Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

QpoX
Topic Author

2009 and Mikrotik

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:38 pm

What i want in 2009 from Mikrotik:

RouterBoard:
1-2 USB port's (makes way for serial ports, modems, storage and a lot of other goodness).
A simple way of using external leds for power, cpu and trafic (just a little pin connector, parallel with the existing leds).
Maybe some I/O ports (GPIO) for temperature use and controlling stuff and using it with the watchdog in ROS. (an ex. use is that it can see if the power is down (running on a UPS) then if the power is not back in a couple of minutes it will start a generator and switch the power from main to generator power or maybe use it as a burglar alarm... it can be used for alot of things).
A battery or capacitor for the clock.
And maybe a way to connect to the BIOS from the network (just an idear for tower installations).

RouterOS:
More IPv6 (DHCP client and server, AUICCU, torch)
Be able to PXE boot via ROS with a TFTP server.
And mounting SMB/NFS partitions for extra storage...

And what do others want? :)
Last edited by QpoX on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

dot-bot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: 2009 and Mikrotik

Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:39 pm

A way to automatically dynamically set the limit-at and max-limit, to detect noise in the links (lowered throughput) to keep shaping/queueing/priority control in all situations, including Wi-Fi, ADSL, congested links with unknown bandwidth and unknown drop probability. Compensating for ATM overhead (example: ADSL). More documents explaining better when packets are dropped and why, in the MikroTik queues. Better shaping techniques...

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:00 pm

RouterBoard:
Yes, we need USB ports.
Better ESD protection on ether1 of all RouterBoards.

RouterOS:
Error statistics on ethernet ports. It's not that hard to do with Linux. Look at the output of ifconfig.
Improve the functionality of Webbox. Allow the custom branding tool to replace ALL Mikrotik brand references. This is important if you want to improve sales to the OEM markets.

Other MT product
R2H. The R5H is a great start but we need a comparable card for 2.4GHz. We sell more XR2 cards than XR5 cards in the USA.
Something to compete with Ubiquiti ns2 and ns5.

Tom
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.roc-noc.com
Tom, CCNA, ISP, USA Mikrotik Distributor
888-762-5662
-----------------------------------------------

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:38 am

I agree with the above posters but personally I am not so concerned about the TFTP or IPV6 functionality.

In addition I would like to see Mikrotik's IPSEC implementation improved and brought to the same level of functionality as Cisco, Juniper and Fortinet's. In particular I would like to see Mikrotik support "Route Based" tunnels, this is when an IPSEC tunnel is terminated as a virtual interface and routes can then be used to simply send traffic via this interface.
This makes it easier for newbies to understand IPSEC, allows cleaner routing, allows easy use of OSPF over IPSEC links and allows much easier cross-vendor VPN's.
I have described this before on these forums, and have had a number of other people on this forum also support the changes.
There are a number of other changes to IPSEC I would like to see around the naming conventions Mikrotik has used, but these are not critical to the level of functionality they just improve the user experience.
http://thebrotherswisp.com/ | Mikrotik MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE | Fortinet FTCNA, FCNSP, FCT | Extreme Networks ENA

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:48 pm

A way to automatically dynamically set the limit-at and max-limit, to detect noise in the links (lowered throughput) to keep shaping/queueing/priority control in all situations, including Wi-Fi, ADSL, congested links with unknown bandwidth and unknown drop probability. Compensating for ATM overhead (example: ADSL). More documents explaining better when packets are dropped and why, in the MikroTik queues. Better shaping techniques...
Percent base shaping may solve this problem . for example we have a 10Mbps link which is 100%. then we limit something to 10% of it which is 1Mbps . when 10Mbps goes 8Mbps then 10% is 800Kbps .

dot-bot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Percent base shaping may solve this problem . for example we have a 10Mbps link which is 100%. then we limit something to 10% of it which is 1Mbps . when 10Mbps goes 8Mbps then 10% is 800Kbps .
Excellent idea. The max-limit can simply be taken from an average value calculated during transfer, collecting statistical information, an automatic algorithm can know when and how fast to lower the max-limit to achieve priority control.

