Community discussions

MikroTik App

DjStraw
Topic Author

Help: DHCP Server - Strange Message

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Friends! First Happy New Year and may God bless them.
The reason is that there will be this post because today I noticed something curious that had never before seen, curiously login RouterOS system log and there I met with this message: "DHCP Server: unknown BOOTP client 00:AB:00:00:00:00" and the truth because I have no idea what that means.

What is made of hand?
Thank you

justme
just joined

Re: Help: DHCP Server - Strange Message

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:56 pm

first a bit of background info:-

BOOTP is network protocol (using UDP) used by a network client to obtain its IP address automatically. BOOTP server assigns a IP address to every client from a pre-defined pool of addresses. Typically BOOTP enables diskless workstations to get an IP address prior to loading some operating system..

The message: "..unknown BOOTP client xx:xx:xx ..." refers to the MAC address of an unknown client that made a request to the DHCP server. It is probably one of your pppoe or other bridged interface (or another connected MT device) that made the request.

The fact that the MAC address is not that of a known NIC card, leads me to further believe it si coming from your own device.

If you continue to get this error in your logs, have a look at your interfaces to see if you cant find that MAC address.

DjStraw
Topic Author

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:37 am

Thank you very much, excellent information.
I tell you to restart my AP and Client Bridge, besides my RouterOS, and has not returned to receive the message.

Thank you

EngineerAustin
just joined

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Did you ever figure out why your device was giving you this error in the log? I'm experiencing the same:

"memory dhcp,info DHCP server: unknown BOOTP client 00:AB:00:00:00:00"

Log entry and I'm not sure why?

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Lynn

loveman

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:11 am

I have the same message in log
Any one know what meaning

saborit
just joined

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:33 am

Good afternoon and blessings.

Doing some research I came across this thread on this topic.

It also happened to me in a mikrotik where I have a hostpot installed. What happens is that I block the mac of a cell phone, but this person found a way to change his mac with an app and when the person changes mac this type of log is registered in the mikrotik.

I would like to find a solution for when mikrotik detects the change of mac, the ip assigned to the new mac can be blocked.

Sorry for the way I write, I don't know how to read or write in English, so I used a translator to be able to leave this message and understand the thread.
Thank you