A LOT. But, we need strong machines to be able to support our and our clients needs.

Please don't stop supporting x86 platform because we would broke up otherwise. We need strong base stations with lot of MHz or better say GHz. At this moment I can really use just AH routerboards, all others are way slow. RB-1000 is fast, I agree, but there are no mini-PCI slots.

If you decide to stop supporting x86 (better say multicore) platform, please make some other similar hardware able to fullfill our needs. We need fast CPU's and lot of memory, which is all inexpensive, please support that. Thank you in advance :D

mstead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Regarding "MikroTik Success stories" e-mail message

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:41 pm

>At this moment I can really use just AH routerboards, all others are way slow.

I'm really curious to know what you are doing that can only just work on an AH type board??

Mine are lucky to go over 25% cpu

Malcolm

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:45 pm

nowhere did they state x86 was in danger, what brought that thought ?

acim
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:49 am

I'm really curious to know what you are doing that can only just work on an AH type board?
Slow boards can't transfer lot of traffic, let's say over 20mbps. Hotspot is quite heavy and so on. And I don't want my CPU to be close to maximum all the time. Just login on, let's say 333, lasts 3 seconds comparing to PC P3 800MHz where it lasts just a blink of eye. AH routerboards are something similar, very fast.

Than problems with power supply to strong miniPCI cards and so on, that's why we still need PC's. Maybe I didn't say right, I can maybe use some slower routerboards for some points, but fast routerboards are the real thing. Simply, I even don't want to wait for login.
nowhere did they state x86 was in danger, what brought that thought ?
I've heard some rumours, I hope wrong. And there was no success story with PC in this letter.

I would just like to hear from Mikrotik this is not true and they've never tought of it.
Last edited by acim on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:50 am

wait ... did you read the letter ??? it's all about PC

acim
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:07 am

I've read about RB-1000 and some slower RB, but nothing is wrong with your letter anyway. This is about supporting x86 platform. So, you are going to support it? If so, I am happy I've heard just rumours.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:16 am

I've read about RB-1000 and some slower RB, but nothing is wrong with your letter anyway. This is about supporting x86 platform. So, you are going to support it? If so, I am happy I've heard just rumours.
so you didn't read it at all.

let's paste it again:
We began running MikroTik as a core router sometime back in 2004 when our Cisco VXR DS3 router started to struggle. We purchased a couple LMC DS3 NICs from Eje at Wisp-Router and haven't looked back since.

It was better than three years ago when we bench tested more than 800Mbps between MikroTik routers using older Intel Pro fiber NICs and standard 32bit PCI slots. Over the years we have deployed numerous MikroTik routers with 24 or more 10/100 Interfaces, and several MikroTik routers with multiple Intel GigE Copper and Fiber Interfaces.

Today our MikroTik routers have evolved to include motherboards with
multiple PCIe x8 & x16 lane expansion slots, Quad core CPUs, 2Gig RAM,
redundant hot-swap power supplies and multiple six port SFP NICs. This
latest generation of MikroTik router we are deploying are extremely fast, flexible, cost effective and most importantly reliable.

The SFP NICs allow us to easily swap Interfaces from Copper GigE to SX
fiber, LX fiber, ZX Fiber...all hot-swap without requiring the router to be powered down or rebooted. The power supplies are diverse and redundant. We can lose either power feed or power module or any combination of the two and still keep the router powered up.

We are currently peering with three GigE upstream providers with a fourth GigE provider being turned up this week for unprecedented capacity and diversity for an ISP our size. We are already exploring and evaluating 10GigE Interfaces as our requirements continue to increase. We have no reason to believe the MikroTik platform will not continue to deliver the exceptional performance we have become accustomed to.

Every client gets a MikroTik CPE router that we own and manage regardless of the medium used (microwave, copper, fiber etc.) to deliver their data circuit. A MikroTik as a client CPE router gives us terrific flexibility and diagnostic abilities. MikroTik allows us to provide the detailed information required to identify and resolve problems at the client side quickly and efficiently. We have made countless "IT Guys" heroes in the eyes of their employers more times than I care to remember.

I firmly believe we would not be where we are today, offering the level of service we are able to provide without MikroTik at the core of our network.

acim
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:22 am

OK, I am happy I am wrong (I've heard wrong) and I can say this also:

I firmly believe we would not be where we are today, offering the level of service we are able to provide without MikroTik at the core of our network.

jcremin

Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:23 am

Just login on, let's say 333, lasts 3 seconds comparing to PC P3 800MHz where it lasts just a blink of eye.
I hope you're not relying on watching the cpu usage in winbox, that won't give you very accurate results. Turn on resource graphing and look at the cpu usage graph over time. It will be much more accurate.