Is there any equipment that does this already?

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:56 pm

My additions:

- 802.11n support (just in v4-beta for the time being)
- USB ports on routerboards (I agree completely!)
- a mikrotik designed outdoor case for routerboards (because trying to mount a routerboard in any old case really does suck.
- a better way of backing up router configs (no way to re-assign config sections from one wireless/eth card to a new one if one dies)
- data, speed, time & session time based billing options in user-manager for those countries where we have to pay for data and speed.
- one or more wiki articles (by mikrotik staff) explaining how QoS works & how to implement it so we don't have people constantly complaining they can't use it/it doesn't work.
- https support for the 'fetch' command
- better write-to-file support for developers (beyond 4000~ chars)

Happy new year to all!

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:16 pm

I would like a high port density or cPCIe backplane platform. Support for current generation ds3 and t1 cards and oc cards, like those from imagestream.com,but they are pci not cPCIe :( .

I want to run MT as a routeswitch, on every port in the DC!
Network Consultant in Wichita, KS

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:54 pm

I would like to see channel names together with frequencies in drop down box.

See attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:10 am

channel names? like what?
No answer to your question? How to write posts

QpoX
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:40 am

channel names? like what?
i think that he means channel numbers...
2412 (1)
2417 (2)
2422 (3)
and so on...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:44 am

I hope you know that there are a lot more frequencies there, than standard channels (1-11 or 1-14). Do you propose we name only the channels that Do exist in the official channel lists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels)?

reinerotto

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 am

A really stable and reliable actual version of RouterOS, without any new features.
Of course, statistically my short term expirience might not be so significant, but when I try to extrapolate the small area of functions I checked in detail (hotspot), and the two problems I detected already, one of which I consider serious, effectively making the production use of hotspot-advertising impossible, makes me think, how many unfixed (or undiscovered) problems are in other modules, still ?
And I have the impression, that it needs a really expirienced user, better to say network specialict or systems admin, at least, to proof to Mikrotik, that there is a bug.
This is simply my own expirience, because first of all getting responses like "I can not see how this is possible", "upgrade your browser", "change the network card", "you are just the first one reporting this probelm" etc. before a problem is seriously evaluated.
Mikrotik should be happy to have a first-time report, to take immediate action before other users are violated by the same bug, too !
I can accept the argument, there might be a lot of wrong bug reports. BUT:
Then simply ask for detailed info. Or read the problem description carefully, at least.
And, as a preventive action, quite a lot of "effects" reported here in the forum MIGHT be real bugs. So it could be the duty of one of the moderators, to evaluate in more detail, just before few other people report the same problem.

My very own private opinion as an old and expirienced SW-engineer from Germany is, that nowadays SW is like a brand new Mercedes-Benz: A lot of gimmicks, many more than in the old models. But in the past, the Mercedes cars simply ran and ran and ran and ran and ... without stopping :-)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:12 pm

My very own private opinion as an old and expirienced SW-engineer from Germany is, that nowadays SW is like a brand new Mercedes-Benz: A lot of gimmicks, many more than in the old models. But in the past, the Mercedes cars simply ran and ran and ran and ran and ... without stopping :-)

simply - brakes where broken, so none could stop

if seriously - many bugs that are reported are actually tested.

Also, if user writes to support he/she usually gives more information about the problem at hand and can provide supout.rif files, so we can see important parts of configuration and stuff, what happened on the router.

And there are a lot of - this feature does not work reports, but at the end - it is not configured properly, it works as designed, but user misunderstood the information etc.

And normis have written countless time - prepare detailed description about your problem and contact support at mirkotik.com

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

I hope you know that there are a lot more frequencies there, than standard channels (1-11 or 1-14). Do you propose we name only the channels that Do exist in the official channel lists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels)?
Yes, that is what I meant.

There are far to more frequencies in a list than actual channels, and we usually use channel fequencies only, but if one mistakenly chooses frequency that does not match channel he easily can end up with no connection, as some wireless cards refuse to connect if not on proper frequency.

