Community discussions

MikroTik App

reinerotto
Topic Author

Advertisement during edit of yahoo.email hangs firefox

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi,
when I am within the edit of an email in yahoo.com, AND it is time to display an advertisement, Firefox simply hangs. Instead of starting the redirect (pop-ups are disabled with Firefox).
Something similar happens, when editing a message on this board AND avertisement is due.
Any idea ?

I am using Mikrotik 3.17 hotspot, Firefox, Vista

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Advertisement during edit of yahoo.email hangs firefox

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:50 pm

if Firefox hangs, the reason is Firefox. upgrade your browser =)
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

reinerotto
Topic Author

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:39 pm

if Firefox hangs, the reason is Firefox. upgrade your browser =)
NOPE. I have FF3.05
Do not point somewhere else, somehow it is a Mikrotik problem, may be, some timer interferes.
In detail:
I have FF and winbox running on same client.
When editing yahoo.mail, AND it is time for ad, no pop-up, because blocked. But winbox looses connection .
Then, when I try to send the email, FF hangs.
After using the back-button of FF, then I see the redirect-page, and the note of FF, that a pop-up has been blocked. Following the redirect, everythings works as usual.
But the side-effect is, I lost all my email which I edited, because of back-button.
Same just happened to me, when editing this very messages, because I had the ad-interval too short for reproduction of the effect (3minutes) :-)
So it is easy to reproduce for you as well, I guess..

Obviously "advertisement-timeout=immediately" (bad default !, according to documentation it should be 1minute; better to use "never" as default) disconnects winbox, and switches to "Walled Garden". Not a good idea. Does Mikrotik not track the state of the client, I mean, does it not know, that somehow client is in "input mode" ?

More testing I did; enabling pop-ups in Firefox shows similar effects, but at least now only the adrs of the receiver of the email disappears, not the complete contents of the email.

Looks like a real bug to me.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:51 am

what do you mean saying 'hangs'? I always thought that if program hangs, you cannot do any actions, including 'press back-button'
Does Mikrotik not track the state of the client, I mean, does it not know, that somehow client is in "input mode" ?
HTTP is stateless protocol, you cannot track anything
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:09 am

The advertisement page seems to cause some problems on more than just one site. It affects this site also, according to another recent post. Does anyone know what Mikrotik used for a variable name on the popup window that displays the ads? It seems to me that, to avoid any interference with pages clients are surfing, Mikrotik should name these other than "_popup" or "_blank" or "_login". Other sites use these as window/frame/variable names all the time.

ADD: May I suggest the popup window name "_hotspotad". That should get no duplicate names anywhere.

reinerotto
Topic Author

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:35 pm

what do you mean saying 'hangs'? I always thought that if program hangs, you cannot do any actions, including 'press back-button'
Does Mikrotik not track the state of the client, I mean, does it not know, that somehow client is in "input mode" ?
HTTP is stateless protocol, you cannot track anything
1) FF hangs:
After pressing "send" button (sending email in yahoo.mail) simply nothing happens. I see the "spinning arrow" on the screen for ever. "Back-button", however, works. But using it, my edited text will be gone ! When editing on this BB, pressing "submit", and the advertisement was due before, then similar bad effects, as I said already. Why don't you just try to reproduce ?
OK, then I better should say: FF is looping. Sorry, for bad wording. Does not explain/solve the obvious problem, though.

2)HTTP is stateless protocol.
Right; but you might interpret and track the content of the HTML.
I suspeict, that somehow Javascript/Input creates a problem for "advertising".

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:23 am

It must be a computer problem. I don't see how hotspot can crash a browser. Currently you are the only one with the issue anyway. Try other computers and browsers
No answer to your question? How to write posts

reinerotto
Topic Author

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:13 pm

It must be a computer problem. I don't see how hotspot can crash a browser. Currently you are the only one with the issue anyway. Try other computers and browsers
First of all: It is the typical attitude of the (below) average programmer to use "hardware problem" or similar to cover bugs. Or to blame the user.
Second: There is always the first user reporting a bug. It should be in the best interest of your company, to fix bugs ASAP, or, in other words, not to wait for a crowd of users to complain about the same problem. Take preventive action.
Third: You should consider complaints of users/customers seriously. Which means, not to ask the user to proof, that there is a bug in your product. But to carefilly check from your side, whether the complaint might be justified or not.
Fourth: I filed a report regarding problems to access your web site using IE just recently. You replied, there is none, but as other users also confirmed my report, you were obviously wrong.
May be, this time you are wrong, too ?

