Community discussions

MikroTik App

sky
Topic Author

Centralized hotspot server

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:49 pm

Hello!

I'd like to create separate centralized hotspot server and looking for any ideas/suggestions.

Two pictures are attached.

First one, "pre" is what i have right now.
There's some Mts, and each of them is running hotspot.
So, each MT has its own dhcp server and NATs all outgoing packets.
There is separate radius server for authentication

Second, "post" is what I'd like to create
There's one centralized hotspot server running on separate machine (think, it should be x86). All HTML files and other stuff are on it. There should be DHCP server for client with really big dhcp pool.
As usual, separate radius server for authentication.
And MT's, but they should be like hotspot retranslators or relying hotspot, don't know.

So, is it real, and how can i implement such setup? Does somebody have similar network?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
keep smiling

richinuk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Centralized hotspot server

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:13 am

Hi Sky,

There was a tiktube on this topic from Concourse Communications. See http://www.tiktube.com/?video=119. I think there was also some posts in the forum (or maybe wiki - sorry don't have a link - maybe a search after watching the above tiktube) that included copies of PPT's and documents used in the presentation. The general idea was to bridge all clients from the edge AP over EOIP tunnels back to the central hotspot server. Reduces exposure of edge device to security risks from clients, simplified configuration and redundancy, and makes management easier.

So, each edge AP has an EOIP tunnel back to the central site. The client interface on the edge AP is bridged with this EOIP tunnel, and all authentication, DHCP, captive portal, NAT etc happens at the central site.

Hope this helps.

Rich

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Centralized hotspot server

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:23 am

No answer to your question? How to write posts