After all, on wifi it is common to talk about channels, not frequencies. So, if you just put channel numbers in parentheses as QpoX suggested, I would be happy, and I am sure, lot of other users will be too.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:02 pm

MPLS Documentation for Dummies? :lol:

I'm no new comer to networking, but damn!!!! It's not the easiest thing to understand, with reason I suppose ;)
Regards,
Chris

roadrunner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:05 pm

I have a few suggestions that haven't been listed yet.

RouterOS requests:
  • Finish v3 documentation before v4 is out of beta.
    DHCP6 for IPv6? Might not be needed RouterOS 3.18 just added recursive DNS server option to IPv6 auto-config.
    IPv6 over PPP/PPPoE.
    OSPFv3 (for IPv6) viewable/configurable through winbox.
    A method (linux top/ps?) to view what is causing the router to run at 100% CPU, so you can take corrective action.
    I have tried to create a supout file on a maxed out router, but it sometimes takes 10-15 minutes for it to finish. I normally just reboot it.
RouterOS wishlist:
  • Ability to change text of userman pages. I want my company name instead of Mikrotik. Perhaps template files similar to Dude Language files would be a solution.
    DNS names instead of IP addresses in NTP Client, web-proxy parent proxy, email server, etc. I want to be-able to change IP's for the domain name and have all routers use the new IP address.
Routerboard wishlist:
  • more gigabit options other than rb600 & rb1000.
    PCI-Express based multi-port gigabit cards.
    mini-pci-express slots on routerboard (rb800?)
    MIMO cards
    A mips-be (or faster) cpu with 6 -12 100Mbit ports + 1 gigabit uplink port.
Some of these might get announced at Prague, and we will see the products by summer.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:06 am

DHCP6 for IPv6? Might not be needed RouterOS 3.18 just added recursive DNS server option to IPv6 auto-config.
DHCPv6 and RA are different things. RA is stateless configuration and should be more than sufficient. However it would have been nice to have the added rdns functionality. Instead RA isn't working at all anymore in 3.18.

This brings me to the top of my wishlist: Lads, you need to do better testing of releases. If a release is 3.XX it should be thoroughly tested and nearly bug free. Each and every release since 3.0 has been broken in one, the other or the third way. 3.X has never been as mature as 2.9 and I've used Mikrotik since 2.8. If you need to push a release out there, that has one or two issues or lack of testing, clearly mark it as RC releases. The community will be happy to test it for you and tell you what's broken. RC releases between the main releases is fine. But do not mix alpha/beta and production within the same release naming. That is how it "feels" currently.
IPv6 over PPP/PPPoE.
Absolutely. PPP/PPPoE with IPv6 (IP6CP negociation and DHCPv6).

Also, please add here a way using PPPoE relaying, similar to DSL bitstream services, so that connections can be sold to resellers with their own backhaul. This would have higher priority than IP6CP/DHCPv6, because if implemented the terminating PPP server could take care of this instead.
OSPFv3 (for IPv6) viewable/configurable through winbox.
Nice to have, but would be appreciated.

/M
Communication is the beginning of understanding
-- AT&T

reinerotto

Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:44 pm

Make it easier to buy from you !

I just wanted to buy my first ROS license. Not a problem, I thought, they accept credit cards.
But: This is the fist time I have been confronted with this strange procedure regarding the authorization code. Actually, I am not in my home country, so I have real difficulties to call back to my credit card company for this procedure to complete.
Solution: None. Actually I can not buy.