Back to the facts:
Where did I say "crash browser" ?
I said, it "hangs": FF simply shows me the spinning arrow, waits, waits, waits, nothing happens. Unless I press the "back-button". And my input is lost.
In only does this in certain circumstances. And I think, I described them quite precisely.
Or what is unclear for you to try reproduce it, which does not seem so difficult ?

More facts:
IE simply clears all my input in that scenario, but does not hang.
Chrome does the same.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:11 am

All I'm saying – all your recent problems have something to do with browsers ...

P.S.: this is a community forum. If you need MikroTik support, please email them

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:25 am

Excuse me for asking, but is there anything about your ad page that would cause trouble? Have you tried a advertisement "test page" with only simple html? Does that cause the same "browser stall"?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:32 am

good question. OP - please show us this ad page, so we can test in our own browsers.

reinerotto
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 am

good question. OP - please show us this ad page, so we can test in our own browsers.
OK, attached you find all files I am using. The standard login.html I modified, so I also send this one to you.
I configured a reschedule interval of 3min. for the ads, tried both an advertisement-timeout of "never" and "immediately". Similar bad effects in both cases.
I also attach the last recent state of an "/export ", to have all info about my test environment.
Easy scenario for recration of situation:
- Start your Mikrotik, and after login, in browser(Firefox, IE) start to create a new mail using yahoo.com's mail system. And stay in input mode, until 3 minutes expired.
Then press "Send Mail" button to send the mail.
OR: Instead of using yahoo, edit a new message on this board, and stay in input, until 3 min. expired. And then do a "submit".
I just noticed: In my environment I enabled popups in Firefox, but disabled them in IE and Chrome. So that might be the reason of different behaviour.

Still fighting to upload my files. Because they contain graphics, it exceeds the limit of 1MB :-(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by reinerotto on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:45 am

this explains everything

if you don't click on the popup, the internet will not work. this is how the ad popups work in the hotspot. if you disable the popups - your network will not work.

reinerotto
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:03 am

this explains everything

if you don't click on the popup, the internet will not work. this is how the ad popups work in the hotspot. if you disable the popups - your network will not work.
Nothing new to me.

NO ! It does not explain everything.
You do not understand the special scenario/problem. Or you simply did not read my messages until the end, taking wrong conclusions too fast.

I said already several times:
Usually, everything works. During standard browsing, which means, reading some stuff from the web with the browser. Ads show up, either because of pop-up or following the link. NO PROBLEM AT ALL !
BUT: In case I am inputting something when ad is about to be presented, problems show up. For instance, during edit of a mail in yahoo.mail
DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE ?
So an ad is due to be presented, but is does not happen. Not in any way. Whether pop-ups enabled or not. Until I leave "input mode", for instance by pressing "Send" button to send the edited mail.
I also said, that I loose my input, whether pop-ups enabled, or not.
Similar happens when editing a new message, like this one, on this BB, and an ad is about to be presented.

Do you understand the special scenario ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:26 am

are those all files you have in the hotspot directory, or you just ommited them for size reasons?

reinerotto
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:56 pm

are those all files you have in the hotspot directory, or you just ommited them for size reasons?
Of course, I only sent you the non-standard files, either completely new, or modified. login.html is the only one of this kind.
Originally I tried to upload /hotspot completely.
Because of the 1MB limitation in upload of files for this BB, it would be too much hassle to upload all the rest in small chunks.

Again, please, answer my question:
Do you understand the special scenario now ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:07 pm

yes. it's not really special, but we will try to repeat it anyway

(open yahoo mail compose form, wait 3 minutes for advertisement)

reinerotto
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:13 pm

Excuse me for asking, but is there anything about your ad page that would cause trouble? Have you tried a advertisement "test page" with only simple html? Does that cause the same "browser stall"?
Reasonable suggestion, so I just did it.
(Thanx, you were more responsive than Mikrotik until now.)
No difference, tried FF and Chrome, both were stalled.
Thanx for the correct term, too, still learning English :-)
So no need to test IE as well.