It would be great, you would add PayPal for instance, as a payment option. I would be happy now to pay a few cents on top, to use their simple service and complete a fast purchase from you.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:59 am

where are you from? isn't that enough? http://www.mikrotik.com/howtobuy.html
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

leoktv
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:33 am

We are accepting paypal peyment. add a comment in the order and we send you the mail address.
Office: +46 325 660 650

reinerotto

Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:00 am

where are you from? isn't that enough? http://www.mikrotik.com/howtobuy.html
There is something like "User Friendliness". Which is a forgotton word in some parts of the SW-developing community. Especially in the part of the community envolved in "Open Source" / LINUX.
For some serious reasons, one of the founders of SAP sponsors an education department at one of the German universities, which especially takes care of this aspect of SW development :-)

To answer your question: I am German, actually in UA to take care of one of my remote offices.
Cause I need a ROS license, I thought, o well, the easiest is to go to their web site, to buy one. They even have an online-shop, so credit card payment will be easy, everything is a piece of cake.
Sounds reasonable, or not ?
Now obviously I have to look for some other solution.
Sure, I have VoIP available, I could try to do some phone calls back to Germany to the credit card company. But I am a lazy guy.

A more sales oriented approach would not harm, right ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:24 am

You should buy from distributors, link was posted above somewhere. Distributors buy from MikroTik directly.

You -> Distributor -> Manufacturer (MikroTik)

w0lt

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:13 pm

How about a version of Winbox that remembers all the window arrangements that you have made even after a reboot!
Also a separate configure menu for each window allowing for easier selects of visible columns.
MTCNA - 2011

" The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten "

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:23 pm

it already does remember all these things. just make sure you have checked "load previous session" when logging in, and that you properly exit winbox

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:31 pm

hmmm... even after reboot of router?.. afair, my WinBox lost all open windows...

w0lt

Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:28 am

Uh, Ditto..... :?
MTCNA - 2011

" The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten "

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:37 am

T1 and T3 cards would be nice... :shock:

I have a couple in mind... :D

I have two MFGs waiting and willing...

One PCI / Express and one USB...

Did you not say USB everywhare ??? :?

Routerboards terminating multiple Ts.... Redundant , Bonded, Posably hot plugable fun....

USB WANS RULE !!!

Get the hint.... 8)
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm"...

Craig

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:49 am

hmmm... even after reboot of router?.. afair, my WinBox lost all open windows...
It is a little tricky . Don't reboot router with winbox . open a New Terminal and write
system reboot
then your open windows will be saved :)

w0lt

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:57 pm

It is a little tricky . Don't reboot router with winbox . open a New Terminal and write
system reboot
then your open windows will be saved :)
Well you're right, that does work, but the point is it shouldn't have to be that "tricky". I would like to see a feature that would allow you to save window preferences, including column arrangements to a separate file that winbox would read every time it loads. Once saved, it would only be overridden by a save window preferences command again. Or something like that... Anything to relieve me from having to rearrange all my monitoring windows.
MTCNA - 2011

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:59 pm

so you are saying that window layouts are not saved with winbox "reboot" button, but are saved if reboot is typed in terminal? sounds like a bug, I will test

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:16 pm

so you are saying that window layouts are not saved with winbox "reboot" button, but are saved if reboot is typed in terminal? sounds like a bug, I will test
Exactly

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:51 pm

I would like a high port density or cPCIe backplane platform. Support for current generation ds3 and t1 cards and oc cards, like those from imagestream.com,but they are pci not cPCIe :( .

I want to run MT as a routeswitch, on every port in the DC!

I would like to make a similar and possibly easier to implement request. Have a mikrotik utility that makes it a master over a common layer 3/4 switch like procurve, or being able to stack MT hardware to achieve a single interface with large numbers of IO. Command mapping and port information should be transparent and capabilities of the device should available for all overlapping functionality.
Network Consultant in Wichita, KS

ngds
just joined

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Please oh please give me a RB with SFP ports so I can mix and match my interfaces for the requirements.

4 Ethernet Ports - one fixed PoE for power, and three SFP slots for whatever, copper, fiber, etc.
Give it a mid-range CPU so it will still run over PoE
Add one, maybe even two mini-pci slots for some extra flexibility
Also if you can make ROS support hot plugging the SFP's that's even better

Maybe Mikrotik should build a modular router, build a base board and then sell add-on modules for interface types. It would be something like ordering a Cisco access router, then selecting the WIC's you need for your deployment. Put the board in an enclosure with slots for the add-on cards, and simply slide in the cards as needed. Also in this case it's almost a requirement to make the slots hot plugable. That would be a cool device, a base board with one or two ethernet ports, and slots for 4-6 cards supporting anything from WLAN to DSL to fiber. Depending on the design of the cards and enclosure it might end up being a good way to shield WLAN cards from each other as they each have their own slot inside a metal frame.

I mentioned this on Ubiquiti's forums, but you guys may be better to roll out a product faster...I would like to see a 4-5 port switch (RB450 size?) that runs over high power PoE, and can itself supply a few devices with PoE. Then if possible add the option in ROS to power up/down/cycle a port.

I don't use RB1000's as I'm running x86 servers for "big" routers, but make a 1u rackmount case that TWO RB1000's will fit into. In the case install a power supply that runs both boards, and has two external power plugs so we can run off of two power circuits for failover. Some of us are in real data centers moving a lot of packets around, and although I don't fully trust ROS for mission critical networks I'd surely find a use for a pair of 1000's in 1u of space.

gustkiller

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:47 pm

some asic for hardware forwarding and routing!!!!!!
with that cisco will be dead :)
Mikrotik Certified Consultant

maxrate
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:03 am

ADSL mini-PCI card anyone? I would love to see a ADSL or ADSL2+ interface that can be housed right in a router board enclosure. I know many use MT for wireless, but a bunch of us use it for strictly hard wired networks. A lot of our customers or DSL users.

More serial ports would be nice too.
Mikrotik everywhere!

maxrate
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:04 am

Yes - SPF ports are well would be beautiful for fiber!
Mikrotik everywhere!

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:58 pm

I would like to see an option to set bonding of two or more wan interfaces in similar way as bridging - one simply set which interfaces are bonded, set bonding options and afterwards use bonded interface as single wan interface.

As it si now setting bonding in Mikrotik is far from easy and for some uses it is hard to accomplish and hard to maintain or debug if something goes wrong.

ginovilla
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Untagged Vlan on Eth Ports....

Assing Untagged Vlans direclty to Eth Ports

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:19 am

Untagged Vlan on Eth Ports....

Assing Untagged Vlans direclty to Eth Ports
Ethernet port IS untagged VLAN ;)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:20 am

I would like to see an option to set bonding of two or more wan interfaces in similar way as bridging - one simply set which interfaces are bonded, set bonding options and afterwards use bonded interface as single wan interface.

As it si now setting bonding in Mikrotik is far from easy and for some uses it is hard to accomplish and hard to maintain or debug if something goes wrong.
you have to understand the difference between bonding and load balancing. These are not synonyms. And load balancing have to be implemented in a different way depending on situation. There is no such thing as - golden load balancing that everyone have to use.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:24 pm

you have to understand the difference between bonding and load balancing. These are not synonyms. And load balancing have to be implemented in a different way depending on situation. There is no such thing as - golden load balancing that everyone have to use.
I agree. That's where MT is strong, but in most cases there is need for quite simple and standard setup. Demand is such that even some cheap routers has an option to use two wlan's and do load balancing. I do not say that MT should not do this in manner as it is done now, but to provide means for simple, standard setups, which are the most commonly needed.

Here are scenarios that I am pointing:

- user has two broadband internet connections. He just wants to set router to use both as one.

- user has two broadband connections. He wants to use both as one, but he would like to send one type of traffic through one connection and other through other (usually, user wants to place all p2p connections through one internet link, and all other traffic to the other

- user has two broadband connections. He wants to set incoming ports on both connections to be forwarded to single server in lan (usually, it's pop3/smtp server)

- user has two broadband internet connections. He wants to use one of them as main, and other one as backup

These are standard needs, so it would be good if MT can provide means to set them up in an easy manner, which I can see similar to setting up bridging.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:41 pm

as you already pointed out, there are several possible configurations, most of them includes mangle and routing marks.

if you study these topics you could easily configure examples for 2 gateway solutions, or even 3, 4 as there are almost no difference in how many connections you have to balance. That is why thi s page exists:

http://training.mikrotik.com/

as far as i know - when you attend training you get router that is included in training fee, you get certificate that you passed testing successfully.

as a result, you will know some more people that work with RouterOS, you will get more value back from using RouterOS. As result you will get your invested training money back from using product more effectively. Also, that is not only knowledge about RouterOS, it is knowledge about networking as it is.

and then you can make working wiki examples and earn free licenses if your examples are good.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:59 pm

Yes, that is what I meant.