Best guess from an old assembler/real time wizzard: JS of yahoo.mail is active in input mode; timer for JS to display ad runs out, and this second JS then interferes with the first one.

reinerotto
Topic Author

Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:43 am

yes. it's not really special, but we will try to repeat it anyway

(open yahoo mail compose form, wait 3 minutes for advertisement)
Hi, any success in this one ?
It would be great you at least could confirm the problem. Recreation is a 10 min job, I guess.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:04 pm

OK, I am set up. I am in the response page waiting for the ad. This part is typed.

The ad just popped up, and I will send this. If you see this, then mine worked. I am testing with IE,but while I do this, funny things are happening with the focus. It causes some editing challenges.

ADD: Have you tried closing the status page after you login? The ads still pop up when you navigate. If it is the JavaScript routines conflicting, that should stop it. I will wait for the ad to post this change.

After watching for a while, it appears another window (maybe JavaScript timer in status window) is requesting the focus, then trying to push it back when finished. I know from experience that form text input fields do not handle this well.

ADD2: If you want to experiment, download the status.html doc from your box and remark out the two commands in the function openAdvert(). Then upload it again and try it. Save an original copy tho, just in case...

Here is the JavaScript code in question:
$(if advert-pending == 'yes')
    var popup = '';
    function focusAdvert() {
	if (window.focus) popup.focus();
    }
    function openAdvert() {
	popup = open('$(link-advert)', 'hotspot_advert', '');
	setTimeout("focusAdvert()", 1000);
    }
$(endif)
If that is ok, try adding the first command back in the script. Leave the focus-stealing "setTimeout" part remarked out. :wink:

reinerotto
Topic Author

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:19 pm

OK, I am set up. I am in the response page waiting for the ad. This part is typed.

The ad just popped up, and I will send this. If you see this, then mine worked. I am testing with IE,but while I do this, funny things are happening with the focus. It causes some editing challenges.

ADD: Have you tried closing the status page after you login? The ads still pop up when you navigate. If it is the JavaScript routines conflicting, that should stop it. I will wait for the ad to post this change.

After watching for a while, it appears another window (maybe JavaScript timer in status window) is requesting the focus, then trying to push it back when finished. I know from experience that form text input fields do not handle this well.

ADD2: If you want to experiment, download the status.html doc from your box and remark out the two commands in the function openAdvert(). Then upload it again and try it. Save an original copy tho, just in case...

Here is the JavaScript code in question:
    var popup = '';
    function focusAdvert() {
    }
    function openAdvert() {
    }
$(endif)
If that is ok, try adding the first command back in the script. Leave the focus-stealing "setTimeout" part remarked out. :wink:
Hi,
my setup was a bit different:
- pop-ups disabled in FF
- disabled status-window for hotspot
using <input type="hidden" name="popup" value="false" />.
So I do not see any status-window after login.
May be, you try that one as well.

I will experiment with your set-up (pop-ups enabled, status-window enabled).

Looks like we are doing beta-testing for Mikrotik ....

I just gave my actual setup for a casual user to test the hotspot.
Of course, the first he wanted to do with his notebook after login was to check his email on google and to respond ....
Found the problem we are discussing here immediately, without any hint from me.
Confirms my impression, that "Advertising" in hotspot module NOT ready for production usage.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Yes, sir, we are helping debug a small routine in an otherwise great OS. I do not have a problem with that if you don't.

In the JavaScript code, you might want to try this coding. I have been reading up on the popups blocked, and that should cause the value "popup" to be returned null. If that is true, then it may be the fact that the JavaScript routine there does not check for null. Try this coding:
    var popup = '';
    function focusAdvert() {
    }

function openAdvert() {
       if (popup) {
       }
    }
$(endif)

reinerotto
Topic Author

Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Yes, sir, we are helping debug a small routine in an otherwise great OS. I do not have a problem with that if you don't.
[/code]
Sorry, your suggestion does not help.
I also tried your first set-up (pop-ups enabled in browser, pop-up window for hotspot status window allowed). Also with "strange effects", to say it very politely.
I do not know Javascript, so for me this "experimental programming" does not make real sense.

I am looking at this "Otherwise great OS" because I just want to use this advertisement function in my hotspot; all the rest, which I need, I could also get from any LINUX-distribution, even free of charge.

Actually, I am just evaluating, using the evaluation system. Now I am hesitating to buy, because I know, that besides this serious problem there are still one or two other ones:
- problems using FTP from a client
- PPPoE never starts under certain conditions. Unless rebooting.
May be, you could try to verify this one as well:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28732

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:48 am

Did the ad popups work (display the ad) with the popups enabled in your browser settings without hanging?

If you are uncomfortable changing the code in the JavaScript, that is ok. Not everyone is comfortable "hacking" code to get the required results.

There is going to be challenges with form text fields any time there is a loss of focus. The caret (editing cursor in the text box) never ends back where it was when the form page gets the focus back, causing the user to start entering text at the start of the sentence suddenly, and the like. But that is not just this OS. That is the way the focus works with text fields in any OS, including Windoze.

I don't know about the PPPoE challenge. I don't use it. Wireless and hotspots are my use. I use cablemodem connections to the internet.

As far as I am aware, the FTP service is for uploading/downloading files for the OS. I am not sure it was meant as an FTP server, nor does the OS have a web server. Just the hotspot server.

Maybe I just use the things that work well.

reinerotto
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:19 am

Did the ad popups work (display the ad) with the popups enabled in your browser settings without hanging?
In case, I was NOT in input-mode (editing an email in yahoo.mail): YES.
In case, I was in input-mode, effects were different: Either hanging OR after display of ad my edited text was erased AND not sent.
If you are uncomfortable changing the code in the JavaScript, that is ok. Not everyone is comfortable "hacking" code to get the required results.
I would be pleased to find a solution myself; however, the fact that there is no official statement from Mikrotik until now, not even aknowledging that there is a serious bug, either means, they are simply ignoring this problem OR the fix is not so easy.
There is going to be challenges with form text fields any time there is a loss of focus. The caret (editing cursor in the text box) never ends back where it was when the form page gets the focus back, causing the user to start entering text at the start of the sentence suddenly, and the like. But that is not just this OS. That is the way the focus works with text fields in any OS, including Windoze.
Then there should be a "fool proof solution". It is not so important to have an accurate ad-display-interval. Which means, it should be safer simply to start the pop-up ONLY when the browser is fetching a page for display, i.g. on a HTTP-GET AND the ad is due to be displayed. On top of that, there should be a minimal display time (configurable), during which this ad-popup is displayed, or not can be closed :-)
I tried already to develop a solution myself, using the redirector feature of squid. But I gave up because of lack of knowledge of JS.
As far as I am aware, the FTP service is for uploading/downloading files for the OS. I am not sure it was meant as an FTP server, nor does the OS have a web server. Just the hotspot server.
Sorry, I was not clear, obviously. I am having problems to do a FTP-download from the internet to my hotspot-client, simply passing-thru the Mikrotik. HTTp-download works, of course. But sometimes it is not possible to recognize on first view, whether the download of a file will be done using HTTP or FTP, in the end. And in case of FTP, it will be stuck.
Can you confirm this one ?

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:50 am

I was hoping that the JavaScript changes would make the JavaScript update stop, and allow your browser to fetch the ads when navigating only, like what happens when you close the status window. The ads stop until you navigate from one page to another. I will try that later.

I do not believe this is a MT bug. I believe this is a web browser/JavaScript bug. This is not the first time I have had this problem. I write html code using PHP and JavaScript a lot. Usually, what happens when the ad page loads, it gets the focus. Then, when the focus returns to the text entry field on your email page or any other text field , it puts the caret at the beginning of the text input. I have not encountered an instance where it cleared the text tho. After examining the JavaScript code, the MT code would not cause the text field to clear on its own. I can find no code on the status page that affects a "parent window".

What problem are you having with the FTP? How are you trying to use it?