There are far to more frequencies in a list than actual channels, and we usually use channel fequencies only, but if one mistakenly chooses frequency that does not match channel he easily can end up with no connection, as some wireless cards refuse to connect if not on proper frequency.

After all, on wifi it is common to talk about channels, not frequencies. So, if you just put channel numbers in parentheses as QpoX suggested, I would be happy, and I am sure, lot of other users will be too.
I fully support this idea.
How many times did we need to check out which wifi frequency belongs to which channel.
For example, if I see 2427Ghz I have no immediate clue where in the 2.4Ghz band this frequency is located, but if I see "channel no.4" I immediate know it is somewhere in between the lowest, 1 and the middle, 7 channel.
Important to know if you try to separate the channels as much as possible in congested wifi areas.

Winbox is a program that makes routerboard and radio management much more simple but it can still be improved here and there.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Well, an option in winbox to start a new winbox session in a pull down menu if you right click on a registred radio in the wireless registration list.
Now you can ping, mac ping, telnet or mac telnet session to such listed device (if the device accepts the connection) but to open a winbox session, whether is to be a mac one or based on IP, we need to fill in the mac or IP in the winbox loader to start a new session.
I would be nice if such could be done by a short cut in the pull down menu of available options in the wireless registration table.

As winbox fan I also want it to remember the window settings of each routerboard.
Back in the 2.9 family I remember that every window opened (and in that window every data shown) is remembered at a proper winbox session termination so you have that same window config back next time you get into the same unit again with winbox.

After, or somewhere down the line, of the 3.x upgrades this functionality is lost.
Now only some window settings are remembered but most get lost after I close the winbox session.

Like ´inline´ comments, some windows keep that in memory to apply it next time I open, but some don´t.
Also, on some windows I'd like to see some specific columns, for instand the "new packet mark" in mangle, but each time the winbox session is closed while this window in the session was also closed I have to build my window again next time I access this router.
There should also be an option to alter the default start up settings for columns etc.

It would make life so much more easy.... :D

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:23 pm

how about Dude? it's exactly meant for these kinds of multi-router management scenarios
2009-01-29_1322.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:38 pm

I agree, Dude might be the ´killer´ application that works for that. I do believe in that.

I have only two problems with ´Dude´ which stops me from using:
1. Last week installed latest Dude package on Windows PC and ran ´discovery´ tool. It started good, found some of my networks fine but then all remote networks became empty and only the LAN Dude works in is visible. Now whatever I try, networks behind a router don't exist any more. Tried the same on a laptop, same result. So gave up for now, have no time to start trouble shooting here and its exactly the same problem I had two years ago when I tried it.

2. Dude can run on a rb for a remote segment of my physical network. But I installed the package, and tried to use is as agent from the running main package. No access possible! I seem not to be able to reach the agent...

Conclusion:
Dude might work, I have the believe it will. But if that takes now as much time to learn and ´try and error´ find out how to work with it as the rest of ROS, it takes me another year.

So far winbox works very nice with me, but some minor improvements would make life easier if you only use winbox.

Sure, if I have more time in the future (there are only 24 hours in a day!) I will start to chew on the dude. For now I just eat what I already know how it tastes.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:31 am

1. dude can't "see" what you can't ping
2. you have to configure the dude on RB first

nickb

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:19 pm

I'd like to see some kind of support for:

Channelized DS3 Interface
ATM DS3 Interface

Trouble is, I'm not sure there's hardware out there to support :(

I'd love to replace my Cisco 7206 VXR with an x86 Mikrotik.