EDIT: Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I just noticed something about the ad page. It will popup even if it is not timed out on the JavaScript routine in the status page. If you navigate (or submit a form) and the ad page is due, it pops up an ad. Does the text loss occur when you are typing? Or when you submit the form?

reinerotto
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:03 pm

What problem are you having with the FTP? How are you trying to use it?
I am using most of the time FF, and when trying to download a few files from the web to my client (using FTP) via the hotspot, just for another test, it was stuck in the display of part of a page.
For instance, download of
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp5.gwdg.de ... 8.i586.rpm

did not work for me using FF. However, now when trying to use Chrome or MSIE, it works.
So some speciality of FF + hotspot :-(
EDIT: Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I just noticed something about the ad page. It will popup even if it is not timed out on the JavaScript routine in the status page. If you navigate (or submit a form) and the ad page is due, it pops up an ad. Does the text loss occur when you are typing? Or when you submit the form?
Text loss occurs when I submit the form. Because that is the instant of time, the pop-up window containing the ad shows up.
Again, my scenario (MSIE, Chrome, FF; does not matter which one; pop-ups enabled for browser; no status window for Mikrotik-hotspot)
Using any browser on my client (notebook with Vista) connected to hotspot, after login into hotspot, I log into my http://www.yahoo.com - mail account.
I start to type in / create a new mail.
I stay in this state (input mode into form), until ad is pending (pop-up of ad does not come automatically !)
Then I press the "Send" button (equivalent to "Submit", I guess)
pop-up window shows up immediately, BUT all input is lost (or, in your words: Form content is lost).
AND: Mail is NOT sent. In fact, I see an empty email-form, ready to re-type all my input again.

Similar happens, when pop-ups disabled in browser. Then the redirect page is activated, and after going to the ad page manually, form content is lost as well.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:01 pm

I am looking in the wrong place then. Nothing in the JavaScript code has anything to do with that. But I noticed it did the same with my user/password when I tried to respond through my hotspot with the ads still running. Like I had never entered one. The second time worked, but it was not time for the ad yet.

That code is somewhere in the hotspot server.

Let me dwell on the rest...

reinerotto
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:43 am

Finally:
I got some response from Mikrotik support on this very problem. In short words, I should better not use this "advertisement function".
Which implies, that the problem is acknowledged, and confirmed, but there is no statement, that it will be fixed.
So "hotspot advertisement" is NOT USABLE IN A PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT with (paying) clients for your hotspot.
Unless you tell them, please, do not use hotmail, google.mail, yahoo.mail etc., because you might loose all your edited text.

It would be a good idea, to document this "special feature" !

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:45 am

we are still looking at your issue, don't treat this as the last response. we will see if we can improve it, because:
the advertisment redirect only happens when you click a link, it doesn't happen when you just type a yahoo mail. After the Ad is shown, it will open up the page that was just closed (ie. your mailbox)

reinerotto
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:57 am

we are still looking at your issue, don't treat this as the last response. we will see if we can improve it, because:
the advertisment redirect only happens when you click a link, it doesn't happen when you just type a yahoo mail. After the Ad is shown, it will open up the page that was just closed (ie. your mailbox)
OK. But once more:
IF (pop-ups blocked in FireFox .AND. advertisement_pending .AND. submit_edited_mail) THEN
Firefox hangs
ENDIF
IF (pop-ups NOT blocked in FireFox .AND. advertisement_pending .AND. submit_edited_mail) THEN
all edited input is lost, input form of mail is cleared
ENDIF

So indepenedent upon "pop-ups blocked in browser", there are bad effects. However, these bad effects are different.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:00 pm

we will fix it so that it doesn't youch "post" actions ( you submitting the message form ), but I have no idea why your Firefox hangs. it's not normal - for us here it displays a message "click here if you didn't see popup" or something like that

reinerotto
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:58 pm

we will fix it so that it doesn't youch "post" actions ( you submitting the message form )
Great. Took quite some time for me to convince you :-) Should be worth a license for all my beta-testing time :-) Which saved you some own home-work as well :-)
but I have no idea why your Firefox hangs. it's not normal - for us here it displays a message "click here if you didn't see popup" or something like that
OK, some more info on this one:
Obviously, it depends upon the setting of "Advertising Timeout" Value.
For some strange reason, during first tests I used "Advertising Timeout=Immediately".
And then FF hangs in the discussed (editig, input) situation. Which now makes some sense to me, because comms is switched to "Walled Garden", in case ad is not presented immediately because of editing email. So FF should hang, independently upon setting of pop-ups enabled/disabled in browser!
So play around with "Advertising Timeout", please, to confirm this problem, too.
I always have the characteristics to put my finger in open wounds, when doing software testing, sorry :-)

It might be a good idea, to pop-up a warning to the user, at least, in case he wants to configure "Advertising Timeout=Immediately". And to print some warning in the docs.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 am

MikroTik started to work on this problem when you sent email to support, and that was ... yesterday

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:26 pm

but it's obvious that you can't use "immediately" - what did you expect then? This setting means that if popup can't be displayed, then IMMEDIATELY you will be disconnected from the internet (entirely).

reinerotto
Topic Author

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:14 pm

but it's obvious that you can't use "immediately" - what did you expect then? This setting means that if popup can't be displayed, then IMMEDIATELY you will be disconnected from the internet (entirely).
Yes, you are right. But how much time of learning, and understanding of the complicated implications, does it need for a "Standard User" to recognize these consequences ?
Even you could not imagine a situation, that FF might hang. Unless now, that we know, how it might happen.
I DO NOT CONSIDER IT A BUG.
I only want to say, in this respect some VERY SERIOUS WARNING should be given to a "Standard User" what might be the consequences. I only suggest a courtesy to the user, because it is always dangerous, in case "Advertising Timeout" is NOT set to "Never".
I even go so far, to suggest to remove this parameter completely, because sooner or later the ad will be presented anyway. Any delay in display might be less harmful compared to clients, from time to time complaining about FF hanging.

Decision is up to you, but I think, at least this type of discussion is worth to be done on a users-forum. Of course, it would be even better to have other users to contribute to this special question.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:24 pm

There are many dangerous settings that shouldn't be touched without reading the manual, or understanding their principles.

Conclusion: we will make sure POST is not considered a click/action, and we will make sure default setting is not "immediately" (it's not)

reinerotto
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:06 pm

..... and we will make sure default setting is not "immediately" (it's not)
3.19 looks much better. But default "Immediately" still has to be changed to make it work !!!!!!!!!!!

You guys have to do something on your quality control.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:14 pm

3.19 looks much better. But default "Immediately" still has to be changed to make it work !!!!!!!!!!!

apparently you use Winbox, and this is a winbox bug. In console the default is always 1m

reinerotto
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:23 pm

apparently you use Winbox, and this is a winbox bug. In console the default is always 1m
Yes, I am using winbox.
But now I am curious: Why can there be 2 different defaults, depending upon the usage of winbox or console ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:28 pm

once you open winbox, it changes the RouterOS default to something that was preset in Winbox. This is not normal, and it doesn't happen anywhere else.

reinerotto
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:41 pm

once you open winbox, it changes the RouterOS default to something that was preset in Winbox. This is not normal, and it doesn't happen anywhere else.
OK, then I simply had bad luck. I assume, it will be fixed in new version of winbox.
But, at least for me the default of 1minute in console mode is still FAR TOO dangerous.
Because of the effect we are talking about here, most likely, a user who is editing a mail etc. will need more than one minute for this task. And will (still) loose his input then, in case an ad was due to be displayed.
A value of 10min would be quite safe, or, even better, just change default to "Never".
Then your old argument is REALLY valid, that there are a few dangerous settings in ROS, better not to be modified from their defaults :-)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:45 pm

even 60 minutes won't change anything. what if he starts writing his mail, and then forgets about it for another 55 minutes? you should use a different approach to advertising, or educate your users about possible problems.

reinerotto
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:18 pm

even 60 minutes won't change anything. what if he starts writing his mail, and then forgets about it for another 55 minutes? you should use a different approach to advertising, or educate your users about possible problems.
Will be no problem, in case default is "Never".
At least, I know, how it works now without any problems for the enduser.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:24 am

what do you gain from "never"? might as well just turn off advertisements :)

reinerotto
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:09 am

what do you gain from "never"? might as well just turn off advertisements :)
Again, I have the impression, you do not understand, what we are talking about.
And you still do not understand, what is the purpose/consequence of this paraneter "Advertisement Timeout".
So: "Never" means, that the advertisement will simply remain "pending", until displayed, without cutting the connection and dropping back to walled garden after some time.
So in our special scenario, it means, independent, whether the user will stay 2m in input mode, or editing a large email durin 2h, after finishing, the ad finally will be displayed.
Without loosing any input, as it would be the case using the default of 1m, on which you insist, obviously.
Actually, I can not see, which negative consequence "Never" might have.
Insisting on this timeout, you obviously know, what is the users or suppliers benefit, or which might be the reason, to cut the connection after 1m, despite loosing input of the innocent hotspot user, who might even have paid for his service ?
So, please let me know.